I almost bought a pair of Zu Omen speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Woo, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

What does Tekton charge to ship to Singapore?

2. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

they have indicated $410 door to door by air freight
    for a pair of Double Impacts at 106lbs each, which looks quite reasonable.

my concern is still the handling n packing if there are good for export.
    the last time i bought a pair of PMCs fm UK, they came badly damaged with lots of chips off
    and both crossovers had loosen solder joints n one of the mid driver has its membrane torn off
    these are quite obvious consequences of very weak packing material offering little or no protection for the speaker cabinets n the damaged crossovers n mid driver, probably due to the speakers being dropped along the way. it was actually a nightmare.

fortunately, a friend who builds speakers, helped me resolder the crossovers n even managed to repair the mid driver.

this experience makes me think very hard if i were to self import another pair of speakers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  3. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Tekton packages their domestic shipments extremely well. I don't know if they do anything extra for international, but I think their standard packaging would be fine.
    I think you should order the DI and quit overthinking about it. My Tekton's blow away any speaker that I have owned. Right now I own Monitor Audio Silver 8's and Kef LS50's. Recently I owned a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT8F's.

4. Autoformer

Autoformer New Member

I have had a pair in my family room since 2010. They are wonderful, engaging speakers and they get the most listening time around here, despite the fact that they are by far the least expensive speakers in the house. They are sensitive to amplification. They are great with SET amps and we used them with a variety of my homebuilt amps for several years. They're also great with rock music, but they need a little more power. They pair well with a good MOSFET amp. In particular, a pair of Red Wine Liliana mono blocks sounded quite good with them.

By far, however, the best sound we've heard with the Omens have been with my recently restored H.H. Scott 233 integrated amplifier. Seriously, NO OTHER AMP has sounded as good as that old 1964 Scott with the ZUs. The Scott produces 28WPC RMS, and it is WAY more than enough to drive the Omens beyond reasonable listening levels. With an amp like this, the Omens actually do really well with rock material. We also use a REL B3 sub with them.

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a Scott 222C which is about 22-WPC, with tubes in the EL34 family. It is the nicest sounding amplifier. I usually run it with the A7's but will have to give it a shot with the Omen Definitions.

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Still liking those Impacts? Are you running them with the Yamaha integrated?

7. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Yes I do still like them. I am still driving them with the A-S2100, and the combo sounds fantastic.

John Woo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.