I need good LP Outer sleeves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by akb88, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Louis, so you tried the Elusive Disc japanese 12's ? I was thinking in try becuase like I said its seems to be the "originals" japaneses, the Music Direct are clones and dont fit at all... the glue dont match, so bad...

like Vinyl Fan 1973 says I like too the flap, I dont like keep the record open for get dust etc.. the big problem with the flapped glue in general, is that some glue ones like BLACKES over the time stick too! in the flap and is so hard and anonnying open and close and can cause damage becuase part of the glue start hold in the flap, so like I say the music direct's you can open and close the times that you want and the glue dont keep! thats for the material of the sleeve that are diffent to the blackes...

of course one perfect solution it was flapped sleeves without GLUE but how? a ziplock bag haha or the Simply Vinyl expensive ones... but that have pvc so are bad.

so Elusives are not good? very cloudy? what about that thing of the glue holds in the flap?

thanks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I am going through my entire collection at the moment on another matter (replacing all these poly lined inners that have left filmy streaks and marks on some of my most prized vinyl), and I can say with complete certainty that these 12" Japanese outers from Elusive Disc are clouding up over time. I am fanatical about climate and light control so I know it is not an environmental issue; it is some chemical change in the very material used to produce the outer. However, to answer your question about the glue: I haven't had any major problems with the flap adhesive. Perhaps a few out of hundreds (in the past five or six years) have been defective in that regard.

In conclusion: Japanese 12" outers from Elusive Disc — avoid. (And while we're at it: poly lined 12" inners from Bags Unlimited — avoid.)

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Have you tried the Blake sleeves from Clear Bags?

4. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Which ones fit over the thick Music Matter Jazz covers? Those are so thick! haha

5. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Not yet. I'll see if they will send me a sample.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great, when you do receive the sample. I'd be interested in your thoughts....thanks.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thank I avoid the elusive disc!

about Blakes, Im sure when you see it maybe you say "wow great! so shiny, so pretty" but again believe if you hate marks you get a lot marks after time, I dont push my records (you know me Louis, Im a mint! bitch! lol so my care is extreme) and even keep that separate I see an obvious ringwear in the inner, and like I explain previous blakes are a very crakeable material, the material of blake's is Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP); and more than that the big problem to me is that heavy glue... in the past I love them but after time results I dont recomment but tried, I want know your point of view ;)

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

In my experience all outer sleeves get somewhat cloudy or marked up. Even the well regarded Ultimate Sleeve City 5.0 sleeves I have have some sort of marks on them. That really doesn't bother me. I have the Clear Bags on all my LP's and I've never had an issue with a seam split, material that gets cracked, or creased, and the strip on the back still works. My only issue is that they don't fit the double LP's too good as they are a snug fit, which I really like. So I ordered the new double LP version and hopefully that will work well. I don't see any issue with the super clear BOPP material, if you don't abuse the sleeves then they should work for a lifetime.

9. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

:laugh: Thanks, Esteban. I'll take your word for it.

stenway likes this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I try later to take pictures for show my point of view, is nice to compare see that you use and you dont see the issues that I found, I show you later :)

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

That would be great, I'd love to see as well. Who knows I may be in for the same thing down the line. If so I'd like to avoid them and get something even better. Thanks.

stenway likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

1970 likes this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Couldn't tell you, since I've never ordered accessories from ED. But I've had stuff from Soundsource for over 10 years, and there is no fading.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

I was just looking at this site last night, and I don't know, was nervous to take a chance. With your good word I shall try them next time I need sleeves to compare with clear bags. Thanks for the tip.

17. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

So I've been using the Bags Unlimited 5.0 Mylar outer sleeves recently. I got several bags of them. They have this kind of cloudy film in them that I have been wiping away with cloth, after which they are pretty clear (but not nearly as clear as the 2.5 bags). Should I be worried about this stuff getting on my albums? So far I haven't noticed anything bad with the albums, and the thickness of the material I think really protects against ringwear, etc. Anybody else noticed something like this on these bags?

18. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

So far the only ones I have tried and am currently using is the Bags Unl. 3 mil. They're cheap enough for me since I sleeve all my records and are strong enough to handle the abuse I put my records through. They are a bit cloudy but that doesn't bother me. All I know is that the clear bags they made for comic books tend to turn yellow after awhile, don't know if the record sleeves are the same so I'm staying away from those.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Last night I cleaned another batch of records in my Spin Clean and I decided to change the way I put the LP back in the resealable sleeve. I always put the opening at the top of the LP, and based on some of comments made in this thread, I decided to make the opening at the side of the LP where the record comes out. Wow, what a difference and I can't believe I didn't think about it before. It's so much easier to just have to open the flap and take out the LP without ever having to touch the actual cover. It also looks way nicer on the shelf when the LP's are side by side. The spin is now clear and can be read easily. It's not much cleaner, so thank you for a great suggestion.

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

No problem or complaints here about the Japanese resealable's I've bought from Elusive. I swear by them.

21. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

23. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

These are my favs, I use them on 75% of my albums. For my more valuable (to me) LPs, I use their 5 mil Ultimate Outers - great stuff. In both cases, they stay very clear over time.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks. These seem similar to the ones offered by Acoustic Sounds. The 5 seems nice, but are like double the price! Again, the question is, is it necessary?

25. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Well maybe it's more piece of mind than anything else. Like I said, I use the thick ones just for albums that are top notch (cost/condition). There's another reason, though. I've told my family that if anything ever happens to me, make sure you sell the LPs with the thick sleeves to someone you trust! The ones with the thin sleeves, get whatever you can. But the thick ones, those are the valuable ones!

RelayerNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.