I wonder how rare my REVOLVER misprint is.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

I have a Danish pressing of Revolver that has stereo on one side of the album and mono on the other. I looked at all the known variations on discogs http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Revolver/release/2431666
    and none has the combination of matrixes that mine has.

side a is: xex 605 - 2
    side b is: yex 606 - 1

Can anybody shed some light on this?

2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

This is really interesting...so it does not only have the mono / stereo matrixes, but it also plays in mono (a) and stereo (b) ???

3. Kim Olesen

Yes. Can't remember now which side is mono and which is stereo, since i woved not to play it (and maybe damaging it) after discovering the error. It also has DOCTOR ROBERT listed as DR. ROBERT which to my knowledge is a mistake.

4. Kim Olesen

Must be side one that is in mono since UK uk monopressing use xex 605 - 2 as matrix.

5. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

Do you not normally play records? How would playing it damage it? If you are concerned with its worth it playing cleanly,even as as error, would greatly increase the value.....but you cannot know that until you play it. Unless you have a hundred dollar turntable or some pos that isn't setup and you never play records I don't see the fear.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

I thought that was only the mono version (xex 606-1)? Mine is the stereo version (yex 606-1)

7. mesaboogie

Ya i was crosseyed for a second.

8. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Too bad it wasn't the other way around. It would definitely be worth way more. It is still kind of neat.

9. Kim Olesen

Yeah would have been a "better error" the other way around.

But what i find intriguing is that this variation (this particular combination of matrixes) is completely unknown.

10. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Not as many Danish Beatle collectors. I have found that some of the Dutch and other countries pressings sound very nice and you can find some real gems.

11. mesaboogie

Why not create a listing for it? If you use discogs it's nice to give back and post stuff so others can find and add to it. Tag it as both Mono and Stereo so it really stands out, and since that is presumably what it is.

12. Kim Olesen

I'm already on it :)

13. Kim Olesen

Ok, i tried but submissions on the discogs page is too user-unfriendly.

14. Kim Olesen

15. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Interesting that the Danish pressings seem to be pressed from UK stampers? I just bought a mint Danish mono revolver for a fraction of the price that a similar UK copy would cost, I'm looking forward to listening to it, do you know if all Danish albums came from UK metal?

16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I have a Danish stereo With The Beatles, which has always sounded excellent to me.
    I just checked the matrix, and indeed it is sweet YEX.
    Now I know why it sounds so good. :)

17. Kim Olesen

What is special about mine is the fact that it has mono on side one and stereo on side two. A combination that is so rare that it's not documented anywhere. Not even on Discogs. This probably makes it the rarest of all revolver pressings.

18. Dr-Winston

Now all you need is a mispress with stereo on side one and mono on side two and you'll have the same satisfying feeling you get when you reunite two wayward socks...

PhilBiker, Jae, Brudy and 3 others like this.
  19. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Yes, as far as I know all Danish Beatles LPs were made from UK stampers. It was pretty common for EMI to supply overseas affiliates with metal parts instead of a copy of the source tape.

20. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

doesn't the revolver mono w the 1 mat# have the longer TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS version?

21. Dr-Winston

Been in Copenhagen this week paid £8 for a ex/mint one box stereo Help!, £8 for a ex/mint Hey Jude & £10 for a vg+/ex Let It Be all pressed on nice heavy vinyl using early UK metal. The Let It Be is a G&L flipback sleeve with a red apple. Very happy with my growing Danish vinyl collection, lovely pressings all made with UK parts. I have also recently picked up an ex/mint Rubber Soul mono loud cut for £3o on eBay. Considering what a Y&B UK equivalent would go for I'm shopping in Copenhagen from now on...

goat65cars likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don't know for certain, but here's my fairly educated guess:

Rare? Probably reasonably rare. Danish pressings aren't that common to begin with, so a production error like this is probably pretty uncommon.

Valuable? Probably not. Production errors like this are generally viewed more as curiosities than collectibles.

PhilBiker and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Yes.A couple of years back,when my Goodwill clearance was still going strong,I scored a lovely ex/mint second pressing (1966) Danish mono A Hard Day's Night in one of my many big piles of records for forty cents a pound (weight).The covers and Emitex inner sleeve were even printed in the UK.

24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I actually seem to recall another member on the forums having one of these. If I'm misremembering where I saw it, then I at least definitely saw one online before. Perhaps it's the same copy?

25. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Yes it should.

goat65cars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.