"I thought rock music was dead. Then I heard Big Wreck."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob9874, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great artist.

2. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Agree fully with the premise of this thread. I celebrate their entire catalogue.

I've seen them a few times since Albatross and they equally tore the roof off. They also did a great session at Q107 on YouTube including an amazing cover of Tears' "Shout".

Ian Thornley's tone, as well as guitar, amp and gear collection is also absolutely second to none.

Rocketdog, Juggsnelson and Rob9874 like this.
  3. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Have to concur. They're pretty awful.

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I picked up Ghosts based on the OP's recommendation and I really like it but I think some of the songs could have used some editing. I'll check out the new one

5. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I respect different opinions, but am curious to know what specifically you don't like about them. I appreciate them on so many levels, that my brain cannot comprehend someone saying they're awful. Not your style, I can get. But awful?

I'm with you there. Every time I play "Still Here", I have to skip to the next song after the last chorus. Goes on way too long.

Murph and Andrew J like this.
  6. James Bennett

Also can't wrap my head around this. I honestly think you might be thinking of another band or something.

Whitney? Power pop?

Rocketdog likes this.
  7. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Yes you're right I was getting them mixed up with another group and actually have just listened to some things from them that I liked. I take it back!

Strat-Mangler, Ryan Lux and Rob9874 like this.
  8. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Hahaha! That's the exact song I was thinking of! I'll just have to edit it myself - great tune tho!

9. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I'm a big Ian Thornley fan. Doesn't matter who's behind him.

10. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Awesome band and for me, along with Opeth the best of that generation of rock.

They should be seen love for the full effect. Too bad they are not bigger outside Canada.

Rob9874 and James Bennett like this.
  11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Clearly you've never heard them before, as there is absolutely nothing "whiney" nor remotely "power pop" about them.

12. I'm just curious who the other group is?

13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

14. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

would love to get 'in loving memory of...' on vinyl

15. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same here. I'd love all their stuff on vinyl, but Ghosts especially. That album has multi-layered songs that I think would really open up on vinyl. Their latest, Grace Street, is the only album they've released on vinyl.

Rocketdog likes this.
  16. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Yes, and because they are only manufactured in the band's home country of Canada, they are also ridiculously expensive to import, too. Hell even the standard price before shipping is kind of high. Personally though, like you, I'd love to have all the band's albums on vinyl.

Rob9874 likes this.
  17. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

"That Song" brings back so many memories

James Bennett likes this.
  18. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

The post of the year on SH. More of this please folks. :)

Strat-Mangler and Rob9874 like this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Was listening to In Loving Memory of... earlier this week, it's a pretty solid album. Aside from the 3 big hit singles ("The Oaf", "Blown Wide Open", "That Song"), I was also surprised to recognize "Under the Lighthouse"... it sounded immediately familiar, but I never would have remembered it in a million years if I hadn't listened to the actual album. Apparently it was released as Canada-only single, but a friend told me it still gets airplay to this day on the rock station he listens to. (I wouldn't know, since I don't listen to the radio anymore). :p

20. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

They have a new video for a song off their latest album Grace Street. Great song and great album

21. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

It's strange that on a forum like this Big Wreck isn't a far more popular band

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wait, woah, hold up a minute. Can we back up the truck for a tad before the next sinkhole pops up? Kinda burying the lead on this.

Why why, WHY. would a perfectly-reliable writer start off his premise with the sentence, "I thought rock music was dead"? Does he not gots the Innernetz?! Does he think his classic rock radio station takes current music into account? Is he so well-versed in the music industry that he's apparently trusted to write pieces and columns about the subject, but can't seem to see any trees in the forest? Is he grumpy because his daughter's favorite radio station doesn't offer speed metal? Is he totally unaware on the axiom that's been a part of the professional music lexicon since before he was born, that 95% of all songs that chart come from 5% of all the record labels? Has he ever visited a basement of a home where there's a 17-year-old boy living in it? Or for that matter just taken a quick sampling of what's playing through the earbuds of any working player in the pockets of a lunchroom in high school?

With an absurd premise such as "I thought rock music was dead", I have to exasperatedly throw my hands to the sky and wonder, WHY this guy even GETS a gig to write for this whatever-media-this-publication-is.

And then, once I calm down a bit...I see it.

His last name is Linker.

He's a Russian Click-bait-bot.

23. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Your post is a bit absurd; he used a common approach to convey the general idea which is that the rock he favors is mostly gone or played by much older groups.

I got what he meant 100% and it made sense to everyone else I know who saw that piece and knows Big Wreck.

stax o' wax and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. James Bennett

Sorry, you're surprised? I posted a post about the brilliant new Wintersleep album, and got zero responses. Death From Above's new LP has I think 3 posts.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've always enjoyed their work.

Fusionfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.