How the CD lost its sheen - a 30 year tale of rise and fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've got over 12,000 albums on my server, many of them lossless vinyl rips. I'm sure we could find something to listen to.

Grant and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

That's fair, although I still don't get the issues folks have with actually playing records.

fldveloce likes this.
  3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I do have issues trying to rip all my cd collection..i just completely skipped that step and went directly to streaming...

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Radio? Really? I thought they started with the compression once multi-disc changers started to come in vogue with the great unwashed. When people just wanted to shove a load of discs in the player and hit shuffle, they didn't want to be fiddling with knobs, either at home or in the car.

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have no interest in ripping all of my CDs either.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Go find someone that has a good selection of stuff that you love and have them cue up a few hours worth. You can then sit there and do whatever while the music plays and not have to worry about getting up to flip sides or clean and put another album on.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, I know that and have no problem with it. I'm talking more about everyone being scared of their records degrading or getting damaged. How about just playing records for the sheer fun of it?

Easy-E, John60 and Stallings like this.
  8. Smiths22

Yeah, for me even choosing the ideal format is still a problem. I definitely don't like mp3's sound if i have to choose a format i prefer iTunes plus (UNIFORMITY through all my purchases, physical and digital), but that's not the optimal format, nowadays, if you try to upload all those files to Google Music the system converts them to MP3 256k automatically.

Of course i thought on FLAC too but which level of compression would be better the lowest or the biggest?...also the size of the backup would be huge for me (i'm not rich i can buy a backup HDD but buying 2 its a must for this kind of dangerous stuff, you can lose ALL if you only have 1 backup).
    iTunes can't play FLAC files and winamp is already dead and gone, and no i'm not using foobar2000 for playing flacs in the future...what a horrible GUI.
    Also trying to store FLAC files into iphones 6 with 16GB RAM ends on fail (size of the files and lack of available space).

Apple and the iphone are the kings right now, i can't go too far from them.

My Sony DVD internal burner died last week, now i believe i will never rip my entire collection, i will just better wait for Apple's streaming service..

But i have done 1 thing though: since 2 years ago i'm ripping all the stuff i've bought during each of those years whether is physical or digital into iTunes plus files just in case...

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. Smiths22

If Apple offers its entire catalog for streaming that will pretty much signify the end of the iTunes plus file and perhaps the coup de grâce for the CD specially if the offer is lossless too...

10. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

What level of compression you use for FLAC doesn't matter, it will still be lossless whatever you choose, higher compression-ratio will only try to make the file smaller by utilizing more system-resources while ripping.

11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I know what you mean... I get a little animated myself when I talk about this stuff! ;)

Smiths22 likes this.
  12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Cd burning & MP3. The "threats" to the music bizz.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CDs still shine bright for me...

apesfan and Archtop like this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

Who are these accountants who you are referring to? What are their names?

15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

While I'm more enthusiastic about vinyl, I still collect CDs, because it's difficult to find everything on vinyl.

I will always collect music in a physical format. Don't know how anyone could get excited by MP3 or FLAC files.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Wow....I can remember when it was the other way around back in the mid 80s. I was still buying vinyl because a lot of stuff had not made it to CD. :agree:

Zach Johnson likes this.
  17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

:confused:

18. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

But at the time, cassettes were substantially outselling vinyl (at least here in the U.S.)
    Cassettes passed vinyl for the first time in 1983 and remained the leading medium in terms of sales until 1991.

http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/30-years-of-the-music-industry-looks-like-in-30-seconds-1415243/

20. Smiths22

and now streaming is surpassing cd sale for the first time in 2015. :righton:

[​IMG]

other Physical = vinyl.

21. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Only if you consider yourself one of the lemmings, otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

22. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

They can't.

If I understand the arguments advanced by the score labels, there are a number of reasons to hold production to three thousand units, and that number's apparently no coincidence. I'll try and summarize:

1. Limited demand. Score albums do not sell in huge numbers, not these days. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

2. Payments to the American Federation of Musicians. This is complicated, but apparently a limited run of say, three thousand copies does not incur the same reuse fees from the AFM that an unlimited run does. Intrada has also managed to secure an agreement along the same lines but focusing upon a period of availability rather than a set number of copies to be made. The terms of the labels' deals with the AFM are, as I understand it, the primary control on production. I am uncertain as to whether the licensing of the score to an outside licensee (the score labels) has something to do with it as well.

There are exceptions here. There are, from time to time, unlimited releases for composers whose works are popular enough to justify the expense; Jerry Goldsmith is one of these composers. If you're preparing Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete and chronological with all unused cues, you can probably sell as many copies as you can make; there are a lot of Star Trek fans and Goldsmith completists out there. If you're putting together the score to something that is less well-regarded by someone who doesn't have a built-in fanbase, perhaps you cap production and limit the fees required.

3. The work necessary to prepare the release. To hear the various labels tell it, they spend a fair amount of work researching the score, assembling the elements and then getting into the booth for a quality remastering. Often, there's a lot of archeology and/or restoration necessary, which also drives up the cost.

I'd like to emphasize that I greatly appreciate the work of all the people involved in the composition, conducting, performing, recording and releasing of cinema scores. I do not work in this industry and my remarks are generalized by necessity; none of my remarks are meant as criticism of any party to the aforementioned process. I would say that television and cinema scores constitute at least fifty percent of my listening these days, and that would not be possible without the cooperation of a lot of parties.

apesfan and Purple like this.
  23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

in my experience i found the playing the actual vinyl sounds superior to the rip.

24. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

“I’d have to sell three or four CDs for every one copy on vinyl. It wouldn’t be worth my while.”

The true state of affairs.

Grant and Aftermath like this.
  25. Smiths22

It's pretty interesting how many of us end talking about vinyl in a thread that has nothing to do about it....obsession? a drop of trolling? maybe...

Grant and sathvyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.