How loud is your music right now? (SPL meter)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robert C, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an app on my phone called Sound Meter which measures volume using a mock SPL meter. I'm not sure how accurate it is but 81 dB seems to be it's limit, probably due to my phone's microphone.

I've got my music playing at what I would consider a loud listening level. The neighbours can probably hear it, but no one's complaining. I can HEAR the music. I ran the app for a song and the average SPL is coming out as 75 dB, which it equates to 'busy traffic / phone ringtone'.

How loud is your music when you're playing it at your idea of loud?

c-eling likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Thanks to you I just discovered the spl meter on my iPhone no longer works. Haven't used it recently and it seems it has not been upgraded to work with the latest iOS. Gotta find a new one now.

I'm currently playing Dylan's Slow Train Coming at moderate volume. I'd guess no more than 60 spl, but I'll get back to you after I've found a new app. . .

Robert C likes this.
  3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Listening to Billy Squier's Don't Say No. My reading was in the 60-69 range.

4. martinb

martinb Senior Member

Listening to Wishbone Ash - Just Testing. Reading between 77-79, but this is using my Sony Xperia so it's probably inaccurate.

Doesn't seem that loud.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm at around 70 according to my newly downloaded app (with occasional louder peaks). So much for my estimating skills.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I pulled my trusty meter out and found that right now I am listening to music at approx. 78 db SPL.

Robert C likes this.
  7. I just recently bought an SPL meter and set a 1k test tone to 83 db (that was at my listening position about 7-8 ft from my speakers). When I was listening to music I thought it was fairly loud, louder than I usually listen...

Was trying to compare a couple of DACs, so needed to make sure they were at the same volume level.

Robert C likes this.
  8. My level would be dependent on type of meter and what type of weighting used. Instantaneous with a good mic is completely different than "averaging" with a Radio Shack Meter.

I scared myself when I was playing around with my OmniMic. Instantaneous with that can be MUCH higher than the Rat Shack levels.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I keep it around 75dB while I do other things and let the system warm up but once I sit down and pay attention, I push the SPL to a bit over 85dB and have been known to slide it past 90dB when my audiobuds are over.

Robert C and drew phillips like this.
  10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

It's usually in the lower to mid 80s for rock music.

11. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I usually listen to rock and jazz in the low to mid 80's. Sometimes a bit higher, but not often.

Smallman likes this.
  12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Been listening to an amazing Grateful Dead audience tape from 9-9-72 all afternoon. Peaking at around a moderate 55DB. Great for background, but still loud enough to enjoy.

13. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Depends on which SPL meter I use, but peaks around 86 or so, Kate Bush—Hounds on the table.

14. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

No SPL meter. Around 10-1030 (LPs), Around 830-900 (CDs).

15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

16. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

75-77 dB according to my 'ole Radio Shack SPL meter on 'C' weighting. That's loud enough for me. I don't need to blow a driver (or my ears) to enjoy music!

Robert C likes this.
  17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are these reading really what some of you consider loud or just your normal listening level? I think the OP wanted to know the level at which you consider it to be loud.

Robert C likes this.
  18. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I try to keep it in the 70-80's most of the time ... I probably wander into the 90's when I'm really digging something though.

edit: forgot numbers

19. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

"A" Weighted: average 57 dBA, max 63.2 dBA when listening to the slow movement of a string octet on my desktop system. Unweighted tends to run ~10 dB or more higher, but it picks up occasional traffic rumble in the distance, which because it's low frequencies, is not noticeable to the ear.

20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

85, the wife's in Houston.

pscreed, gregorya, timind and 2 others like this.
  21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have the JL app, and right now with no music and only the furnace in the next room going it's around 50 db. My listening room is way too noisy.

22. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Peaks up to 84 db but then noticed the downloaded app tops out at 84. Pretty much useless.

23. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

revising mine again ... I apparently can't make up my mind. It looks like I generally listen in the high 60's with peaks in the 80's.

24. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

And 55 dB of that was midrange. Love that album, hate the production/sound!

25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Or you care about your hearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.