How long until DVDs go the way of VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by appledan, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist Thread Starter

When do you think DVDs will be phased out and Blu-ray becomes the primary format for pre-recorded and blank optical media? I've been noticing DVD players are so dirt cheap now. You can pick up a brand new one for less than $20.00 at some places. That can't be a good sign.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

DVD is and has been the new VHS for a number of years now.

One Louder likes this.
  3. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist Thread Starter

That's not true. I can still purchase nearly any newly released movie on DVD. That's not the case with VHS.

What I meant originally was, how long until new releases will no longer be offered in standalone DVD format.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

DVD will drag on an on just like VHS did because it's so universal.

MarkO likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The fact blu ray players can play DVDs will lengthen the demise of DVDs.

Hawklord and Ghostworld like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Probably never. Many people don't see the need to upgrade and the studios intend streaming to replace both format eventually.

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Blu-ray will never become the primary format; digital will.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Used DVD's are dirt cheap anymore...

9. DreadPikathulhu

At some point the only legal option to buy will be streaming or subscription, and people are going to wonder why they got rid of all of the DVDs, Blu-ray, or CDs so quickly.

ffracer, jsayers and audiomixer like this.
  10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Look what's happening to the virtual music business

11. Keeping in mind that, much like music formats, the number of titles you can obtain get less and less with each format "upgrade" even though it's easier to distribute.

12. It's still much cheaper to manufacture DVDs than Blu-rays, which should ensure its continued presence as long as people still buy movies on physical formats. VHS was quickly discarded because it wasn't an optical format, hence providing backward compatibility was much more expensive.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

That's my feeling. You will be held captive to streaming or downloading. And usually these are "movie only" features with no added content or higher quality audio available. I would rather have a physical library than a downloaded one.

PhantomStranger, Michael and jsayers like this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

DVDs will be around for a while to come.

15. I thought that Blu-ray was digital?

I think that DVD and Blu-ray will co-exist for some time yet. But steaming/downloading is probably the dominant future.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Blu-Rays will be going away a lot quicker than DVDs will. Digital downloads will overtake Blu-Rays quickly.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just made a few thousand dollars on Amazon selling dvd movies, mostly oop horror, cult and drama. I was surprised at how well they sold and some went for some good coin.

18. DreadPikathulhu

I sold a ton of the major studio DVD releases off a few years back, but kept all of the classic, foreign, independent and "cult" releases. There is no guarantee they will ever show up in a streaming format.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd say that DVD & Blurays' days are numbered. Physical media is so...20th century! :)

20. I'd say digital downloads and streaming may cut into DVD sales before Blu-ray sales. Blu-ray may be more resistant because it offers high definition - something which downloads and streaming struggle with given the poor bandwidth that many consumers still have around the world.

21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

True, though I have to say that Amazon's streaming movies in HD look pretty darn good. Not Blu-Ray good, but quite passable. I'll continue to buy Blu-ray as long as they're offered as I like to have physical media of movies I watch more than once. However, I'm quite happy to stream a movie I'll only watch once.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

DVDs compared to VHS? ridiculous...DVDs will always please most ppl...VHS always sucked...DVD was a grand step up from VHS..DVD: it's here to stay and the used market is fabulous...

Ghostworld and Texastoyz like this.
  23. Michael

Oh yes! I have a massive DVD library and a few BR as well...

24. Michael

Instead of the studios offering the crummy Ultra Violet they should just include a DVD of the movie as well...which in my opinion, will boost the sales of BR when we get a combo.

25. exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.