I need an education on TV set up discs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aquateen, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure you guys are familiar with tv set up discs that are supposed to properly set up colors, sharpness, contrast and so on. How well do these work? Do they make a major difference on large hd tvs? On 32 inch tube tvs? My own tv is a 32" Samsung that isn't exceptional but it's a pretty decent tv. Would I see any visual improvement with using one of these discs? Anyone have a disc they would recommend?

2. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Video Essentials is the one I use.

Some THX-certified DVD movies have similar set-up sections, but I don't think they're packaged with a "blue filter" for accurate color set-up like VE is.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, I think it's a worth while investment for a 32" set.

Look for a newer disc called "Digital Video Essentials". It has tons of stuff, but should walk you through basic calibrations.

You'll likely see the following benefits:

Lower overall contrast leads to more accurate white balance
    Lower sharpness setting leads to less "ringing" and other introduced artifacts.
    More accurate Brightness setting will give you true blacks and a more dynamic picture.
    (likely) Lower color settings make skin tones look more natural and provide proper color balance.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I use Video Essentials, but it has since been replaced by a better and, IIRC, less expensive title called "Digital Video Essentials" from the same people. It will help even if you have a 13" TV. As a matter of fact, lowering the contrast or picture setting to a reasonable level, as this disc will help to do, will extend the life of most people's TVs.

Regards,

5. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I use DVE also, and I've helped a few family members calibrate their TVs using it. There hasn't been a single one that didn't have the brightness and contrast WAY off.

Don't forget to write down the initial settings before you start so you can go back and see what a DRASTIC difference the disc can make...

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've never used the Avia disc, but from talking with industry professionals that seems to be the one recommended for more casual users. One guy called DVE "labarynthic," and having used it I can concur.

John K.

7. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

DVE is very straightforward if you watch it from start to finish, which I would guess that many people would do on the first use.

Once you know what's on it, it's not TOO hard to find what you're looking for again later...

8. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where can one get a copy of DVE?

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The first "Video Essentials" DVD was comprehensive, but the menu structure was a labyrith. "Avia" is easier to find your way around. I haven't seen the new "Video Essentials" DVD, but I do plan to buy the PAL version for use here in New Zealand.

For your TV, the first thing you should do is tweak the sharpness setting. Turn it down. Now turn it done some more. Is it at zero yet? Good, that's the optimum setting for most TVs, in my experience. Your TV may at first look a little funny, but after a couple of hours you'll realise that it looks more natural, and that adding sharpness simply over-accentuates edges and adds distortion.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deep Discount DVD has it for what appears to be the lowest current online price of $16.48

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.