I love my Tivoli/Henry Kloss Model One radio.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by felix.scerri, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve got a KLH twenty one and I get compliments on the sound all the time. I guess if the formula works, stick to it.

2. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I have one, too. I think I got it when they first came out back in 2000. It has a piano finish that I paid extra for. Back then, they were $125 for the piano finish while the regular models were only $99, which I though was reasonable. They were sold everywhere. A friend of mine worked for a now closed audio chain retailer called Tweeter and he said they couldn't keep stock--like they sold hundreds of them a day.

It's a good radio and it definitely sounds good, but it is built to a price point. I have mine hooked up to my amp to use as a tuner and sort of a preamp as my cassette player (yes, still have one of those), CD player and MP3 player are all fed to it before the line out and even the clearest stations have a little bit of fuzz and crackle in the background which you might not notice if you only listened to it through the onboard speaker, and it's definitely drifty. I've got inexpensive Japanese all-in-one cassette receivers from the 1980s that find and lock into stations better and have far clearer reception. But the Model One has STYLE.

It is a stereo receiver even though the table unit only has one speaker. If you listen to it through headphones or have it hooked up to a stereo amp, you'll hear stereo playback.

33na3rd likes this.
  3. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

4. needlestein

I miss it, too. I got my girlfriend at the time this beautiful Klipsch iFi system at the, I think it was Holyoke, MA location. That thing sounded so good. It went on sale at Tweeter the very next week and so I went back and they refunded me $100. I wondered to myself, "How do they stay in business?"

Two months later, they were gone. I guess they didn't.

I don't often want that girlfriend back, but I'd love to have that iFi back.

5. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I now have two Echo Dots that I use with my Pals. One in the home office and the other in the bath. They are nice because they can play streaming music sources ( “Play The Jonathan channel”) or I can just tell them to connect to iPhone (via Bluetooth). I like the combo.

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Does tbe Tivoli have rca output jacks ?

7. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Have a Model 2 in my office and also bedroom and a PAL in my kitchen that goes camping with us.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

wonder what ever happened to Felix..... He spent a lot of time here

9. Felix has Asperger syndrome. Google it. He got upset over certain comments made here and on Audiokarma. So he left . Unless he's here under another name

c-eling likes this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I bought a stereo unit with CD on clearance at Target and augmented it with the subwoofer. All the cord spaghetti kinda defeated the point of a tabletop unit, but it did sound nice -- while it worked. Either the stereo speaker or the subwoofer died while the other began broadcasting its own radio reception. The CD player failed not long after and eventually the main unit died. I don't have a single piece left!

11. DarreLP

DarreLP Forum Resident

Well, I made *some* headway in fixing mine. Thanks to this blog post here: LA3ZA Radio & Electronics: Scratchy Tivoli Audio Model One (one of the few I could find on the internet that explains how this tuner works).

I managed to get the heat shields off so I could spray a bit of deoxit into the tuning fins. That completely fixed the 'staticky' tuning issue.

However, I still can't get the stations properly aligned. Using the 'O' (oscillator) trim screw, I can get the lower stations below 95 or so to line up perfectly, but 107.9 ends up around 106. So somthing is still way off. And I'm somewhat stuck as I've reached by knowledge limit in terms of how this all is supposed to work.

12. Bubba Boy Sam

Bubba Boy Sam Forum Resident

Been without an FM tuner for quite a while, but now that I'm moving back to Washington, DC, I was wondering what to do. I'll start by using my Tivoli Model One. It seems like a good solution - at least for the near term. Primary stations will be WPFW, WETA, WAMU.

13. DarreLP

DarreLP Forum Resident

Well, for future reference if anyone stumbles upon this...I guess this is typical of these radios. I've been asking around and have had mentioned to me by several people that these Tivolis, as great as they are, tend to have this issue where you simply can't get the stations to align with the dial ticks accurately. So, I'm going to live with it. Still tunes in stations and sounds great...I just have to do a bit of guessing as to where the station is on the dial. I'm going to have to figure out a clever way to mark the stations along the dial somehow without it looking out of place.

14. needlestein

Make a removable corrected dial out of a circle of paper or cardboard with a round cut out for the tuning knob? Place it on the dial when tuning and take it off again once you've tuned?

15. DarreLP

DarreLP Forum Resident

Ha! That could...work! Kind of like an alignment protractor for a turntable. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.