How To Achieve The "Valve" Sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Smallwood, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Smallwood

Matt Smallwood Member Thread Starter

Hi there
    So I really want to get into tube equipment, because (from the little I've heard in person) the sound is completely unique, and one of the reasons I started with Vinyl was for the "warm" and friendly tone, which the valve perfectly compliments.
    My current system is a Dual 505-3 turntable through a (Solid State) Project Phono Box preamp, into my power amp.
    Is there anyway I can affordably achieve the "valve sound"? My budget is embarrassingly low...
    First off, what valve stage do I want to be looking for? For example, do I want a valve phono preamp (to replace the phono box) or a preamp in-between the phono box and power amp?
    And of course... Cost... As I'm just starting what is the cheapest thing I can find which will sound OK? I am perfectly happy buying second hand, and/or replacing parts or repairing etc.
    Thanks in advance!

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Forget about it until you can afford it. Most SS phono pres outperform tube phono pres. The reason is the tubes introduce noise at that most sensitive stage. The best solution is usually a tube integrated amp or a tube preamp and power amp. I almost always use a SS phono stage as the tube stages that can compete with the better SS units run thousands of dollars and have only that one function, so it's a lot of money for a little difference. So it's all going to be expensive, no matter which route you choose. If you choose the cheapest route, a phono preamp with tubes, you'll get little improvement, if any and if you choose to upgrade the whole system, well, you get the idea.

You might literally stumble onto an old tube integrated amp, which will certainly have a built-in phono stage. That has some tube magic but also noise and maintenance (as well as fire) risk associated with it as side effects. maybe you will get lucky and find one of those for less than a phono stage upgrade, but never leave it on when you leave the house.
    -Bill

saturdayboy likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

embarrassing low budget and tubes don't go well together. Some folks use and enjoy the project tube box but that is about as low cost as you can go. You might find one used for $400. The cheap ones are a tube hybrid and the really cheap ones just have tubes as a decoration.

I would recommend waiting until you can and want to spend over $1,000 before you get into a tube phono stage.

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Last year I was lucky to find a re-capped '59 Fisher X-100 amp for a mere $400 and it sounds delightful. But Bill is correct that a nearly 60-year-old unit has its quirks and requires some delicate and careful handling.

In the past month I have had to spend $135 to have some issues addressed (the transformer needed grounding) and another $108 on a quad of replacement 12AX7's.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

The Bottlehead Quickie is fairly inexpensive and will give you the taste you're looking for if you don't mind a little DIY.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'd go vintage integrated.Fisher or Leak which is British.Have it serviced and you should be good.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Isn't heath kit British? Those can be very nice with the right speakers.

8. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Not sure but it would be good to find something local.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That can be a slippery slope if you're not sure what you're getting yourself into, especially if $$ is tight. It's hard for a non-tech to know how much work it will need, if all parts are intact and usable, if the tubes are OK, etc.

It's much wiser to buy something that has already been looked over and gone through, assuming the price is within budget.

Henry Love likes this.
  10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

11. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I first heard the Leak Stereo 20 in the 1990,s
    And had to have one.
    That's when i finally began to understand what sound quality
    Is about. it's not perfect i supposed
    But once i start listening i just forget about Hi-fi
    Best to get it rebuilt. Then you start fron scratch.

12. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

The cheapest phono pre that I have personal experience with and can recommend is the Tavish Design Vintage 6SL7 Phono Stage. Quiet, holographic soundstaging and great bass. I'm not sure if $600 is above your budget but a used one could come along.
    Vintage 6SL7 Phono Stage (MM / MC)

13. Matt Smallwood

Matt Smallwood Member Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies and information, I'm going to keep an eye out for anything second hand that pops up but until then I'll have to start saving up. I'm hesitant to spend even £600 on a valve preamp when I spent £80 on my dual turntable for example... So I'll have to wait and see.
    A couple more questions:
    Which stage (if it were valve) would give me the strongest valve sound? A would a preamp (not necessarily phono) still inject a little or should I look at getting a valve power amp?
    Also, what hazards come with valve technology? Are fire risks still a problem even with modern compononets? How often do valves need replacing?
    Many thanks

14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Not sure if headphones are your thing at all. In my bedroom my vinyl listening is strictly headphone. I use Grado 125's plugged directly into my Bellari VP 130. Some aren't sold on the sound, but for 250-350 USD it's pretty good. I did take out the cheap stock 12ax7 and install one of my beloved Raytheon blackplate 12ax7a. I have never listened through amp/speakers with the Bellari. I admit my tube setups in other rooms use a SS phono pre. Just an affordable idea for thought.

15. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Consider the Rolls Bellari phono stage. It takes a single 12ax7 and it's various compatible tubes. I have one, and I have rolled tubes with it. It is not all that expensive, and will give you some of the tube sound you looking for. Remember it is a hybrid ss/tube. As a bonus, it has a headphone output as well. As the previous post stated it is not for everyone, but I like mine. If you can find a nos tung-sol, it can sound outstanding. Another good tube is the Ei 12ax7, it defiantly will give you that tube sound.

16. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I would think about saving up for a tube pre-amp. This will give you some of that tube sound across all of your inputs. I find it really helps add that "warmth" to digital inputs - CDs, DVDs, laptop, XM, etc...

As you mentioned you are on a tight budget, have you considered a vintage silver faced Marantz receiver? They don't have tubes, but they are well known for their great warm sound. They also have great phono stages. Keeping vintage sounding great can be a bit of work though.

dirtymac likes this.
  17. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I'm of the opinion that tube amplifier is more important than a tube preamp for "tube sound"

18. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

For not much money at all you could get a Little Dot headphone amp/preamplifier. I have one and it's pretty warm and is great for the money. Wouldn't compete at all with something like a Fisher receiver, but would be real nice and would give you a strong taste of tube sound.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

A tube buffer might be a more affordable and reversible entry into valves.

20. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Yes that is a good idea as well.

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is basically how I used the Bottlehead Quickie as I don't normally use a pre-amp in my setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.