I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Read the forum rules. :rolleyes:

:D

2. KeithH

That will happen when the hipsters tire of records and get into CDs.

;)

3. KeithH

The only thing missing is complaints of the smells. Some of you must have encountered the unshowered.

4. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I only ever buy music to play and enjoy.

5. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

What happened to the RSD Part 2 thread with 32 pages? It's gone...

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Just FYI, the RSD organizers asked stores not to have midnight openings for this very reason. Your local shop ignored them and bears much of the blame.

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Gorts are cleaning it.

8. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

For what? I went this morning at 8:00 and the first few people in also came out with armfuls of LPs. Perhaps 20-30...

9. wayved

wayved Guest

I went. And the crowd was ok. Nothing unmanageable. I saw all sorts. I saw the hardcore music freaks and flippers. I pretty much got what I went in for if they had a copy of it (Zaireeka (sp)) just too expensive cos i saw too much other stuff I wanted. Not a bad day out. No Superchunk or Pollard box set.....I did not encounter the unshowered.

10. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

There is already a thread where people have voiced their opinions both for and against: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/record-store-day-is-it-self-defeating.315518/

11. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I was at a customer site yesterday and they offered to by me lunch from a place right by the record store I was going to today. When I mentioned this the woman said, 'They still make records?"

Well, now she knows!

12. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Only 2 things I REALLY wanted were the Big Star and Sigur Ros LPs. It's my understanding that most stores only got 1 or 2 ea of these, if that. The Big Star will be pressed again soon, which I'm ok with. As popular as Sigur Ros is getting, I'd imagine their discography to be released with the next year. I did walk away with the Willie Nelson Crazy Demos and Fun by Daniel Johnston, both of which sound absolutely fantastic.

13. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Really?! You really believe that RSD is mostly bout turning a quick profit?!

14. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Did it get that dirty? I just want back into the I love RSD thread!

15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

One of the main issues with RSD releases are that it caters to a tiny segment of the population - the people who still have vinyl. Most people do CDs, so there's absolutely no way someone who is a casual fan (the people who RSD is supposed to bring in) is going to hear about RSD, go in, buy vinyl, then buy a record player to play the vinyl.

To really increase sales and/or public recognition, they need to release way more CDs than they have been. Otherwise, they're not going to get results.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Good question.. I've been looking for it myself. Wonder what happened that made it require "cleaning."

17. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Constantly releasing such tiny numbers of the Sigur Ros stuff mystifies me. It's either the band or the label doing it though, I'm sure RSD would love to have a larger run.

And damn it I forgot to even look for Fun.

18. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If we discuss that guess what will happen to this thread.

19. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

That is either 1) the store's fault for not ordering enough stock or the right stock items you are looking for, 2) you arrived late and items were sold out and/or 3) items were ordered but never arrived in time.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Someone with a cell phone camera went a little nuts.

21. Brian Gardiner

Brian Gardiner Active Member

A slight aside. I had a friend drove from Southern Ontario to Tenessee to see Lynyrd Skynyrd when they first reformed. After the show he met a couple of guys associated with the band (not members, but long time roadies or some-such), and told them he had driven down from Ontario to see the band. "****," was the response. "I wouldn't drive 50 miles to see Jesus Christ himself." That's how I feel reading all this talk of lines for record store day: Not if they were giving away Jesus Christ Superstar as sung by Jesus.

That said, I did what I do every year. Went to my local an hour or two after they opened and they still had a good selection. See Emily Play was sold out (he said they had about 20), and the Cream live hadn't arrived yet - this seems to happen every year, a couple of things show up days later. He said he expected more Pink Floyd and the Cream later in the week. Otherwise, I got the Ringo box set, the McCartney EP and the 2 Rolling Stones 7 inch. They were doing good sales and all seemed good.

It's a nice excuse to get out to the store, but I wouldn't make a big thing of it. Maybe you get a record or two (I usually wind up with something), maybe you don't, but it's an alright day IMO.

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Well I like it.

Blue Collar Man and levi like this.
  23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'll own it. Yeah, it got pretty nasty between myself, ridernyc, and some others. Basically, I had a really bad idea with really bad execution (regarding pics of items my store had that some other forum members may have wanted me to pick up for them), and ridernyc and some others exasperated the issue, then I got really snippy back and p*ssed off, then it kinda blew up from there with insults back and forth, then I tried cleaning up the thread (ie, removing the pictures), then I hit the 15 minute time limit (they should really increase that thing), then I couldn't remove anymore, then I couldn't find any of the gorts that were online (they weren't listed, at least), then it got shut down, and I PM'd a gort to remove the pictures and the negative comments between myself, ridernyc, and the others.

You know, a typical day around the forum. ;):p

24. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Well, I sure hope they make it squeaky clean and it returns soon! There was a lot of cool stories and info and such in that thread. :)

nbakid2000 likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, it was my thread. WTF happened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.