How much time needed for a cartridge to break in?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmoon, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmoon

jmoon New Member Thread Starter

Even if there are other variables at work that would change your opinion, *generally speaking* how many hours do you think a new cartridge needs to be played before achieving "break in"?

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Generally speaking, 20 hours or so.

3. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

In my experience things tend to get better around ~20-50 hours, but it takes more than 50 hours to get it to really open up.

4. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

You will get almost all of the break-in by 40 hours or so, but, some cartridges will continue to change for quite a while (something I found out about the Transfiguration Orpheus when I tried to make final adjustments too soon).

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

What surprises me is that there are forum members who don't believe a cartridge breaks in.

John K.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

100 hrs minimum.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'll let you know. I'm breaking in an Ortofon 2M Black right now. I've got about 5 hours right now.

8. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Phono cartridges are one of the few components I can easily see the need for a break-in period. I would say it takes somewhere between 10 and 50 hours depending on the cart and materials used.

9. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Me too. I've measured several cartridges that clearly exhibited lower harmonic distortion after about 20 hours than when new. Also some minor tracking ability and frequency-response changes for the better. How is that not break-in? :confused:

I voted for 10 - 50 hrs.

10. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

20-40 hours

11. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

20 - 50 hours.

12. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I chose 50+ hours, and I believe this statement says it best.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I voted more than 50 due the wording of the question, which seems to ask when break-in is complete. You can hear changes before that however throughout the process.

14. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

I voted for 10 to 50 based on my historical logs I kept for the cartridge I'm presently using. At 19 hours it started opening up more, at 32 hours there detail and soundstage was more pronounced and when I played the same music at the 57.5 hour mark, I could not distinguish any further improvements.

I kept the log running up until 223.5 hours and didn't keep up with it after that annotation.

Bob

LitHum05 and PackmanJim like this.
  15. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Or that anything in the signal path else needs to "break in"!

About 50 hours or more to break in a cartridge.

16. 3db

3db New Member

Yeah it takes a couple hours to have my ears broken in to the new sound. :D

17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

That's an excellent point. Once the improvement is truly heard, there is no going back.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi John,

Folks who think it is simply one's getting "used to" the sound might want to try starting with two identical, brand new units (cartridges, cables, etc.). Leave one fresh, in the box and use the other for a week or two. Then switch to the unused one.

If it is simply getting "used to" the sound, does the unused one start out sounding identical to the one you've gotten "used to"? My bet is that you may well have to get "used to" the new one all over again. :rolleyes:

That said, I have found over the years (and said many times on this forum) that different folks have different sensitivities to different aspects of sound. Some folks simply may not hear a change.

I know folks who hear benefits from green marker on CDs or lifting their speaker cables off the floor. I believe them. But I don't hear either of these. On the other hand, break-in of cartridges, cables and other gear is something I find relatively easy to hear.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

50+ hours in my experiences

20. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

3 hours, tops.

21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I said 10-50, as I personally feel that it depends on the cartridge, some may require more of a break-in period than others.

22. 3db

3db New Member

I'll respectfully disagree with you and leave it at that. :cheers:

23. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

30-40 hours is good.

24. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

In a long out of print 'Hi Fi Choice: Cartridges' Martin Colloms found that with very few exceptions the diamond tips on new units were pretty unpolished and in his opinion accelerated record wear for the first tens of plays until the surfaces had some wear on them and got smoother.

With ADC (original), Shure M97HE and Ortofon cartridges I have myself experienced some 'scoring' of new condition albums for the first few plays, then all was fine. These days I don't have much new stuff to use; but I'd break in on a combination of old and new discs if I did it.

(Scoring: as the record is played, the grooves begin to reflect light differently before and after the stylus position, but without any audible noise or damage; a damaged stylus will also do this, but with a lot of distortion)

25. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I'm sure people get used to the sound a bit. But I've also measured frequency-response changes after a few hours of break-in with cartridges from AT, Shure, and Denon. Most recently, my NOS Shure VST-III has flattened out a little bit after a couple of hours. Maybe 0.50dB closer to true neutrality. A little less at 100Hz, a slight bump at 10kHz. Plenty audible, easily measurable. My ATs usually showed a drop-off of harmonics in the upper-mids and treble as they broke-in. Less THD = less harsh, IMO. And less harsh is what a lot of people claim to hear as ATs break-in.

Heckto35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.