Huey Lewis & The News Worthiness For Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

They were very popular in the 80's but it's not just about inducting who was very popular. We don't need a hall of fame to tell us who was popular.

This is the problem with having a hall of fame in an artistic field though. And the R&RHoF has hardly done an adequate job of defining itself through its induction process.

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Ha! Saw what you did there. Good picture also.

the pope ondine likes this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

It's hard for an act to perpetuate rock 'n roll without being "very" popular, given that rock 'n roll competes with rap, country, pop, and other genres within the music marketplace. Without being "very" popular, an act doesn't perpetuate rock 'n roll like acts that are "very" popular.

4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

And the trolling continues. Who wants this one?

Ed

5. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Pass. I do grudgingly admire your tenacity though @S. P. Honeybunch :agree:

Nostaljack likes this.
  6. S. P. Honeybunch

It's not so much tenacity as it is a natural outpouring of gratitude for what Huey Lewis and the News have blessed us with in terms of the rock and the roll.

ianuaditis and DesertHermit like this.
  7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Tack the boldface onto the end of this thread's title and you've got something.

D.D.

Nostaljack likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Hall and Oates i don't get at all. Fine hitmakers. Great hair. But, never in my player. i didn't know they were in. Same as the others i listed.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

I don't think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is worthy of Huey Lewis & The News. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

So when will Pete Rose get in the Hall of Fame?

11. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Very similar.

All around good prom king kind of guy forms a band and writes radio friendly hummable tunes.

I would say that Huey appealed more to the baby boomer generation and Bon Jovi appealed more to the post boomer generation.

They had similar levels of hit records but Huey was a bit more bunched and Jovi was spread out.

I'd say because Bon Jovi appealed to the pre-teen/teen girls as he was coming up, he audience largely still attends concerts and sells out arenas for the past 30 years. He is a much bigger touring act.

Huey and the News has a few prime years of touring arenas in the 80s. The hits dried up and the large Boomer audience weren't enough to keep him in the arena echelon.

By the mid-90s Huey was now playing the theater circut (1000-3000) seats. Certainly enough to keep going as a very good living, but hardly Hall of Fame.

Now the weird thing...a very similar act, Hall and Oates, sank to the theater circut in the 90s. I saw them at a great show at the house of blues (maybe 1200 people) in the late 90s. Somehow, probably due to a hit cable show, they made the rock n roll Hall of Fame AND can pair with a silmilar level act to play arenas again!

Fullbug likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So you're saying H&O don't belong in the Rock Hall because you never play them? :confused:

Nostaljack likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

OP will need one of these to pile this stuff much higher :

[​IMG]

D.D.

DesertHermit and Nostaljack like this.
  14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Well, artists can also become more noteworthy outside of their time.

15. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I think Huey Lewis still has a chance in the RRHOF, it may just take another 10-20 years.

16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I think they have more than a right than some of the artists already there.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

18. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

15 pages in and the thread remains near the top tells me they are worthy of being in the RRHOF.

19. Farmer Mike

John Hiatt is in that ballpark.

20. S. P. Honeybunch

True, but the Hall has inducted dozens and dozens of acts. The acts perpetuated rock 'n roll by doing the grunt work and helping the genre to get off of the ground over 60 years ago or popularized it by themselves being massively popular.

Since Elvis popularized rock 'n roll, the record companies and mass media have given ample coverage and opportunities to talented artists who wants to rock 'n roll for a living. The cream rises to the top and makes themselves prominent in their own day. Huey Lewis and the News are the kind of rare talent that made a name for themselves in their own day while popularizing rock 'n roll and perpetuating the genre.

21. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

John Hiatt is 100 times better than Huey. Look at all the covers of Hiatt's songs

22. Diamond Dog

He's certainly a better songwriter than Huey Lewis and more influential as a result. In terms of respect, Hiatt makes Huey look like Rodney Dangerfield.

D.D.

23. S. P. Honeybunch

Kudos to Hiatt for being a prolific rock 'n roll songwriter. That's something that the following inductees can't claim: Madonna, Elvis Presley, the Coasters, The Supremes, The Temptations, Four Tops, The Platters, LaVern Baker, The Staple Singers, Percy Sledge, Grandmaster Flash, The Ronettes, Run DMC, Jimmy Cliff, Darlene Love, and N.W.A. Hiatt's songwriting talent is a moot point, however. The Hall inducts performers for being performers rather than for being rock 'n roll writers.

24. Farmer Mike

I was referring to the similarity of their vocal tone and range. I am well aware Huey hasn't wrote anything close to the quality of Hiatt's songs.

25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You obviously haven't named a single rock n roll artist here so how could any of them write rock n roll songs? You know that, though, and this is likely more trolling.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.