How to Download an ISO File

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Audiophile65, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know it might be uncustomary to ask this question on the Music forum, but someone downloaded to me an .iso file (via Dropbox) that contains a .dsf file.

I have to go to a public library since my CA system is not up and running just yet -- and use one of their computers to download the file.

All I need to do is download this .iso and somehow transfer the .iso to my USB thumb drive -- NOT TO OPEN THE .ISO!!

I'm wondering if I may be able to use the following freeware to accomplish this:

How to extract the contents from an .ISO file without burning the .ISO to disc.

Any help would be appreciated. Someone might have to let me know if I need to burn the iso onto a disc.

2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Are you sure your library will allow you to stick a USB drive in their computer?

3. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Likely the computer is locked to stop downloading of any files from the Internet directly - if not, assuming it's Windows right click and save as to your drive under This PC (Windows 10).

Should be pretty easy - however just ask someone there who looks computer literate if it isn't a limitation outright anyway.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is probably because downloading files breaks the DMCA.

5. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I use Virtual Clone Drive to read ISO files, no need to burn to disc.

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

So someone is giving you a burned copy of an SACD, which is illegal, and you are asking about it here? Only thing that could top that would be if the SACD were mastered by our host. :)

As an FYI - and in case you read this before this thread gets deleted by a Gort - an SACD ISO doesn't exactly "contain" a DSF. You have to convert the ISO to DSD (or to put it another way, extract the data and convert to DSF format). So you can't use generic ISO software meant to work with ISOs that are computer hard-disk or CD/DVD images. Instead, you need specialized, although free, software meant specifically for SACD ISOs: Sonore - ISO2DSD - converts ISO files to DSD

7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

DCMA has no part in this, come now.

He's downloading a file from drop box, even if the file in question was something he didn't own... nevermind.

ricks likes this.
  8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Also keep in mind that this file is going to be 3-4 GB in size, if it is indeed an ISO, and bigger if it is already split into .dsf files (bigger again if it is 2-ch + M-ch).

Why not ask a neighbor or colleague to download it onto a USB stick for you?

Failing that, do you have a laptop and a Starbucks (or similar) close by? Grab a coffee and DL on their free Wi-Fi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.