How to convert 24-bit FLAC to 16-bit FLAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by evh5150, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a set of 24-but FLAC files on my hard disk that I want to convert to 16-bit for use on an audio CD. What's the best way to go about doing this?

I use the Goldwave program and could just load the file and then save it as a 16-bit FLAC. But will this method give a satisfactory result, or is there a better way?

Thanks in advanced for any opinions!

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I like the dbPowerAmp music converter

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

though I'd have thought any competent audio application would do this satisfactorily.

Tim

3. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

You will want to use a ditherer, some are free and some are thousands of dollars. You can try one of the really good ones for free in their demo, get the ozone demo and use the mbit+ feature: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

4. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

I believe Audacity can do this and its free

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

This type of program is based on algorithms and some programs do a much better job of it than others.

Various forum members have recommended Sound Forge by Sony in the past. It is supposed to be one of the better programs out there.

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

No one asked but if anyone using Linux is wondering and stumbles on this thread (I know, better odds on the jackpot in the CA lottery), the burning app k3b will handle it for you (assuming one doesn't want to use the other tools available). Load the 24bit flac into an audio CD tracklist and it'll convert as appropriate before the burnin'.

7. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Your best bet is to use a program like Audacity or Adobe Audition to convert the files to 16 bit wav.

You don't mention the sample rate, to make a CD you want the sample rate to be 44.1kHz. If these flac files aren't already encoded at that sample rate then you're definitely better off using an editing program than just a simple conversion program, you'll get better sounding results.

8. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

The last forum consensus I recall concerning free dither/samplers was that SoX was the best.

9. leir

leir Forum Resident

10. evh5150

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone know if simply saving the file as 16bit in Goldwave is an adequate conversion?

11. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

If you can't hear the dithering artifacts, then it's good enough for you!

12. evh5150

My ears are getting better the more time I spend on this forum. Hopefully in six months in won't bother me. :p

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.