I, Claudius: Big thumbs up!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I spent the last few days while sitting with this cold I picked up watching all of "I, Claudius." I highly recommend this epic BBC mini-series to all young and old. I haven't watched this series in years and I was amazed at how powerful it still is.

I recently was very disappointed with "Angels In America' (it was very difficult forcing myself to put the next DVD on). I felt the acting was very strong and certain scenes very powerful but a lot of the "fantasy" elements really got on my nerves (IMO, very self-indulgent, artsy-fartsy, over the top, etc.). It was difficult for me to put my finger on what was annoying me about 'AIA' and why I didn't praise it like a lot of other folks. Watching "I, Claudius" reminded me that a powerful story doesn't need high-productive value fluff to make it's impact ("I,C" is very low budget).

Anyway, I strongly recommend the DVD box set. The writing, acting and direction is tops. Also, you get to see Patrick Stewart with hair.... :)

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Great series.

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Was it the uncensored version? I've seen it both ways several times, those scenes with John Hurt as Caligula were pretty raw for the mid-70s.

4. Todd Fredericks

Yes, it's the uncensored version.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Man, I love this series so much. The history, the theatrics, the acting- just my kind of stuff.

The DVDs are definitely on my to-buy list. I saw them via Netflix, god bless 'em.

6. Todd Fredericks

There's also a nice old BBC documentary included on the final disc about the history & filming of Alexander Korda's failed attempt of 'I, Claudius' with Charles Laughton. Some of the surviving clips are very nice to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.