I Need Your Advice! INEXPENSIVE stereo upgrade...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MJM, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJM

MJM Forum Resident Thread Starter

I Need Your Advice!

In a nutshell: I currently live in an apartment, and the sound system I'm using is the type that you buy already racked together, with the receiver, cd player, tape deck & speakers. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Incredibly mediocre sound quality.

I'll likely be in the same apartment for another two years or so. Here's the joyous part: My budget is currently depressingly low, but I would still like some advice (any advice) on what I could possibly look to for an upgrade in an amp (or receiver), as well as a pair of speakers. My technical knowledge on the equipment isn't on par with what most members on the board seem to possess, so I'm not exactly well-versed enough to read about the equipment, and instantly digest exactly what all of the technical jargon means.

I'm interested in some advice or recommendations that pertain to an INexpensive amp & a pair of speakers. I know some people are savvy enough to locate great items at thrift shops, yard sales, etc, but I would need a little more in-depth knowledge before I would blindly enter that realm. I wish that was an option, since I don't mind if the items I purchase are OLD or new. That doesn't really concern me.

Anyone have any thoughts? Older inexpensive gear that I should look for, which is probably available? Pretty good inexpensive newer equipment to suit my needs?

P.S. As I mentioned, I'll still be in my apartment for a couple of years, and therefore don't necessarily need the most elaborate set-up. I'll worry about THAT when I move into a house, and things are more in order for me. I just always loved the warm, rich, detailed sound of many speakers I've heard, but not knowing much about the equipment, I'm almost leery to use my own judgement. Make sense?

Well, thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice you can give.

P.S. 2: I forgot to mention. I have an entry-level SACD player, which I plan to use as my CD/SACD source for now, so that's not an issue. Thanks.

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Buy used!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick to CDs!!!!!!!!

And select one component that is good enough to be carried for the next steps. Ideally the speakers if you find a good deal.

OTOH, good music will serve you better than good equipment. Keep your crummy setup for the tiem being and buy music instead.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, music can disappear pretty fast. Don't pass up an RCA Bowie, for instance. Or *anything* from DCC! Or Steve Hoffman.... ya know?

On a limited budget? I'd say go for interesting used speakers first. New Large Advents are pretty nice. Try to find British or American made speakers. Try to avoid the cheaper Asian made speakers. I've found this to be true for my tastes.

Don't worry about anything "audiophile" at this point unless you come across the bargain of the century! Consider this: When you get the Big Buck $ystem, this will be the secondary system that you'll keep "forever" as it'll remind you of simpler days. I still have most of mine!

This is all very general - you can find crappy sounding British and American speakers and great Asian speakers but....

This will take patience and lots of searching. Listen to the speakers first with your own CDs. Look at them carefully - are they both the same (look at the speakers drivers, etc.). If you can't hear the speakers (not plugged in, etc.) don't buy them - walk away. No matter what the salesperson says. There's lots of speakers - and stereos - out there!

...and even research them on the net before purchasing, if possible!

Then go for a receiver..... or tubes.....

On the other hand, if you find a McIntosh tube amp, forget the speakers, buddy! Ya know what I mean?

Anyone else? Can anyone recommend decent speakers?

4. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

For speakers on a budget, I would suggest checking out the Acoustic Energy Aegis One. They have been discontinued and available for $199.00/pair @ http://www.audiolab.com/for_sale/MoreInfo.asp?ItemID=471

The AE One is an excellent little speaker imo with solid build and smooth highs, compliments of the silk dome Vifa tweeter. Bass is quite punchy for a minitor specially in this price range. For more info, Stereophile published an excellent review on these speakers which can be found in their archives.

For an amp, you might consider an integrated amp such as an NAD. They seem to be very good performers for the cash. You can normally find deals on these at http://www.qaudio.com which is a reputable dealer. Others to consider would be an entry level Cambridge Audio integrated (50W per channel) which can be found at http://www.spearitsound.com, starting at $289.00. You might also check audioadvisor.com (30 day return policy) which runs very good specials from time to time on Creek integrated amps.

Hope this helps.

Jet

5. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Buying used equipment is really the way to go. Are there any thrift stores in your area? You have to be in the right place at the right time, but there are some incredible bargains to be had out there. I picked up my beloved JBL L-100 Century speakers for $38 at a Salvation Army store. Some of the larger pawn shops are worth a look, too. A lot of older equipment has ridiculously low bluebook values, so you can sometimes get some great deals.

Believe it or not, it's sometimes possible to get a good deal on eBay as well. Right now I'm using a late-70's monster Yamaha CA-810 integrated amp that I bought on eBay a year ago for $100. If you check the listings on a regular basis, you'd be surprised at some of the good stuff you can pick up for a song, especially when the "Buy It Now" feature is offered. Some companies like Marantz and Pioneer are very hot and the prices are inflated, so if you look for quality units by less-popular manufacturers like Kenwood or Harman/Kardon, you can make out like a bandit. The quality is just as good, but they haven't yet become popular on the collector circuit.

If you want any specific advice or tips on what to look for and where to look, send me an email and I'd be happy to help.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Jeff. e mentions vintage Marantz gear is overpriced on eBay, that's very true. However, it's usually the receivers that fetch silly high prices. The less "sexy" integrated amps perform beautifully. I bought one mid-70's version for under $100. It's fantastic. I only 'retired' it after getting into the tube game.
    The speaker recommendations here are good too. Don't forget Paradigm's Atoms for under $200, might give those a try.
    I'm partial to Tannoy speakers, their entry level line is cheap and sounds great.

I've heard some NAD gear and I'm always very impressed.
    And there's www.audiogon.com for plenty of used stuff all over the budget range. You can get dealer demos on current gear for a big discount.
    Dan C

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, buying used equipment in working condition is the way to go. A lot of used stereo equipment is sold as is though.

8. BradOlson

If you have a minisystem with an AUX jack, you can upgrade it by getting a DJ mixer and we have lots of them to choose from at www.northernlightfx.com and they do provide the phono preamp needed and more. My TV, VCR, DVD player and turntable are hooked up to the mixer and when you play CDs on the DVD player, the CDs can even sound better than they do on the CD player built in to a minisystem.

9. Ian

Ian Active Member

I'll second the Paradigm Atoms. Fantastic sounding speaker for the price.

As far as a reciever goes I'd keep an eye out for Onkyo. I feel their build quality is a few steps above the usual fare that's come out of Japan within the last 10 years (with the exception of Denon but they are a bit more pricey). Plus their "relative" obscurity makes them a fairly good buy used.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree, buy used equipment. I bought my Krell used and saved 60% off of retail. The unit was only a year old at the time.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dittos. Used equipment with a track record of being resilient, sounding great.

12. GabeG

GabeG New Member

What is your budget?

13. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

An additional speaker line you might look into are the Axiom. See them (specifically, the M3ti) at http://www.axiomaudio.com. Free shipping in the US plus a 30 day $$$ back guarantee. Not much to loose trying them out at home.

There is quite of bit of favorable feedback on these from owners at http://www.audioasylum.com, speaker asylum. Use the forum's search feature on these and you could be reading for quite a spell!

Jet

14. Snowdor

Snowdor New Member

As everyone else has suggested, try to find used older equipment as you should be able to get better value for you $$.

Since you live in an apartment, and I suspect that you cannot play your system extremely loud, you may want to concentrate your attention on getting a pair off high efficiency speakers so you do not have to crank them up loud to get good sound. Look for a 90 db sensitivity or better and you will be pleased that you don't have to turn them up loud to enjoy a satisfying tone and sound stage. If you can find some as high as 95db you can even buy a low power tube amp that can do wonders.

You already have you digital source so all you need is an integrated amp and the speakers. Enjoy your search.

:)

15. BradOlson

16. MJM

MJM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who has responded to this thread. I genuinely appreciate the responses, and have seriously taken each recommendation to heart. Any more ideas... please keep 'em coming! I love hearing the various opinions--it's great. Thanks again!

MJM

17. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

One more.:D

I would have mentioned this earlier but I just found out yesterday evening that it was available.

Ed Frias of EFE Technologies, it a very highly regarded speaker designer located in So. Cal. A couple of years back, Ed designed an affordable DIY speaker which has received very positive views from owners that have gone through the trouble of assemblig the kit. You can read about it here piece by piece including owner reviews, http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx (DIY Speaker Kit)

Well, the kit is now available fully assembled from Speaker City for $330.00/pair. It is the third from the bottom here: http://www.speakercity.com/bookshelf_kits.shtml This speaker uses quality X-Over components, Peerless drivers with a very solid cabinet.

Should you have an interest or questions, post them in the DIY/Tweaks forum at audioreview.com. Mr. Frias is always more than willing to respond as are others that own this speaker. Speaker City may laso email you photos of the finished product.

Jet

18. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Where you at?

Hey MJM:
    Where is Maryland are you? I live in Montgomery County.
    If you are in that part of town there is a great store in Kensington called Sound Works. It's the place to go if the prospect of standing in line to pay for a receiver behind a guy with a refridgerator in his cart makes your skin crawl.
    Feel free to hit me back with a PM for more info
    Good luck
    Norm

19. BradOlson

I did another inexpensive stereo upgrade. Along with the existing speakers, I took the speakers from my sister's Aiwa stereo which doesn't work well except for the radio and the AUX input, hooked it up with my stereo, and I was able to pump more even more bass as a result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.