How well do you know your favorite albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Curious how everyone relates to their favorite albums. Can you recite every single track from your favorite albums? I tested myself the other day and found out that there were maybe a handful of my favorite albums that I actually could recite the tracklisting in perfect order. My other favorite albums, I could name a majority of the tunes but in jumbled order. Wondering how it is for most people here...

Please do share which albums you know inside and out like the back of your hand. If you were called to be an expert witness on a particular album--which one(s) would it be?

His Masters Vice likes this.
  2. Honestly.....I have very near 5,000 lp's / cd's in my collection and I'd say I could mentally list the track order for 75% / 80 % of them.

3. MRamble

Impressive! Wish I had that kind of recall. It seems the opposite with me; the more music I absorb--the harder it is for the data to stick. It's as if my brain can't store any more information!

jeffd7030, Deek57 and SilkHammer like this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It's easier to recall the track listings of the classic albums--they get imprinted after many listens.

Joey Self, Zoot Marimba and MRamble like this.
  5. MRamble

Feel the same way. I can't imagine how many Beatles albums people have etched into their brains.

6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Almost all of my favorites I know the order of. Outside by Bowie is one that I can never remember. Lots of tracks on that one.

His Masters Vice and MRamble like this.
  7. Another thing. When I began my collection (Christmas Day 1975) with Queen's "A Night At The Opera" I assigned a number to every album (and later cd) that I got. I can generally recall the number of each of the records in my collection without looking. I am sometimes off by a few but not often. Sadly, this ability has not made me rich......which would enable me to buy even MORE new music. ;)

jeffd7030 and MRamble like this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

When I was a kid, no problem. My mom had over a hundred Elvis albums and I knew all of them inside and out, forward and back. Now, I can't even tell you what I had for lunch yesterday.

jeffd7030, Joey Self and MRamble like this.
  9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not only can I recite all the songs in perfect order, but in many cases, I can recite the songs' composers and their timings. How obsessive is that?

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Back at school I often wrote the full tracklist of Pink Floyd's The Wall into my homework notebook, just because I was bored...^^
    Now, and generally, I have so many favorite albums but I can quote most of the tracklists without re-checking.

11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I like most, can recall every song in order from my favorite albums. I can also do this with all my favorite TV shows as well.

MRamble likes this.
  12. HippieDrill

HippieDrill Forum Resident

Wow, that's almost Rain Main level stuff right there.

musictoad and MRamble like this.
  13. HippieDrill

HippieDrill Forum Resident

I could probably only do that with maybe my top 20 albums or so and even then i'd probably get a few wrong. I probably couldn't tell you half the lyrics to the songs on my favorite albums either even though i know the music inside and out.

MRamble likes this.
  14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I probably know the opening and closing songs on each side of every album and know what's coming next as I listen but to list them in order might be a little much.

MRamble likes this.
  15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Thanks to bands like Pink Floyd, and others, that would only put 5 songs on a album, one doesn't have to have an eidetic memory to memorize them.

MRamble, andrewskyDE and Chrome_Head like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Some Tangerine Dream albums are even easier.

MRamble and daca like this.
  17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I can 'air guitar' Paranoid note for note, and do a fair Ozzy impression.

Umm...not just the song, but the whole album.

18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I know every note of many of my favorites. I don't always know the song titles. Mostly these days I'm just happy when I can find my car in the parking lot.

davidb1, Joey Self and MRamble like this.
  19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Tracklisting is for rookies. I'd say most of know the lyrics, the breathing, even a chair squeak. After all, you are on the Hoffman Boards.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I'm with ya...but my collection is half of yours.

You shall remain twice as impressive!

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And of course all the background studio direction. Here Today, at the Hoffman forum...;)

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What's more important to me is being able to sing along with everything on my favorite albums. I don't mean sing along with the lyrics necessarily, but with the instrumental parts, the vocal melody, etc.

MRamble, andrewskyDE and HippieDrill like this.
  23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I can remember my first albums note for note. The more albums I collected the harder it became to memorize them.

Joey Self and MRamble like this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I thought "recite" referred to the lyrics of all the songs ...

I can usually name all the songs in order, but sometimes I have to think for a bit. Age ...

MRamble likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can recite all the songs in perfect order!

MRamble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.