I just screwed up my turntable, dammit!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

:( :realmad:

Why the F**K did I have to fool around with that damn heavy platter mat?!?!?

My turntable runs slow now, changed the belt, still running slow, oiled the bearing (clumsily, I must admit), still runs slow, motor now gets hot and I want to shoot myself!!

F**K F**K F**K dammit!!

:mad: Why couldn't I just leave alone?!? It was working fine and I have a cartridge and LPs on the way.. sh**!! Man..

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Damian, What did you do, details please.

3. Damián

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Damian, read your other posts. What have you done since then, did you try to knock out the shaft and bearing (I do NOT recommend that) Are you sure the TT did not run a little slow before all of this, did you check it with a strobe before all of this. Since the table has no speed adjust it could just be a little slow. Also try putting some talc powder on your thumb and finger and let the belt run through your fingers and pick up some talc. That may improve the grip of the belt.

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

How much slow are you talking about?

COuld you possibly have put the belt over the wrong diameter section of the pulley, or on the wrong part of the platter?

Is there a switch for setting the line voltage or frequency of the country you are in that might have been bumped?

6. Damián

Don't know exactly 'how much slow' .. cents I guess, a quarter tone at most I'd say. Enough for everything to drag and sound flat.

I haven't played it today yet (it's morning as I type), but yesterday just to see what happened I set the platter spinning for some 10-20 minutes and then put on a record and thought it sounded fine.. or at least better.

I played a couple more LPs and my final impression is that it did seem at least better. I hope it stays this way.

Thanks, best regards

Damián

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.