I got screwed on my $15,000 home theater purchase

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

If this happened in South Carolina, your tires would be slashed, all of your car windows broken, and "Bubba" and "Donnie" would do unimaginable damage to all of your personal effects.

Seriously, good luck to you and your efforts, and keep us posted!

Paul

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

And don't forget their expertise with dental work!! :D

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Any company that tacks on 3% for using a credit card on a $15,000.00 purchase doesn't deserve my patronage. The cash demand should have been a red flag right there. Everyone reading this thread should make a note.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

They should have given you a 10% discount for cash!!!!!!!!BOO HISS!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The most cost-effective way to have a home theater is to get digital cable for the TV, a VCR, a DVD player and a minisystem with surround speakers and an AUX input. If you have a turntable, hook up a DJ mixer from the outputs in the back of the mixer to the AUX input of the minisystem, and hook up your TV, VCR, digital cable, DVD player this way, hook up the main coaxial cable originating from outside your home to the Cable In of the digital cable box, another coaxial cable from the digital cable box's to TV/VCR output into the VCR's From Antenna input, and the have another coaxial cable from the Out to TV output of your VCR to the TV. The coaxial cables are set up from the outputs of the DVD player to the video inputs of the VCR (my TV does not have any Video inputs), and then using piggyback stereo cables, having them out of the VCR to the outputs of the digital cable box, and another coaxial cable piggybacked from the digital cable box to the mixer. For clarity, I use a piggyback cable in the outputs of the VCR to plug the Audio L/R RCA cables, and then have the end I didn't use plugged in to another channel of the mixer. Quite the process, lots of cables, coaxial cable and standard RCA stereo cables, but it works.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The coaxial is for the digital cable, TV and VCR hookups with the rest requiring standard RCA stereo cables.

7. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Hmmm. So you say you got pretty much everything you ordered, except the speakers were not the right ones? Are the speakers you got less valuable than the speakers you ordered?

Of course you should try to get your merchandize, but apart from that, it doesn't sound as if you had lost all your money, or at least a significant part of it, right?

I guess the defective processor can be repaired and has a warranty from the factory?

8. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

The speakers that I received are worth about $2,000 less retail than the speakers that I ordered. Last week I received a replacement for the defective Aragon processor. When I hooked it up I was amazed at how much better it sounds than the B&K Reference 50.

If I ignore the fact that I have the wrong speakers, I am very happy with my new setup. The Aragon processor really makes the NHT speakers sound good.

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Woe, that really sucks. I hope somehow something works out for you man.

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Johnny,

Petzi paid more attention than I did. :sigh: The thread title lead me to believe that you took a much bigger loss than you actually have. Given that your maximum retail loss appears to be less than $2,000, why has the small claims court limit of $5,000 ever been an issue? Is your true economic loss any more than $2,000? :confused:

-Jeffrey

11. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, you need to keep in ming that the NHT speakers that I received were dealer demo speakers. These speakers have not been made in a number of years. As used speakers they are worth about $2,500. The energy speakers are worth $5,500. I also have not received $2,000 in cables, phone line stage, remote control system and installation. In addition, I have not received the screen. So I am out over well over $5,000.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the clarification. :) I was confused because you did not respond to this question "Hmmm. So you say you got pretty much everything you ordered, except the speakers were not the right ones?".

-Jeffrey

13. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Hmmm, OK, of course I cannot give you any legal advice, because I don't know what the proper prodedure would be in your country. I would probably go to the police immediately and report the fraud.

Half a year ago, my car was robbed while me and my fiancee were on our way to holiday vacation. I had some expensive photo equipment with me, and the cost of re-purchasing everything that was stolen is in the order of $20,000. We did not have one piece of clothing after that, except what we wore on our bodies. Everything was stolen. The insurance company has notified me that they are unwilling to pay. (On a side note, I will sue the insurance, and my lawyer says it looks good, we'll see... But they'd only have to pay for about half of the damage...) I am particularly sorry for some personal items that cannot be replaced.

Just so you know bad things happen to other people, too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.