How much memory for a Mac?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Other than ethernet, the previous model had both hdmi and usb & thunderbolt.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

My point is the need to carry additional stuff didn't begin with the 2016 MacBook Pro. I knew lots of people who carried HDMI/displayport to DVI/VGA/etc adapters to ensure they could use legacy projectors during client visits. People who need Ethernet were already carrying an Ethernet adapter. Chances are these folks were also carrying a charger with them, and possibly a mouse too.

So in other words, the life of the road warrior isn't actually any different. Folks are making it out like they used to just walk around with a laptop and now they have to carry all this extra stuff.

SamS likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

In my office, we have corporate laptops supplied by Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, etc. Every meeting room with a display/projector has a cable with permanently attached dongles to convert everything from DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, Mini HDMI, Lighting-to-HDMI, etc. In other words, a MacBook Pro user may only have a slight worse time or need only (max) one more dongle than everyone else around here.

4. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Update: Installed the the SSD and RAM today. Huge difference in speed. Worth the $220 easy. We'll see what it's like when I fire up Premiere.

How did that work out for you? I'm really intrigued, but I've heard of motherboards frying because of these.
    I also understand the speed is a lot lower than the SATA for the HDD.

head_unit and PhilBiker like this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

What you heard is unequivocal crap. I don't even turn the thing off. Used it all day today. It is Sata3 bus so the I/O is mug speedy. I have an loser Mac Pro and the mbp is faster.

head_unit likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Let us know how that works out. I recently did a Hackintosh build, followed instructions to the letter, did everything right, and it just sort of sucked. It "worked", it just had so many idiosyncrasies that I stopped using it and put Linux back on after about five minutes.

7. Jack Flannery

I need to look at what I type. That would be muy speedy.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Weird. I did not say that. That quote should be attributed to @TheVU How much memory for a Mac?

If it matters, I have zero interest in building a hackintosh. Decades of building (and troubleshooting) Windows PCs is why I moved over to Macs in the first place :D

charlie W likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I hear you on that. No idea why it attributed the quote to you, the Steve Forum must run on IIS. ;)

SamS likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Handy reference.
    Thanks !!!

11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I just upgraded my mid-2011 iMac from basic 4 to 8gigs of RAM because I started to do some freelance video editing work with FCPX(Final Cut Pro X) and overall, everything runs much smoother. I may go for another 8gig RAM update because MacMall is having a RAM sale.

12. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

To answer the original OP post.
    For what you describe 4 to 8gb is enough.

head_unit likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:edthumbs: Yeah ..got one.

TheVU likes this.
  14. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

10TB external

15. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It sounds like they may be coming back. At least with the Mac Pro.

alexpop likes this.
  16. Jack Flannery

I run VMware and windows 7 on mine. Mbp is upgraded to 16gb. Mac Pro to 32gb.

17. Jack Flannery

I concur. I think mine is the 2012 model.i ripped out the optical drive and mounted two ssd’s in it.

McLover likes this.
  18. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

FWIW, I'm writing this on my office iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011 4 GB Ram), running macOS 10.12.6 and a virtual machine (Parallels) with XP, wired printer, scanner, WiFi, and an external drive for backups. Performance is good with infrequent glitches or slowdowns.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro

head_unit likes this.
  19. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

What mounting bracket system did you use?

20. That's not RAM.

PhilBiker likes this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My Mac Pro (the can) will retire soon. I ordered an iMac Pro (10-core).

128 GB RAM is too much for my tasks, but 64 GB is the sweet spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.