I would pick my Sennheiser HD800S over pretty much any speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I think my body would miss the dynamics of my room system when listening to headphones perceiving only with my ears. The impact of the pressure wave that hits the body when well-recorded drums, or any high-level percussive instrument or sound source is produced, is awesome combined with all the other elements of fine music reproduction.

JNTEX likes this.
  2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

For me, it's a comfort issue. I don't like having my ears covered for more than an hour at a time.

Agree with the sentiment of the thread, though. Headphones enthusiasts are suffering for lack of quality products. With everyone making them, I wonder when we'll reach peak headphone.

3. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

My thoughts exactly.

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Your 'phones don't have to compensate for shortcomings of your listening space. The only fair comparison requires that the speakers be properly placed in a space that is architecturally and acoustically optimized for their performance.

That costs money you and I don't have.

bruce2 likes this.
  5. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I think it's cool that with a relatively affordable headphone/amp combination you can have the best possible listening experience, whereby the best sounding home/studio setup would (prohibitively) cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Carl Swanson and Doug Walton like this.
  6. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

For clarification, I couldn't edit the original post and this is driving me crazy. Guess there's a window of opportunity for edits.

7. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I am a headphone guy and believe any true music lover should have a quality set of headphones tucked away. Because without doubt, headphones beat speakers in analytical sound quality dollar per dollar(and not by a little bit either). However, they cater to only one sense hearing where as speakers you can feel. Also, it’s much harder to enjoy the music with somebody. So it’s really where your priorities are in the way you perceive music that determines what’s better.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree, no doubt, headphones can sound great, but for me I prefer having speakers. Headphones can be a great alternative for people than live in apartments.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've been a Sennheiser fan for 40 years and have two pair in my system and love them to death. They are a wonderful brand, a first-rate company and I use mine regularly. They are not a replacement for open-air speakers IMO however, despite the strengths. If you want the simulacrum of live music, you must have open air speakers. There simply is no substitute.

Tullman and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

It's funny... I just sold ALL of my headphone gear... a pair of Oppo PM1, Audeze LCD-XC, an Oppo HA-1 amp, and more... all because I now have a stereo listening room, and NEVER used the headphones.

It's personal, and whatever you like, is "right". To me, as much as there is a real joy in listening to great headphones, nothing beats open air listening for me. I just love it.

Glad you found your happy place, and hope you enjoy the music!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.