How much is it worth spending on a phono pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Music Hall MMF 7 TT. I was just wondering how much you are supposed to spend on a phono pre amp relitive to the cost of the TT.

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I'd say it depend not on your current setup but your goals.

Read some reviews, try to translate whatever is said to your experiences and likes/dislikes, do the jump and presto! you have a starting point.

A starting point should be something that you feel at the time of purchase that it may be your final phono preamp or at least one you may keep for some time. No sense in getting something that you will be paranoid about since day one.

I think there are many options between $300 and $800 (new) that are well-reviewed both by magazines and owners. I'd look in that range.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, stretch a bit when you go for the phono amp, even to the point of buying a bit less cartridge. IMO a great pre will make a good cartridge shine, but not the other way around. And tubes, of course--my bias, but magic with vinyl.

John K.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I paid $550 for mine and it holds up to much more expensive models. I've traded CD's where the only difference in gear is the phono stage and CD recorder.

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

The Mac C20 has a nice phono stage. It may be slow, but it sounds sweet

6. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

If your using magnet I'd say not a lot - I'd go for the Rotel 970 or a Creek.

If your using a Moving coil, especially a low output then it is worth spending more. I adore my Linn Linto ,and the Dynavector 75 is also very very good.

A moving magnet stage in a decent amp, ie naim, linn or arcam should do the job.

Tim

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I suggest also going for a used phonostage. Expect to pay at least 40-50% off which can help open up more choices at a certain budget level.

8. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I'd say about $300. There are a lot of decent phono preamps at that price point.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

To be a bit more specific (and not knowing your cartridge) I'd suggest a price range roughly the cost of your 'table (if new) or about half that if used.

John K.

10. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

What Mr.Frederick's say's. Check out the used stuff at your favorite audio salon or dealer. In my case my audio dealer switched companies and became enamored with the Lynn product the new company sold. He offered me his old Mark Levinson ML-12A which is a fabulous preamp in it's own right. Is this my final preamp?, probably!! :D

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I strongly agree with John, go for tubes, it will make for a much more natural sound. Tubes may no give you as much gain as solid state but you can either use a MM cartridge or one of Micro Benz medium output MC's. I personally have an all tube system for analog and I love it. I also agree with the comment that what your phono stage is can really effect the sound you get on a CD copy of an LP.

12. Ken D

Ken D New Member

Consider CJ PV-10A with phono. Used one on Audiogon $450

13. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I ended up ordering the Graham Slee Projects Era Gold stereo phono preamplifier. I should get it in a couple of days so I'll let you know how it sounds. The reviews I read gave it 5 stars. I know you are supposed to test stuff before ordering, but it does have a 30 day money back guarentee.

14. Ken D

Ken D New Member

Steve,

Try Grover's IC between phono amp and your preamp.

- Ken

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Steve.

Sounds like a great piece of equipment. Hope it's all you expect it to be. Let us know.

Where did you get it and how much?

BTW, have you read Bob Reina's review of the Clearaudio Aurum? May be a good match for your new phono pre.

Added later: the full name of the cartridge is Claraudio Aurum Beta S. It is reviewed in the June 2001 Stereophile, in the JBL S38 review. The review of the original model (Aurum Beta)is in the April 2000 issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.