How the CD lost its sheen - a 30 year tale of rise and fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

The problem with CD isn't CD--the music's all there--it's the below par performance of the average D/A conversion (DAC).
    Stereophile wrote at length once Mark Levinson released their separate two piece CD player / d/a converter back in 1991 or
    '92, that "Philips & Sony, the developers of the Compact Disc, were just about right with their 16/44 standard...." CD is like
    the internal combustion engine, where as, the potential is all there and you and I will be there waiting when they unleash a
    suitable technology that'll allow us to get closer to our most beloved, oober-repurchased musical performances, as in, with
    modern technology the average vehicle should be getting 100+ miles to a gallon, and as per CD, we should be getting chip-
    sets costing nothing in the average CD player capable of bringing Keith Moon and John Entwhistle back to life and from the
    dead, literally into our living rooms aurally when listening to Who's Next or Tommy or Who Are You or Quadrophenia, but
    oddly, like the internal combustion engine, we get better machined hardware and yet the same ho-hum specs / performance
    to choose from.... C'mon GM / Ford / all others along with Sony / Philips / Samsung / LG / Panasonic, let's get a 75mpg
    Ford F-150 along with analog D/A converting chips in our disc players that'll put bands in real aural space into our waiting,
    aural open arms for God sake living rooms....

Pick up a vinyl LP and all of the music is there if you're up to getting a top-shelf needle and maybe phono-pre amp..... Take
    such thought and send it digital's way, so all CDs in all types of stereo systems bring the artist aurally into your listening
    room, in a most affordable fashion........ "Redbook CD has that upper midrange/treble glare..." No shoes, wthe DAC chip in
    your & my CD players are cheap garbage only capable of bland aural results. Anyone know where me and my keen hearing
    are coming from out here on this forum...??

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  2. GARY GRIFFITHS

GARY GRIFFITHS Well-Known Member

I have bought thousands of CDs over the past 25 years but now only really listen to them in the car. I use spotify on my phone to listen to music while I am at work and vinyl for when I am at home. To be honest I am unsure of what to do with all my CDs as they take a lot of space around the house and with our first baby on the way space is at a premium.

3. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yep. If you have a well-mastered cd and a good player, then you get the most out of what you have, same as when you have a really good pressing of an LP on a decent turntable/amp combo.

Good, well-mastered CDs through a decent setup sound great. Good, well-mastered LPs through a decent setup sound great.

I've been listening to CDs on my DVD player through the Marantz. It seems to have a better audio converter than the early 90s Panasonic that replaced the Marantz CD player I had.

I'd like to get an awesome Music Hall or Marantz, something with a really good DAC. Any suggestions??

People also overlook their speakers - A LOT, both in quality and condition.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    apesfan likes this.
  4. telepicker97

I take donations :D

SteelyTom likes this.
  5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Lovely article....very illustrating was the description of the 'boom'-era in the '90s when the cd sold by the gazillions, production costs decreased, prices got higher. I think in this era the manufacturers could have spend serious money to improve on the product, but they didn't and went for the nice high profits and surfed along until the wave of succes started to lose its momentum. The SACD was/is promising, but never had a proper promotion....

6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I can't even begin to understand this type of comment. It's going to be hard to convince me that those Telarc cd and those Flim & The B.B.s cds from DMP weren't "close to a record".

The fact is, there was fantastic cds in the 80's, and there was garbage. But guess what, there was garbage LPs in the 80's also.

For most consumers, the fact is, it's much easier and CHEAPER to get "very good" sound from a cd and cd player. To get something comparable sounding in an LP format, it will cost much more. $400 would get you a good cd player, while a good turntable/phono cartridge setup would be much more, In addition, there is work to keeping the stylus clean, and it'll eventually wear out or break. CD players made good audio possible(and more appealing) to the masses. (keep in mind that us SH forum members AREN'T typical consumers).

billnunan and xcqn like this.
  7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I used to think that too till I got a good vinyl setup.No question vinyl as a physical disc right now cost much more than CDs but is also much more musical.In other words at lower prices vinyl sounds better,cd on the other hand takes much more $$$ in DACs/players to get to that level of musicality/ease

Easy-E and telepicker97 like this.
  8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

It's all about the mastering, vinyl doesn't inheritly sound better than digital.

9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Better than 16/44 it does.Most of the time

Easy-E likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes. Although physical media is becoming somthing only a serious music lover and audiophile is purchasing. In that context, the subject is relavent to the conversation.

If vinyl isn't taking away some of the cd market, hi-res music files certainly are. The idea that the cd is the best posible format for sonic quality is quickly losing favor.

11. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I agree, for the same price or lower i would rather have 96/24 or 192/24 than redbook. I like cds being a physical thing with nice booklets and such. If SACD would have taken of like it should i would much rather be collecting those.

With HDTracks, Pono and others suplying hi-res (often better mastered) i see no reason to buy new stuff on cd anymore. Why would i buy into that old format when the content sounds about the same or worse than the hi-res?

It's not like any care goes into cd manufactoring these days either, except for Japan releases.

12. pablo

pablo Forum Resident

I guess in technical terms, if you do not play the CD, but copy it onto computer, then copy onto ipod, or Fiio, or such device, you no longer are using the CD as a physical format, only as a storage format. IMO, moving the file onto a player that has no AC power supply, or electric motor, fundamentally changes the quality of the playback, if you are using uncompressed files. Resolution higher than 16/44 could be good, I haven't had the chance to try it. Removing many of the noise inducing components out of the signal chain has led me to an greater appreciation of the Nyquist sampling theorem, though. Especially when many of the CD's I've been listening to will never be put onto good vinyl or hi-rez. And still, the mastering makes the greater difference.

apesfan likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I just love that people feel compelled to completely abandon one musical medium in favor of another. I picked up a lot of cheap vinyl in the 90's and now I'm doing the same with CD's. Perhaps one day the masses will realize that it's okay to have LP's, CD's and Downloads and that it doesn't break any laws to enjoy all three. Until then though, feel free to keep those cheap CD's coming.....

Grant, JoeRockhead, apesfan and 6 others like this.
  14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Lol you know what i mean another vinyl vs cd thread, but we can change that path.

Hi rez files are still only a niche. Perhaps popular in the States but not world wide.

ITunes thats World wide.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The play side of my CDs are bright. I gotta wear shades.

[​IMG]

billnunan, nightstand68 and ShawnX like this.
  16. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agree completely.

17. telepicker97

I'm with ya.

18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Ah yes...but could you specify the early, uncompressed master of Love it to Death ? Or the 'secret' remaster of Rumours ?

Not sure...but does streaming allow a choice of masterings ? I have my doubts.

19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh, I agree with you, I want that level of control with my listening choices too. But, 99.999999% of the world doesn't give a $h!t. (As my family and friends at work remind me almost daily.)

I love CDs, and vinyl, and even cassette... I don't trust the "powers that be," especially after reading about the various schemes and megalomaniacal plots for maximizing profit at the expense of... literally... everybody else on the planet. I mean some of the schemes are just super-villain stupid... I heard about one company that wanted to embed codes in it's material so that every time you heard even a snippet of a song it would ding your credit card, even if you heard it being used in a movie, or TV, or just heard it from a booming radio as a car passed. Unfortunately, they concluded, technology just wasn't there, yet, but one day...

No, I want my own control. I don't want a fight between Taylor Swift and Spotify to dictate what I can hear, when I want to hear it. Dammit, I'll just go pull out my Taylor Swift CDs and listen anytime I damn well please. (full disclosure... I would NEVER EVER actually listen to Taylor Swift for any reason, and I'd NEVER EVER own a CD from her).

ShawnX likes this.
  20. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

My CD's aren't going anywhere. If I'm on the go, nothing beats my iPod, but for sitting down and listening it's either CD or vinyl.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'll go you one better....I'll say it's 99.9999999% of the world ! :D

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

This article was brought to you by Spotify.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  23. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thank you for the link! That was a good read.

Besides everything else in the article, I also found, thanks for mr. Castaldo, a crucial hint on why me and several of my friends were so reluctant even to consider the CD as a serious alternative to LP (of course, there already had been one alternative available, the c-cassette, and that turned out to be a rather classless one).

For us, real or wannabe academics/humanists/intellectuals/whatever, all the yuppie favourites were deemed to be banned.

24. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I take the off your hands.

:)

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/anyone-else-dumping-their-jewel-cases.272053/

hurple likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.