I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray? (Speculation)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I remember that ILL was on at noon, and I'd watch that before I went to work each evening. For the life of me, I can't remember if I taped the 80s Lucy show or caught it on the few evenings I was at home. I'm pretty sure I caught a few episodes, though I can't remember much except for Gale Gordon and Lucy in a hardware store.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been 25 years, and I'm still trying to get the Eydie Gorme theme song out of my head...

OldSoul likes this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I love that theme. Have since I first heard it.

Benno123 likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

6. DreadPikathulhu

I would expect for there to be a complete series Blu-ray box eventually. I picked up both the complete Twilight Zone and complete Dick Van Dyke for about $50 last month, so ILL will show up eventually.

I paid pretty close to full price for the heart-shaped box when it came out, and I've seen it heavily discounted since then. It pays to wait for these things.

7. OldSoul

liyc.jpg

Tex_Writer and MRamble like this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

I started buying ILL in 2001, when season 1 was released as single disc releases containing 2-4 episodes and bought about 1/2 of them. I eventually sold those when they released a box set of all of season 1. I sold that when they released the entire series, which they've since heavily discounted.

I've been burned enough times to avoid jumping on any TV DVD/Blu-ray set when it is first announced.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Myke

Exactly. I bought Dick Van Dyke on a lightning deal, watched it once, then sold it here for not much less than I paid. Both the buyer and I did very well, for very little investment.

Only you control how your cash is spent.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Jenny Lewis kid is still very active with a high profile in the music industry on solo albums/Rilo Kiley/Postal Service.

11. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

She's not a kid anymore, let me tell you that! :love:

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

13. OldSoul

Bad, bad, bad, bad cover art. I actually liked the '50s style cartoon covers from last year. Why didn't they keep those? Anyway, again, bad, bad, bad, bad, cover art.

Hopefully $130 isn't the right SRP. I had assumed CBS made that decision, but, hopefully, amazon is just assuming things.

guy incognito and MRamble like this.
  14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I've seen that image a million times but I can't recall Lucy ever looking that unusual like on that cover. Is it the colorization? Something's off with her eyes.

OldSoul likes this.
  15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

It is Star Trek all over again. They will be on sale in a couple of years.

16. DreadPikathulhu

$129.99?

Forget it! A gallon of Vita-meata-vegamin isn't going to convince me otherwise.

MRamble likes this.
  17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

...but it's so tasty too!

OldSoul likes this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!

MRamble likes this.
  19. Myke

From Blu-ray.com : http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12897

CBS and Paramount Home Entertainment have officially announced the Blu-ray release of I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1, which features the first 35 episodes of the beloved classic television show starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and William Frawley and Vivian Vance as Fred and Ethel Mertz. The 6-disc set arrives on Blu-ray on April 8, 2014.

Studio Synopsis: You've loved and laughed at Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel for years, but you've never seen I Love Lucy like this on glorious high-definition. Coming to Blu-ray in a highly collectible set with special gloss packaging that includes every episode from the first season, each one beautifully restored in high definition, in original night-of-broadcast form with original sponsor openings and closings. The set also includes a number of special features, many never before released on DVD. Among those extras:
    • The series' original pilot restored from 35mm film
    • Color home movies from the set of the show
    • Lucy and Desi's makeup/wardrobe test for the series
    • And much more...

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That picture was no doubt after the 5th run through of the vitameatavegamin commercial. That's what's wrong with her eyes!

OldSoul and MRamble like this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

It was Desi who ran Desilu. Yes, he consulted with Lucy on big decisions, but Desi was the prime business guy. His contract with CBS (not Lucys) for "I Love Lucy" stated he was Executive Producer with complete creative control over all aspects of the show. He was smart, he hired guys with good experience in TV and film to advise him, and I'd bet that the idea of shooting the ILL show on film with 3 cameras came from one of his people who had been involved with films. He also went to bat for William Frawley, whom the network did NOT want as Fred Mertz. They wanted (you guessed it) Gale Gordon. Desi met with Frawley and then chose him because he had a gut feeling that he'd be perfect as Fred Mertz, and he was. Funny thing....Frawley and Vivian Vance did not like each other, and Desi was constantly "keeping the peace" between them, giving one or the other more lines, or a bonus, etc. But on screen you would never know it, they were both great in their roles.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The prices now are too steep. I'll wait until they come down. Until then, I'll "struggle" watching the DVD's:D

23. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

For us "Lucy" fans here on the forum, the November 1, 1959 special The Milton Berle Special co-starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo (and directed by Desi Arnaz) has been released on DVD. I believe that with this release, all starring and guest appearances of Lucille Ball as the Lucy Ricardo characters has been released on DVD except for the 1959 episode of The Ann Sothern Show titled "The Lucy Story." (The guest appearance on The Danny Thomas Show was released on DVD several years ago in the season 6 release of that series.)

More information here: http://www.amazon.com/Lucy-Desi-Milton-Berle-Special/dp/B00GV8B1BM/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1391191383&sr=1-1&keywords=Milton Berle

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

http://exclaim.ca/Features/Questionnaire/jenny_lewis/Page/2
    Jenny Lewis brought up the old Lucille Ball show in a interview this month:

Question: What advice should you have taken, but did not?

Jenny Lewis: When I was a kid I played Lucille Ball's granddaughter on a TV show called Life With Lucy. And she was very tough, a very tough cookie. And she was very firm with me being prepared with my work. I kind of remember shrugging it off at first. But when you're getting advice from Lucille Ball you should probably take it. And I really look back on that moment sometimes and think, "Wow, that was a really valuable nugget of advice."

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The price on the Blu-Ray has come down quite a bit but I would just wait out a Complete Series set if it ever comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.