How to improve the efficiency of my RCM cleaning workflow?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am truly happy that I recently decided to buy myself a record cleaning machine. I thought the hassle of it would be a pain in the butt, and that I would not get a noticeable improvement in any way. Turns out I was wrong about that, but what I wasn't expecting was it to be such a tedious and time consuming process.

I ended up going with the squeaky clean rcm, which you just hook up a shop vac to. I preferred this as I imagined the reservoir on one of those other machines would be another hassle to put up with.

Anyways, I am wondering if there really is anything I could do in my workflow differently to speed up the process. This is my workflow:

1. First of all I place the record onto the platter of the rcm. Hopefully people are familiar with how this RCM works. So basically I put it on the platter and put the puck on top. The rcm came with a velvet flat brush, which I use to spread the enzyme cleaner around. I am using the MoFi enzyme cleaner as most it was one of the easiest (and actually affordable) cleaning solutions that I could get easily from one province over. Anyways, I put some of this stuff on the record and spread it around evenly. This whole process from record sleeve to enzyme cleaner on the platter is about 3 minutes.

2. the instructions say to leave for a max of 5 minutes, but I have been using 6 as it seems to help with the loose particles the stylus picks up later on..... Maybe this could be reduced without much change in results (maybe I am doing something wrong?)

3. once thats done, I fire up the vaccuum and do 1-2 rotations (sometimes 3 if I still see streaks).

4. I use an old record brush that I ruined when it got wet (one of those carbon fiber things) to spread distilled water, then rinse again (2-3 rotations usually), and then I rinse a second time as per some suggestions here from another thread.

5.once this is done I slide the record into a new sleeve, and wait 1-2 minutes before putting the LP back into the outer.

So this is basically it. I am not sure what I can really do to improve the efficiency of this process. I've heard of other fluids that people suggested that do not require a rinse stage, but I feel like its something that should be done.

At the same time, I understand that I am cleaning my records with one of the best possible cleaning techniques (the rcm itself) and sometimes results need time. Any thoughts on this? the only thing I thought of doing was maybe getting a microfiber cloth where I can move the record to while it is soaking in the enzymes. Not sure if removing it from the platter would cause the liquid to spill off though.

I would appreciate any input regarding RCM workflow.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unless you want to switch to a one step record cleaning solution, there isn't much you can do to speed things up. If your records are primarily new then a one step cleaner is probably okay. If you're like me, and half or more of your purchases are used LPs, then you want to keep the enzyme cleaner around for those. Removing a record from the RCM platter while soaking is just going to make a mess.

nosliw and dbsea like this.
  3. colby2415

Yeah, I don't think that would be worth it to be honest. I find it helps to bring a book or something to do while you wait between, also that vacuum gets so damn annoying so I use ear muffs that block most of the noise.

Other than that, is there really anything else I'm doing wrong, or is my method pretty good? Everyone probably has their own opinion on my method.

I think you mentioned you have/had the squeaky clean rcm? What is your workflow. Is any dust on the stylus after the first play typical?

4. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

If the LP is clean and dry enough to go into a new sleeve then why the need for a 1-2 min wait before it can be placed into an outer? Just curious about this point...perhaps I have misunderstood.

5. colby2415

This is just in case I get some liquid (either the enzyme cleaner or water) on the outside of the inner sleeve.
    I put the jacket in an outer sleeve with the inner in behind the jacket. This is more to make sure I don't get liquid on the cardboard jackets.

You might think... what am I doing that is getting them wet? well i use a distilled sprayer and just wanna make sure the mist doesn't land on the sleeve.

6. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I've got a VPI 16.5, two vacuum pick up tube assemblies (one for cleanser and one for rinse made up of this part and this part) and two of these brushes (one for cleanser and one for rinse). I use this cleanser and either distilled water or Aquafina to rinse. I load an LP on the platter and start it spinning. While it's spinning I either wet the brush with cleaner or squirt cleaner directly on the LP and "scrub" the LP in the direction of the grooves for no more than 15-20 seconds and vacuum that up in 1.5 revolutions (more revolutions than that can introduce static). Swap out the vacuum tube assembly to the rinse version and repeat. Turn the LP over and do it all again. No more than 3-4 minutes start to finish and perfectly quiet records as a result, 1,000's of them. I've cleaned filthy records with this method with stellar results. In the absolute rarest cases I've had to do it twice, but very rarely.

7. colby2415

Then I can't see what I am doing wrong. Unless I have to do them twice... and so it starts. I thought the RCM would be the "one time cleaning solution" but guess not.... Already bought a high end cleaner (the enzyme mofi), so I doubt it's that. Maybe this is just such a small amount that it's not worth it. Just want to shake the feeling that I'm not using the RCM properly (all that time spent cleaning)...

8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I'm not following what you mean? At least for my experience the RCM process IS a "one time cleaning solution". Other than the very rare instance that I need to clean a really dirty LP twice (although I no longer buy really dirty LP's), I can't think of any LP that I've had to run through the RCM process again weeks/months/years later. It's pretty much a "one and done" process. After that it's just quick whisp with an antistatic brush before each play.

9. colby2415

Something definitely must be wrong then... I get that I shouldn't have to clean them again, but my issues that I documented on another thread are still there. A bit of crap on the stylus after each side. It doesn't matter that I use the RCM, and in fact it probably is worse now than it was before I got the RCM. Anyways, half of the people claim that the stylus will dredge stuff up after RCM Cleaning and the other half say you aren't doing it right...... Maybe just being a little ocd about it.

10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

In your workflow above I don't see where you do any "scubbing" of the cleanser after your 5-6 minute soak. Using the cleaner brush I linked in my first post I literally "scrub" into the grooves in the direction of the grooves in a back and forth motion. The intent being that the microfibers of the brush get all the way to the bottom of the grooves with the cleansing fluid. After that I get very little, if any, crud build up on my stylus. I don't think you're being OCD about it. A clean record will not, should not yield crud on the stylus after a play.

11. colby2415

If by scrub you mean go back and forth on the record with the brush... yes I do a bit of this for maybe 10-20 seconds. Do you think this is the issue? Maybe the brush I am using isn't that great? I would get the mofi brush, but I cannot find it anywhere local and it would cost quite a bit of cash... Not sure what else I can really use. some say to try very fine paintbrushes... not sure if that will work well or not. And I do press down a bit on the brush when going back and forth.... I am sure static is part of this, but I don't know.... The frustrating part is this is something that i cannot easily pinpoint and feel like I am going in circles.

12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Yes, that's what I mean by scrubbing. I've only ever used the brush I indicated so that's the only one I can recommend. I don't know what "quite a bit of cash" is to you, but I would pay $100 to avoid the kind of aggravation you seem to be experiencing. I wish you the best of luck!

13. colby2415

The thing is. How do I know it's even going to make a difference? Either my problems are introduced due to the way rcm brushing method or the static from the dry air.... or both. Not sure what type of money I'm willing to put down but it will either be a zerostat or a brush (both of which I won't know for sure whether they will help). As aggravating as this is, there is a limit to what I'd be willing to spend. Zerostat is about 100 while the brush will be 40-50 (thank duty fees for that).

14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Forget Zerostat! If your problem is static this is your answer.

But static is not leaving gunk on your stylus. If you’re getting gunk on your stylus your records are not clean.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think the way I clean is very similar to what you do. I always do at least two rinse cycles. I have separate Squeaky wands for cleaning and rinsing, as well as separate 3D printed brushes. I'm not sure if SQ is still making those brushes or not - they are similar to MOFI and Disc Doctor brushes. For cleaning fluid I use AI #15. All records get re-sleeved after cleaning in new MOFI inners. Also I use a Zerostat if there is any trace of static after vacuuming.

Re: dust on the stylus, generally no. With old records that were very dirty, sometimes. I will usually do a second RCM clean on those after the first play if I notice gunk on the stylus.

G E likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I see some people are talking about scrubbing. I don't scrub like some people do. I only apply very light pressure and a back and forth motion to agitate the fluid and the water while using the RCM. I find that does the trick.

17. colby2415

I could see this maybe being the case if this problem was just with used records I acquired... but its not. I have a van morrison RE from a few yrs back that I bought new. Always had a static problem with that specific lp. But there is used lp's that don't have static that have this issue. That I could see being caused by stuff still being there.. This is what makes me think its a combination of the both.... I'll check out that brush anyhow.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One more thing: if you are using the same brushes and wands for cleaning fluid and rinse cycles they are going to get dirty over time. You'll need to clean them more often in that case. The felt type record cleaning brushes for RCM use will pick up a lot of dust you can see after you're done cleaning a batch of records. Wait until the brush is dry and use a squeegee motion with your thumb to remove all the dust. Then wash the brush and let it air dry.

19. colby2415

Is it like the brush that came with the RCM (made out of 3d printed plastic, and I think it says canfab 3d or something on it. The bottom is velvet-like. I use this for the enzyme stage. He apparently doesn't sell them anymore iirc but you do get one with the kit.

Hmm... could this be a part of it? Maybe. I never actually gave it a wash like that. Is that something I should do after each rcm session? I think I can try rinsing it off in a bucket of water, and see what kinda crud shows.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep. I have two of those.

21. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Scotch

:cheers:

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  22. colby2415

So basically we are very similar in our cleaning methods. Just that you use a different cleaner and clean your wand pieces more often.... The man who sells these RCM's actually suggested to me over email that he now uses paint brushes instead and suggested I try that. Will also reach out to him regarding this aggravating issue as well.

Something I think i'd need after all these issues...

23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I agree and I think this is an often overlooked point, and why I use separate brushes and vacuum wands for cleaning and rinsing. I also replace them for often. It’s a small price to pay for quiet vinyl.

24. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

I have a RCM, the motor turns both directions. I started out using a soft paint brush to work the fluid in the grooves, I did not think that was working very well. I then purchased the mofi brush, similar to timztunz brush, and I can feel mofi pad gripping the lp. I use just a slight amount of down force. I don't think you are getting your brush, and fluid into the record grooves.

I do not let the fluid sit. Two rotations forward and two reverse, repeat a few more times. You may only want to repeat once as you have to turn the platter. I use another mofi brush for the rinse cycle.

I do not have any gunk on the stylus and the lp's are static free. My vacuum puts a good amount of pressure on the lp, so I know it is sucking the grooves clean.

I also have a velvet brush that I spray with water to pre clean newly purchased dirty used lp's so I am not rubbing visible crap into the record.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    timztunz likes this.
  25. colby2415

All things considered it could be the cause. But there is the odd new lp that after cleaning does not dredge stuff up.. I dunno. Guess i'll have to go back and clean them again.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.