How many vinyl LPs in your music collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fred68, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music Thread Starter

Talking your personal collection, not store stock.

Just curious where my collection ranks among forum members.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Have about a third of my collection now about a few hundred. Couple of big boxes of 45's.

3. LuLu Reed

LuLu Reed Well-Known Member

Slightly less than one thousand.
    Thinking of pruning it to eight hundred. Space reasons.

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

A little over 2,000.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I picked 7,501 to 10,000.
    Last time I tallied 'em up about seven years ago , it was almost 8,000 and I sure did not stop collecting since then.
    Oh well.

jon9091 and Wufnpoof like this.
  6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

About 70. Been collecting for about a year (I'm 18).

vinyl13, Paully, 24voltsdc and 14 others like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Not that many. A couple of thousand.

Thurenity likes this.
  8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

My answer would flip between "not enough" to "too many", depending on the day you asked me. I haven't counted them recently, but it's in the 2000 range. Started in the late 70's, cut way back with the advent of CDs, but never really stopped acquiring it.

It's kind of funny sometimes, when I go out record shopping with a buddy of mine who is more of a recent vinyl convert. He'll always buy 5 to 10 albums every time we go out, and I'll maybe pick up two or three these days. He'll always joke that once again he got more than me, but I have to remind him I've got a 30 year start on him, and already own many of the albums he's just picking up. It's much harder for me to find things I don't already own.

vinyl13, jonathan_s, Ash76 and 4 others like this.
  9. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Love fattening the herd.

10. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Discogs lists me at 960 but I know I have a couple hundred or so not tagged yet. So I would gander I have about 1100 or so. Been collecting since 2008 and started with about a dozen or so from my pops.

mikeburns likes this.
  11. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member

I'm down from ~1,000 to 200. It's been over a year, and I don't miss any of the ones I sold/gave away, and I actually listen to the 200 I kept ;)

candyflip69, Thurenity and Mr Bass like this.
  12. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

About 2,500. I've bought ca: 300 after starting to listen to vinyl again about one year ago. I had a 20 year break from vinyl. I'm so happy that I found the way back. :)

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I haven't cataloged them in a while but somewhere between 800 and 1000

Last week I bought 8 vinyl albums, 7 of those were new vinyl (of old music).

In the previous 15 months, I bought exactly 1 vinyl album.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  14. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Just over 2000, but having moved three times in the last four years has me thinking about what I need for vinyl enjoyment versus what I want.....

15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Will the guy/gal with more than 7,500 LPs in his/her collection please stand up? :D

Micke Lindahl and bug2362 like this.
  16. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have 1755.

1303 LPs, 219 Dbl LPs, 171 2xLP@45rpm, 52 Box Sets & 10 Triple LPs.

I've been collecting for 30 years on and off so not that many. However, I cull quite a bit and have found that my tastes have changed a lot as I have got older. So much more Jazz and Classical purchases in the last ten years.

17. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

While I didn't start until I got my first copy of "Destroyer" in the late 70's, my parents had a bunch of Vinyl. My mom loved Motown and my dad loved John Prine, Bob Dylan (I have yet to decipher a word he has sung), etc., so I was always playing the record player and I still have a few of their albums that I thought were worth keeping. I bought vinyl all the time in my teenage years and while in college. At one point I had well over 3,000 albums not to mentioned CD's. I had to trim the fat and am now down to 112 albums and around 70 to 80 CD's. All my albums and cd's are considered by me, essential and I would never get want to sell them.

candyflip69 likes this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I checked between 101 & 500 (probably closer to 500).

Darryl

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Probably about 1500. I have most everything I bought since the early 70s.

20. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I have just under 500 now- not including box sets.

I used to have 4000+ but when it comes to moving and space is a premium and life takes you to different places etc... I came to realise that a lot of them were there anyway just because people were virtually giving them away. Actually, some I did get for free!

For instance, I don't really need 25 Andy Willams LPs these days (!) - a CD comp and LP or two is sufficient. Hmm- I know what to have a listen of now. Nice and relaxing for a Saturday afternoon! :D

There were dozens of artists from all sorts of genres that I'd end up 'needing' to complete my collection of - even if I wouldn't admit to myself that I was collecting them! So, I got rid of most and kept the 'must haves' and after a time, just added what I knew I'd play often. They're not there just for show... :unhunh:

So I have a couple of dozen classical that supplement my CDs of that genre (they're all 50s & 60s Lps.) About 75 jazz.; nothing too valuable or collectible I suppose (Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, Modern Jazz Quartet, Brubeck reissues, Jaques Louissier - that sort of thing) but enjoyable to me all the same. Then I've got my Easy (Nat, Sinatra, Ella, Billy Eckstine and so on.) A few comedy and compilations, film soundtracks. A handful of essential represses and the rest are rock, pop and a bit of country. My CD collection is probably about 25% bigger and I have something in the region of 800 singles. Hey, I've even got some 10" LPs AND half a dozen 78s. Got a few cassettes as well and Minidiscs. I think I've covered everything.. ;)

chervokas likes this.
  21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

more than I have time to listen to. I need to stop and catch up but its hard with this internet machine

22. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Blimey, I appear to have come out on top with somewhere over 10k. I suspect Steve himself has more. I am going to someone's house later on who has more than 100, 000. You walk through a narrow corridor of piles in the 1st room, and two of the bedrooms and the dining room, doors open partially, piles are over head height filling the rooms. Every room is fairly piled. Not many of them are useless/low value lps at that. If any of you have read Evan Eisenberg's The Recording Angel with all the examples of various collectors in it, you would recognise his life from the scenario of the 1st character in it.
    Anyway, I know I have too many, on the basis of not having enough life ahead of me as a 50 year old to hear them all again, some for the 1st time even. I will be getting rid of big swathes before the summer comes hopefully. As to Roger the record man with his 100,000 - well, you could suggest that the collection owns him, as he is always broke, wife and then girlfriend long gone, and the house is run down. I need to avoid that.

24voltsdc likes this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I still have something on the order of 3,000-4,000 (haven't actually counted in 30 years) records, and that does include box sets but not 7" singles, I probably only have a couple of hundred of those at this point. I'm not a collector in that I'm not trying to find this, that or the other rare edition. But I'm a music lover so over 40 years of record buying and music listening, the collection just got large because I WAS looking for this that or the other piece of music.

But like One Step Beyond above, I've come to the realization that having that many records to store (and in fact many of them have been in storage since a home renovation project years ago), is more of a burden than anything else (and it's a burden I don't want to leave behind for my daughter to have to deal with). And I definitely don't need multiple copies the same music in various editions and formats. So, now that I'm in my 50s I plan to disencumber myself of a fair amount of that vinyl (and maybe of CDs two). There are hundreds of '70s rock and pop that I loved as a kid for example, that I haven't listened to literally in three decades, for example.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  24. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

From Discogs...

1469 LP's
    82 12"
    91 7"

I was over 1500 LP's recently, but did some culling last week.

25. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Yes, and also I would HAVE to get a copy of everything on LP (different pressings, if possible) & CD - and tape, if I saw it!

But now, once I get a good LP or CD version of either- I just stop myself there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.