how to maximum audio files on CDR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by howardg6, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi
    I want to get as many audio files on a CDR as possible (as long as sound quality is ok)to play in the car. I have compressed WAV and MP3 files using both a compression tool called DietMP3 and the Nero encoder. However when I drag the compressed files using Nero
    (ver. 6.6.0.12) the compressed files take up the same space on the duration/timeline as the original uncompressed files. How can a 3,000kb take up the same space as a 70,000kb file. Any help appreciated.

2. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Burn it as a data disc, not audio CD.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Do you mean maximize?

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yes, but your car CD player must be able to play mp3s not just CDRs.

5. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Right, because otherwise, it will convert the compressed files into an audio CD.

6. howardg6

Thanks for the replies.Yes I meant maximize. AS my car CD player seems to handle MP3 I will try this method of conversion. Can anyone recommend a MP3 converter that will compress files to get more tracks on a CDR & burn the compilation.
    THANKS AGAIN.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recommend making your files smaler by using a lower bit rate, but it ain't gonna sound very good.

8. howardg6

Can WAV files be compressed, not converted to MP3 etc, and then burned in their compressed form as WAV files using NERO or other recommended software.

9. esa

esa Forum Resident

I think you're talking about lossless audio compression - compressing a WAV file without losing any data.

There are some great lossless audio programs out there:
    FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, etc. (Personally, I use FLAC.)
    All of them can be burned to CD or DVD, but you would need corresponding software to play them, and I doubt they could be played in any car audio system.

Here's a link to the "Lossless Comparison" page at Wiki.

And if you really want the lowdown on lossless and lossy compression, check out the forums at HydrogenAudio.org.

(If you weren't referring to lossless, please disregard this post...) :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.