I Won't Sing It...Singers Who Turned Down Hit Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I think I recall Tom Jones confirming the story. If you listen to Long Live Love, near the end of the song, they lift the horn arrangement directly from It's Not Unusual.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Not true. Monkee fan urban myth. IIRC they DID turn down a song called Sugar Man

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Fair enough then if he did. But whenever I’ve seen her interviewed she always talks like she was the biggest star in the world and puts down her other peers to seem like she was the hot ticket. She made some good records though.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

First I've ever heard of that. Janis Ian turned down You Light Up My Life.

5. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Micky Dolenz disagrees with you

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Ah, OK. She may have never been asked. She did turn down the offer to sing a James Bond theme song.

Edit to add: OK, it could have happened. Michael Kamen was a friend and collaborator of Kate's.

8. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

The psychedelic band the Human Expression turned down "Born to Be Wild", later a #2 hit for Steppenwolf.

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Elvis Presley, for all intents and purposes, turned down "Don't Forbid Me" in 1956. It was in a pile of demos he had, but by the time he listened to it, Pat Boone had recorded it first and would hit #1 with his version. Elvis mentioned it during the so-called "Million Dollar Quartet" session.

goodiesguy and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Don Henley turned down "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You". I've always wondered which perspective Henley would have used if he recorded the song. Ann Wilson sung it from the perspective of a female driver who picked up a male hitchhiker. So, would Henley have sung it as a male driver who picked up a female hitchhiker? Or would he have sung it from the perspective of a male hitchhiker?

BTW, the original version of the song (without the creepy hitchhiker vibe) was recorded by Dobie Gray in 1979:

JDeanB likes this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

Fake news!
    :pineapple:

a customer, Rufus rag and Grand_Ennui like this.
  12. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Mott the Hoople turned down "Suffergette City" to get "All The Young Dudes" from Bowie.

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

What is it with you and brackets?

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Ian Huner/Mott the Hoople turned down Can't Get Enough - one of the reasons Mick Ralphs bailed to form Bad Company.

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

JDeanB and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bobby Darin turned down Daydream, Younger Girl and Do You Believe in Magic
    Sophie Ellis Bextor turned down Can't Get You Out of My Head
    Elvis was supposed to record Sea of Heartache on his last recording session before going into the army but ran out of time.
    The Beach Boys turned down Seasons in the Sun

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I suppose you could start a separate thread for Elvis, who supposedly turned down "It's Only Make Believe" and "Only The Lonely", enabling their co-writers to get hits with them

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

The Association famously turned down Jimmy Webb's "MacArthur Park" when they were recording the Birthday LP.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Frank Sinatra turned down "Suicide" from Paul McCartney.

Paul explains: "I actually got a request from Sinatra for a song. ... I spoke to him on the phone and told him about it: ‘Great, Paul, send it along.’ Thank you, Frank! So I got that out of it. I did a demo, sent it to him and he thought I was taking the piss. He really did. ‘Is this guy kidding?’ You know, sending Sinatra a song called ‘Suicide’? He did not get it."

It wouldn't have been a hit though.

goodiesguy, kwadguy, pantofis and 4 others like this.
  20. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Ditto!

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Not exactly a turn down, but Bill Medley says the Righteous Bros did everything they could to avoid cutting "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'". Medley thought it better suited to the Everly Bros, while Bobby Hatfield hated it because he comes in so late.

22. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

The Tremeloes - Yellow River

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've heard they couldn't have turned it down, as it was supposedly written in 1969, after The Monkees were supposed to have turned it down... There is/was a song called something like "Sugar Man" they did turn down, and it's said the confusion comes from the two songs having somewhat similar names...

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Cliff Richard turned down "What's Love Got to Do with It," which became Tina Turner's comeback hit (though she wasn't overly enthused about it, either).

TLC vetoed "...Baby One More Time," which became the debut single (and a #1 hit) for Britney Spears.

Both Hilary Duff and Pink turned down the song that became one of Kelly Clarkson's signature hits - "Since U Been Gone."

25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Always thought it sounded like Dionne

pablo fanques and SITKOL'76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.