How to improve the efficiency of my RCM cleaning workflow?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have seen that he uses paintbrushes now. Never tried them. I did try paint pads once, but don't recommend them. Some brands will scratch records and they all seem to shed fibers.

2. G E

G E Senior Member

I use disc doctor cleaner.

Squirt liquid on record and also the cleaning pad if just beginning cleaning session

If no serious dirt is seen I hold the brush on radius of hole to edge for three revolutions. I reverse the motor for six revolutions. Then run the motor forward for 3 more turns.

If I have dirty records I scrub following the groves. Never across.

I then vacuum off the cleaning solution. Two revolutions.

I then run two rinse cycles just like the cleaning cycle. I use a 2nd brush for rinse. These brushes are marked wash and rinse and used for that purpose.

Then do the other side.

I like to use plenty of liquid especially on rinse cycle.

No static issues. Dry air is rare around these parts.

It isn't efficient but it works great and a record rarely needs to be redone.

timztunz likes this.
  3. Dominator

Dominator Forum Resident

I use the Mofi Enzyme cleaner for records with fingerprints or on records that have excessive pops. What I have noticed is that I often get some grunge on the stylus after using the enzyme cleaner.

4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've an Okki Nokki RCM and this is my work flow:

1. Starting the platter anti clockwise, dry clean the record with a optic carbon fiber brush.
    2. I put on L'Art du Son cleaning solution, spreading out the solution and scrubbing the record with the Okki Nokki goat hair brush for 4-5 rotations and sometimes even more if the record is very dirty.
    3. If the record is really dirty I first spread out the solution over the record (avoiding the label of course) and let it stay on for 5-6 minutes dissolving the dirt.
    4. Repeating 2 with the platter in clockwise rotation.
    5. Vacuum 2-3 rotations. Repeat 2-5 if the record is very dirty, sometimes repeat multiple times until it's really clean.
    6. Removing the record and before cleaning side 2 I clean the platter with a sticky lint roller.
    7. Repeating 1-5 on side 2.

All this works perfectly for me and the results have always been great so far.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Took some experimenting and experience to come up with this. Been cleaning records (Vacuum) since 1991, only in the last 5 years have I been satisfied with my process.

My method 8 mins per side . This is TOO long for some people. :sigh:

Milty ZeroStat vinyl surface.
    Wipe gently with record cloth over label/surface removing dust/debris.
    Blow compressed air (short burst) over vinyl surface once the record is on the platter removing the last bit of dust/debris.

Disc Doctor brush #1 few drops of VPI fluid with 91% isopropyl alcohol added with a couple of drops of Rona Window Cleaner
    (alcohol based), 3 caps of white/clear vinegar. 75%/25% distilled/alcohol mix
    Apply to surface>
    Gently scrub back/forth motion (per disc doctor instructions).
    Leave Disc Doctor brush #1 on the surface and let the platter rotate 2 times forward/back both directions.

*Vacuum forward 2 times/reverse 2 ½ times*

Disc Doctor brush #2 few drops of Disc Doctor fluid.
    Gently scrub back/forth motion (per disc doctor instructions). Remove foamed fluid with DD brush.
    Leave Disc Doctor brush #2 on the surface and let the platter rotate 2 times forward/back both directions.

Add distilled water to a last applicator and apply to vinyl surface let rotate 2 times back/forth.

Add distilled water to Cyclone brush, apply to vinyl surface let rotate 2 times back/forth.

Last Record Preservative added, let rotate 3-4.

:goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.