I Need Help With dB 'Calculations'

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jtw, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all! How would one calculate the overall change in volume when changing the individual volumes on an equalizer?

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

If you are doing it in the digital realm, you need to reduce the overall gain by the same amount as the highest emphasis you have added. Not doing that risks digital overload in the downstream DAC. You might reduce the gain by an additional 2dB to 3dB as well, which will reduce the chances of intersample interpolation in many DACs causing an overage.

4. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wait a minute. Lets say I play a 300 Hz test tone at 80dB. Then I play an 80 dB 1000 Hz test tone. If I play both of them together, they sound equally loud as the individual tone?

5. harby

harby Forum Resident

The contribution of the EQ on the overall perception of loudness will depend on the musical source material. For example, if you were playing Techmaster P.E.B - Bassgasm, then boosting a 60Hz slider will increase the apparent volume much more than if you were playing some Bach harpsichord concertos.

The ear's perception of volume is subjective - two people might not agree on what represents a "doubling" of the volume. Generally 6dB is seen as a doubling of musical power, although it actually is 4x the wattage to produce.

Played individually, they will seem to have different volumes. Your ear is more sensitive to 1000Hz and will find it louder and more irritating at loud volumes. Your speakers may have differing response curves or resonances that reproduce one louder than the other. Press play on either or both media files below to come to your own conclusion.

jtw likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

300hz video:

jtw likes this.
  7. harby

harby Forum Resident

Another example why dB is hard to translate into perception. Let's say we have a test tone like your audiologist may administer, one that is the quietest sound level you can detect. If we reduce the volume by 6dB, it's not half as loud to you - you hear nothing.

8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Depends on the Equal Loudness Contours, as human auditory perception is not linear. You need some fancy equations and even then it's probably only a guess. Either match the levels before and after EQ by ear, or use a digital EQ such as the TDR SlickEQ, which has built in auto-loudness adjustment. I think that one uses an "intelligent" algorithm, probably based on the equal loudness contours, to deternine the amount of gain to apply. From the manual:

"This buttons turns the automatic EQ loudness compensation on and off. Activating this mode will prevent the operator’s decisions from being distracted by the 'louder is better' phenomenon."

Here are a couple of screen grabs to show what it does:

Only boosts with EQ Auto Gain OFF:
    [​IMG]

Same EQ with Auto Gain ON:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.