I never realized what a great Telecaster picker Waylon Jennings was..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

He's so dang young here. Great little solo on his Tele. Guess I never realized he played so well. Silly me.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Oh yeah...:agree: Getting into Waylon in the early 70s for me was as easy as slipping on a pair of comfortable jeans.
    To this day, his two Bear Family boxes, are the only such boxes I own. He deserves such royal treatment IMHO.

Just pulled out Ol Waylon...the DCC of course. ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yeah, he definitely had the chops. Great song, too.

4. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

oh yeah he was a very competent player, groovy lookin telecaster.

EVOLVIST and Myke like this.
  5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I did a few shows with him in the 70s and was quite surprised.

I was not a big country fan but did do about a half dozen shows with some of the heavy weight country acts of the time, and was usually quite shocked to discover something there that I could enjoy. Whether or not I like the style, I can almost always spot and appreciate good playing.

6. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Yeah, the expanded Waylon Live has some great fretwork by the man himself, as well as some serious pedal steel picking from Mooney!

Cousin It, melstapler, sami and 6 others like this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Handsome devil too, wasn't he? Almost enough that you ignore those goofy ascots he and his band were wearing!

Great clip. Thanks, Steve.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Wow, never heard him do that tune. Think i now have a new favorite version--sorry, PP&M.

kt66brooklyn and rxcory like this.
  9. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Sweet. Thanks for sharing!

10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Great picking only Waylon could play it:

@ 1:44

vonwegen, hi_watt, Big Train and 4 others like this.
  11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Great geetar player! Love his chicken picken' style.

rxcory likes this.
  12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

So many country artists created larger-than-life personas that overshadowed their tremendous talent. Jerry Reed comes to mind.

Thanks for posting.

13. Great post!

My grandfather knew Waylon Jennings quite well. He was about 10 or 12 years older than Jennings. They met in Lubbock, Texas, and at the time my grandfather was catting around pretty heavy. It was Jennings, ironically, who would sing spirituals, which sort of helped my grandfather mend his ways.

My grandfather didn't own an electric guitar at the time, but with his acoustic he could flat pick just about anything, which impressed the younger Jennings. What also impressed Jennings was my grandfather' tenor voice and his smooth falsetto, which was a great counter to Jenning's lower register. They would sit and play and record whenever they got the chance, using gear at a radio station there in Lubbock. They even played live on the radio.

As fate would have it they soon parted, because my grandfather was older and not with the same crowd.

Ironically, my grandfather married my grandmother and moved to Floydada, Texas, getting a job at Lighthouse Electric, where he ran into another budding musician - this one younger, too. You might know his name. Don Williams.

I suppose my grandfather's only claim to fame was that Williams pattered the falsetto harmony run on his hit, "Amanda" after some of my grandfather's vocal work.

My grandfather was great leading hymns in the local church.

Sorry for the long post.

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

It's always refreshing to hear real country music. This is a great one. The only Waylon I have is some 70's stuff and I can see I need to remedy that.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

One of the best live albums from any genre IMHO.

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Didn't you ever hear about Nashville Cats?

I do love Waylon especially when he is covering Billy Joe Shaver.

500Homeruns likes this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Leavin' Town is the original LP that song is from. It's one of my favorites of his.

[​IMG]

Exciting, Fresh, Talented
    If Webster’s Dictionary would carry a definition of Waylon Jennings, it would probably read:
    Way-lon / Wā’-lōn / n 1. exciting, fresh, talented (and many more overused words).

However, Webster’s is not up-to-date because my friend, Waylon Jennings, isn’t listed. So let’s forget about being so finicky over Webster’s accuracy and move on to something everybody can understand. That’s gossip among entertainers. It is impossible to have a group of entertainers together more than two minutes before someone says, “Hey, ain’t that Waylon great?” Then someone says, “Yeah, sumpin’ else!” And another, “Out of sight!”

Waylon Jennings is part of the new movement in American music, which is sometimes called the “modern country sound.” Probably a better label would be “folk-country,” if you want to give it a name. I could call it many great names but I think the most appropriate is “Waylon Jennings”--because he has brought an element of greatness to folk-country music.

--Bobby Bare

18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I couldn't agree more!!

19. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

He must really like this guitar. The same one like in the first clip. Cool

20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Elvis was thinking about covering Waylon's We Had It All, and after listening to Waylon's cut, put it away saying there was nothing he could add to it. Pretty much all that needs to be said.

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yes indeed...used it all the way to the end. His last full show in 2000:

Big Train and lobo like this.
  22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I think he did alright with "You Asked Me To"!

johnny q and jwoverho like this.
  23. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Hey hoss
    Ya gotta love ole Waylon

Got the extended live and RCA 2 disc best of
    Use to have a lot of lps but not anymore
    Any recommendations

24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

"Dreaming My Dreams" definitely. "I've Always Been Crazy" and "Lonesome, Onry and Mean" are personal favorites.

Cousin It and wilejoe like this.
  25. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Wow Evolvist your grandfather sure knew some of the best musicians

Sneaky Pete likes this.