I love The Platters...what say ye?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Just to clarify, is the set you"re referring to the Bear family box set or the Magic Touch Anthology?

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

As pictured, the Polygram set as it was released 27 years ago. That set is still available at Amazon, but I did not check price or ownership of the CD material today.

My guess is that the difference between this set and the Bear box set would be in the number of non-hit songs included. There are fourteen non-hits on the Polygram set.

Correction to my original post... 34 - 8 does not equal 36... not a typo but a brain fart.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Touch-...1524346059&sr=1-1&keywords=platters+anthology

sjaca likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

some great great songs

4. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I did and found nothing.
    To make things worse, there is another Tony Williams who plays the drums and seems to be more popular than the Platters' tenor.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

There are NO original Platter members touring as a member of "The Platters", although there are some members who were around during the hit years of the 50s and 60s who tour with names that include "Platters" in the title.

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I saw a version of the Platters in a bar on upper Wisconsin Ave in DC about 1968, but seeing as that was 50 years ago it's impossible for me to remember how many of the four MEN (no woman in this group) were from the original Platters.

7. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Yrs, Miles Davis’ fantastic drummer from the 60s!

javilu77 likes this.
  8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Found Steve's post (from 2002) regarding the Platters on CD. Platters question

Are there still no good sounding re-issues that 1) come from the original master tapes (without added echo) and 2) use the hit mono mixes?

9. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Whole-heartedly AGREE

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Herb Reed's The Platters exists and tours. Herb lived in Lexington, Massachusetts for a long time, and based the group in the Boston area. He passed away a few years ago. A friend of mine, Wayne Miller, has been with the group for a long time. He recently had to undergo treatment for cancer. He's on the mend, though.

I saw them last year when they played a benefit in my hometown of Salem, MA.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

An all time great act if you ask me, fantastic stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.