Huey Lewis & The News Worthiness For Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He didn't and even Huey would cop to that.

Ed

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

I consider many to most of the early Motown records rock 'n roll records. I am glad that Motown artists are in the Hall. I also consider the Coasters, Elvis, The Ronettes, Darlene Love, and The Platters as artists worthy of Cleveland acclaim.

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, or like Dangerfield's "character." Dangerfield was actually massively respected by fellow comedians.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

ITT, Elvis Presley isn't a rock & roll artist. :nyah:

Standoffish likes this.
  5. Nostaljack

They're R&B/Pop records if they're anything. I love them but that's what they are. They were created during the "rock n roll" era, but they aren't rock n' roll in and of themselves. Were Huey and the boys inducted into the Hall of Fame, it would be success-based, not based on deep and meaningful writing. Heck, a few of their big hits were written by other people.

Madonna, Run DMC (save "Walk this Way"), & NWA write/wrote almost all of their own material - certainly more than Huey can claim, so you've got that completely wrong.

Ed

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Call SP on his trolling if you like, but man, he included Elvis in that list - who's more of a rock 'n' roll artist than the King???

7. Nostaljack

I actually didn’t see his name there. Elvis is meaningless to me but I didn’t realize how meaningless, I guess. Yes, he fits, though he wrote nothing.

Ed

8. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

D.D.

SG47 likes this.
  9. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I think that HLandTN music is closer to the spirit and intent of what was called Rock n' Roll than many acts that are already in. They are spiritual descendants of Buddy Holly, Elvis, and other early acts. Sure, the sound was modernized and electrified more but the heart and soul, so to speak, are there.

Purple and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Stuff and nonsense.

Once again:
    ELIGIBILITY
    Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll.

Induction Process

D.D.

Jimmy B. and jon9091 like this.
  11. S. P. Honeybunch

Which part of my post do you disagree with? Clearly Huey Lewis and the News would go in as performers, as would Hiatt if he were to enter the conversation for induction.

12. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

And Billy Joel is in???

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Huey Lewis???? No way. Overlooked artists like Johnnie Ray or Bread should be inducted into the RRHOF. Both artists had very original and unique styles.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This was my point, weeks ago. Using a lyric that says, "the heart of rock n' roll is still beating", doesn't exactly measure up.

"I can't believe there's still life in this thread; even a beat horse, rolls over dead." Now them's lyrics!

15. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Joel's "The Nylon Curtain" is so good.

16. Ernie D

Ernie D Forum Resident

They'll never even get nominated.

Their commercial prime was two albums/five years. For three years of that, they dominated the radio and MTV. But that's not gonna be enough, not even with the new, more populist nominating committee.

Nostaljack likes this.
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

Three gold albums, one 7x platinum, and one 3x platinum over the course of nine years, which is phenomenal. They scored multiple hit singles on mainstream rock, pop, and dance club charts with major staying power and length on the charts, as I listed in original post, and scored top 10/top 15 hits for that entire nine year run.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

But are they still faous? that would seem to be one requirement for a "Hall of Fame". Sure my perspective might be different from someone in the U.S., but I would say Biilly Joel is still famous, even Johnny Ray is still remembered as a significant figure, but Huey Lewis? People will remember them when you mention the name, but that's about it.

19. Squeeze - Beatles edges + (Billy Joel - melodrama) = Huey Lewis and The News

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is centered around rock 'n roll acts vital to the American scene rather than the scenes in other countries.

21. Nostaljack

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is centered around musical acts that were influential during the Rock era. Huey Lewis and the News had some big hits and did a few albums that sold really well. That’s it and that’s all.

Ed

Diamond Dog likes this.
  22. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is a joke by now...so Huey Lewis and the News would be perfect. ;)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

For the umpteenth time in one of these threads....sales isn’t a factor in their consideration for induction.

This band influenced nobody. Period.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

Future hall of famers, Huey Lewis and the News, have as many gold singles as 2008 inductee John Cougar Mellencamp. Both have two ("I Want A New Drug" and "Power of Love") and ("Hurts So Good" and "Jack and Diane").

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  25. Ernie D

Ernie D Forum Resident

Here's my offer: You PayPal me $50. When they get nominated for the Hall of Fame, I'll send you back $200.

jimhb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.