HP Printer Maintenance Tip Pop-Ups - how do I stop them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiodrome, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

In the last couple of days, I've been getting these HP Printer Maintenance Tips and they keep popping up all day long. It would be one thing if it was telling me that something was wrong or if I was out of ink, but it's only a reminder to use a soft cloth to remove any excess ink that might accumulate on parts of your printer. How do I get them to stop - very annoying!

2. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

On that HP notification page which keeps appearing. Is there a preferences text which you can click, the text underlined and blue? You can Disable alerts, after you click on preferences.

3. audiodrome

I couldn't find anything. I'll have to go to their website.

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

If you're computer savy it is possible to only load the printer driver to avoid the
    pop-ups.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

If its Windows OS then click the Run command from the Start menu then type -

msconfig

and select the start up tab.

Then untick the boxes with HP in them (chances are it will say update/reminder/hp helper or somesuch) Make sure its only HP stuff you untick at this stage.

Apply/Reboot the PC. A window will pop up saying youve used the config utility. Just tick the box to make it go away.

This will stop the HP crap loading up at the start.

Also check the Start folder in your programs list.

Final remedy is to check the services list. Chances are it could well be lurking there and can be disabled.

See how you get on with the others first.

6. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

You can also try clicking on the START button < Control Panel < Printers < Select active printer < right-click and choose properties. Then you can see if there are preferences or notifications which can be modified.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

At work we only install the driver and don't use the installation program.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I fix PCs for folks and HP printers are some of the worst. For some reason HP feels that the default install should consist of at least 9 different apps, 7 of which all need access to the internet to monitor stuff etc.

Its a printer for gods sake all we need is the 200kb driver file to make the PC print through it. We managed with that back in the mid/late 90's quite easily thank you.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I gave up on my HP printer some time back because of this, are they all like this still? :sigh:

10. audiodrome

I don't know why I keep buying HP printers. The first one I bought was excellent but I can't remember the model number. The second one I bought (Deskjet 960c) had trouble with black ink for some reason. It never dried properly and it had a dull matte finish. My current HP printer (Deskjet 6940) has a bunch of different quirks. The quality of the printing is excellent - the colors are vibrant and sharp with incredible detail but there is a very annoying incompatability issue with my Neato CD insert software. Whenever I print a tray or booklet with a solid color, I get bars with different shades of color, therefore wasting a sheet of Neato paper (which is not cheap). The workaround I discovered is to print the inserts and trays using Photoshop instead of Mediaface but it takes a lot of trial and error to line it up properly. I think my next printer will be an Epson!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.