I watched five "Netflix originals" yesterday, and they all were lousy.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I really, really like 'Sneaky Pete'... can't commit to say I love it, but I do really, really recommend it.

enro99 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched the first 2-3 episodes but declared he was an a88hole and out to rip off a decent family. Just lost the will on that one.

3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Wish you would have hung in

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Bosch is excellent!

also enjoy Goliath

unclefred likes this.
  5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I cancelled my Netflix a couple of months ago and replaced it with Mubi because I like artsy international movies. The difference is profound. I may not like everything I see on there, but at least the people who made these movies were trying to do something unusual and show a world view that's more challenging than the norm.

I still have Amazon Prime, which has all sorts of other benefits outside of just watching movies and tv shows, but just like Netflix there's a lot of mediocre-to-dreadful programming. I'm interested in the new season of Mindhunter when it finally appears, and Stranger Things 3, but I'm in no hurry.

googlymoogly and townsend like this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just went to Mubi and saw that Amores Perros and Beyond the Hills were featured. Those are two very fine films.

Solaris likes this.
  7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Ok Cat, you were on the money about Pushing Daisies so I'm gonna give Mudbound a shot. If you're wrong I'll expect a pint at the Flying Saucer!

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Sneaky Pete is excellent, and has a bit of the same clever vibe as Justified, with which it shares showrunner Graham Yost.

Sadly, Sneaky Pete has been canceled after Season 3.

agentalbert likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Bwahahah. When did I start this thread? Lol.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I am Mother was horrible dribble...

timind likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Goliath, yes.
    Bosch, yes.
    We also enjoyed the haunted house series, I don't recall the name, until the final episode. Which totally ruined it with an injection of ill fitting happy sauce.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon originated shows:
    Bosch: Yes, all seasons good.
    Goliath: First season was good. Second season was a mess.
    Man in the High Castle: First two seasons were good. Third season was a mess.
    Catastrophe: All seasons good (now ended)
    The Patriot: Good two seasons. Probably won't get renewed.
    Sneaky Pete: Good, all three seasons.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  13. unclefred

Yes, the second season of Goliath really fell apart. We tried High Castle but for us the second season was a drag.
    I haven't seen catastrophe. We watched a series on Prime called Tin Star, with Tim Roth starring. Another one where it falls apart in the second season.

Scott222C likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

In between your posts complaining about Apple.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

"Love, Death, and Robots" on Netflix is crazy good. The episodes are all really short but they cram a lot of plot into those 12 minutes.

Solaris likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed regarding Goliath. I really liked season 1 but felt let down by Season 2. Not a fan of Bosch, Man in the High Castle or Sneaky Pete. Part of my problem is that Sopranos ruined me for other shows, and HBO is far superior in developing ideas and supporting talent that they bring on. Even a show like Entourage, which I find hugely entertaining and well done, would have sucked on Prime or any other provider (and the movie sucked too, for that matter).

17. unclefred

I do miss HBO but I'm off of that money trail now. I didn't like Man From the High Castle, mostly because of disagreeable lead characters, from the beginning, but my wife did so I watched it with her. Fortunately, it got worse so we bailed.

i don't remember the channel, but we liked a couple of seasons of Fargo.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Fargo...I thought it was canceled since it's been so long since it aired...But it is returning in 2020 with Chris Rock.

Chris Rock to star in fourth season of FX's 'Fargo'

unclefred likes this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I really liked it overall and can't wait for a second season. Yes, the writing varies from good to mediocre, and very few told a complete story, but the fact that they were all pretty short and there was a good bit of humor helped. And the good ones were REALLY good. More please!

Deesky likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I've been told recently to watch Fargo, but I never have. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually--maybe when I can get the blu-rays for dirt cheap.

MitHC is practically unwatchable to me. The entire affair is very dark and drab, not just in substance but in style. The premise really kills it and sucks out the life from the start. Who wants to play make-believe in a world where the Nazis won WWII? Thanks but no thanks. I gave it a chance and it made me want to gargle draino.

unclefred likes this.
  21. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

It's interesting how people's tastes differ....personally I thought LD+R was rotten.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Lol
    I might as well spread the word here: Apple is dead.
    No new products, ideas, or Innovation. Tim Cook is a wash. Lol

unclefred likes this.
  23. Watched a couple episodes of episodes of Designated Survivor season 3 (Netflix original for this season) and was surprised I found it entertaining.

24. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I agree. In my opinion, most of Netflix's original programming is quite mediocre. Of course there are exceptions and a few shows may be outstanding, but I thought that maybe they're only producing movies and shows with the aim of filling up the platform with content. In other words, it's a strategy that seeks to add quantity rather than quality.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And when people with greatly varying tastes say the same thing, they're talking about different shows that exist in the Netflix global library, which means there is something there for everybody and explains why Netflix has become a global juggernaut.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.