Ian Anderson Thick as a Brick/TAAB2 Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbda, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The same for me Rick, as far as being really into them. I saw them several times in the 70's and lost interest in the 80's. I met a guy who was a huge Tull fan though at one point and we used to drink a beer and listen to Tull for a while, but that stopped once I started working.

I can highly recommend this show if you're even the slightest Tull fan. Ian Anderson puts on a great show and you won't be disappointed, I assure you.

Enjoy! :cheers:

2. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

I went to the Houston concert last night. I thought it was extraordinary. If you love Thick as a Brick, I strongly recommend you see this tour if you can. Hearing and seeing the entire piece played live straight through is something to behold.

I had seats up front and close, so I can't comment on volume further back, but the musicianship and the theatrical aspects (both in the stage movements, the videos behind the band, and the delivery of the lyrics) brought the old standard to life. Larger than life.

I had read some of the comments on this thread as a bit qualified in their praise. The concern regarding Ian Anderson's upper range was addressed artfully with Ryan O'Donnell voice; his performance during the "Do you believe in the day?" passage from side 2 was worth the price of admission.

The two remaining pieces, TAAB 2 and Locomotive Breath, were entertaining and an extra as far as I was concerned. I could have gone home happy after the original version. TTAB 2 is definitely enhanced by a live performance and to me had the feel of a musical. For the encore in Houston, we had a guest female astronaut flautist (first name Claudia I believe) who showed up on stage in a blue jump-suit uniform. She played a bit at the beginning of the encore before being joined by Ian Anderson, who carried the majority of the playing thereafter.

I would rank this performance the equal to any of the top concerts I've seen over the years.

3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Wish I'd seen them on the Benefit Tour like rickg !

After TAAB and Passion Play, the Tull concert I remember best was seeing them on the ROCK ISLAND Tour.... that was SWEET ! I encouraged 3 friends to go, and they all loved it, as well. It was at the State Fair Arena, and the sound and volume and performance was awesome! The most satisfying concert of the year for me, in a year that I also saw SRV and Jeff Beck.

I saw Tull outdoors somewhere else in there, and the Texas summer heat is no way to enjoy a Tull show...

5. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I'm going tonight to the Akron show. I'm sure I will enjoy it. Last time I saw Jethro Tull live was in Baltimore around 1982!

6. Look for me. I will be the grey and balding old guy playing air guitar! LOL

Rick G

7. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

There were a lot of people looking like you!

I enjoyed the concert as I am a big fan of Jethro Tull and TAAB is one of my favorite albums. Unfortunately, Ian Anderson's voice is gone and now I understand what people have been saying about his voice on this forum. Nevertheless, TAAB2 was awesome and Ian tailored it to his "aged voice".

His flute playing is still superb and he did tons of that. Locomotive Breath was the encore. The playing was great. Bought a T-shirt (an got one for free) and the program booklet.

Now I'll be ordering the TAAB/TAAB2 re-master to enjoy.

8. I enjoyed the show as well. My buddy played TAAB2 on the way down which was the firs time I had heard it. OTOH, TAAB1 is etched into my brain with no need tor refreshing.

The band was very good and the other singer kept us amused through the evening with his antics along with Ian's normal hectic pace. I also enjoyed the interaction with the video which was pretty cool and perfectly synchronised and choreographed which brings me to opinion on the show. To me it was too much of a theatrical production and not enough of a rock concert. I would suspect that the show doesn't vary more than a couple of notes from city to city.

Now this isn't to say it wasn't a great show because it was very entertaining and it was performed at a high level of musicianship by pros but there was nothing spontaneous that makes a rock concert special.

There was one thing that did impress me however and it was Ian's flute playing. I seemed to me that compared to what I remember hearing at his concerts in the 70's, he actually plays the flute very nicely now with very good tone, much less spitting and blowing hard into it. Of course he has had an additional 40 years of practice. LOL

Of course, YMMV.

Rick G

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I was at the Long Beach show a few weeks ago here in CA

I really enjoyed the show, even though it was odd seemingly being the only person under the ago of 40 there :laugh:

Ian and the band sounded great, at first I was not sold on bringing in another singer but he impressed me and he really does sound like old school Ian so all in all I was happy with the way they did it

10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm late to the game here. I missed out on the local TAAB shows due to scheduling conflicts. This had me pretty disappointed as I figured this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Having listened to TAAB and TAAB2 a bunch of times recently, I decided to listen to some of the recorded concerts from the UK leg of this 2012 tour. I don't mean to be negative, but I want to express my thoughts to someone, and this is really the only place to do so. :)

First off, the musical performances were fantastic. Just as one would hope, these albums were played in their entirety with all of the capability and energy of vintage Tull. I would have loved to hear this live!! I haven't seen or heard Ian Anderson sing live in over 10 years, and it seems to me that his vocals are even less tolerable than they were then. I am now not so disappointed that I couldn't make it to see these concerts, because I think I would have wanted to run up to the stage, take Anderson's throat in my hands, shake furiously and yell, "Sing it properly, dammit!!!" Is his voice really so weak that he must either speak the lines or do his impression of Robin Williams as Popeye instead of actually singing?? And when he does sing, he does so with absolutely NO respect for proper meter. It sounded like he was actually throwing the band off by being so late when reciting the lines. Sure, it was much better when the other vocalist took over, but even he was tentative at times in his performance.

In any case, I really don't know what Anderson thinks he is doing or if he still has the ability to hear himself, but he sounds utterly ridiculous. He should skip vocals altogether and just stick with the flute. He sounds like it's a struggle to spit out every word and frankly I don't think he should even bother.

11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

My seats were on the stage left side in the first row roughly where the two sections on the floor split. Being in that first row....clear sight line, even with the railing in front of me. The sound was VERY good. Another show where the ear plugs weren't needed to filter out anything or protect your hearing. I was a late attendee to Tull shows(20th Anniversary Tour). Perfect setting, outside in a zoo!:D Only downer was the cops aggravated the crap out of us the whole show digging in EVERYTHING.

I'll go see Ian/Tull show until he doesn't do it anymore. So few left that I want to see, and he along with a handful of others are a MUST if within driving distance. Houston isn't exactly around the corner from me, but if that's the only way I can see the show and I can swing it, I'M THERE.

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Swing it far.

13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Shows at the Woodlands during the summer months are brutal. Cocker did me a favor by coming to Gretna Fest. Saved me a trip to TX. Glad to see him in Oct/Nov rather than June/July.

Ian's voice - he had a throat injury in the 80's and never seemed to recover. I'll be honest, when the tour was first announced for TAAB/TAAB2, it didn't amuse me that "Tull" wasn't going to tour. But......again......Ian isn't getting any younger, and I've enjoyed the shows live over the past 25 years. It wasn't until after seeing the show I found out that Martin wasn't too keen on TAAB when Tull originally did it back in the 70's.

14. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tour&thread=2132&page=7#35222

Jul 5 Fri
    The Smith Center Las Vegas, NV
    07:30 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson
    Details: Ian Anderson More Info »on Partner Site
    on sale:Fri, 03/01/13 10:00 AM

Jul 8 Mon
    8:00 PM Ian Anderson
    War Memorial Opera House – San Francisco, CA

Jul 17 Wed
    7:30 PM Ian Anderson
    Kimmel Center – Philadelphia, PA

Jul 21 Sun
    Murat Theatre at Old National Centre Indianapolis, IN
    07:30 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson Plays Thick as a Brick I & II - Find Tickets »on Live Nation

Sep 21 Sat
    NRGi Arena – Aarhus C, Denmark

Oct 13 Sun
    State Theatre Portland, ME
    07:30 PM Ian Anderson More Info » on sale:Fri, 02/22/13 10:00 AM

Oct 15 Tue
    Doors 6:30 pm - Show: 7:30 pm -Ian Anderson
    Place des Arts – Montreal, Canada

Oct 17 Thu
    Hamilton Place Theatre Hamilton, ON, CANADA
    08:00 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson plays Thick As A Brick 1 & 2
    Details: Ian Anderson More Info » on sale:Fri, 02/22/13 10:00 AM

Toronto - Friday, Oct 18
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/listings....2=&locationId=0

Live Music Listings - Ian Anderson
    Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull singer/flautist/composer) Thick As A Brick 1 & 2 Massey Hall 8 pm, all ages, $49.50-$89.50 LN.
    WHERE Massey Hall, 178 Victoria, Toronto, M5B 1T7, 416-872-4255, masseyhall.com ADMISSION $49.50-$89.50 TICKETS AT LN
    WHEN -Friday, Oct 18

Break the story in heavy type ---

15. tootull

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Ian-Anderson-tickets/artist/722512?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name
    Jul 5 Fri
    The Smith Center Las Vegas, NV
    07:30 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson
    on sale: Fri, 03/01/13 10:00 AM

Jul 8 Mon
    War Memorial Opera House – San Francisco, CA

add Jul 10 Wed
    Symphony Hall Phoenix, AZ 07:30 PM Ian Anderson
    on sale: Fri, 03/01/13 10:00 AM

Jul 17 Wed
    7:30 PM Ian Anderson
    Kimmel Center – Philadelphia, PA

Jul 21 Sun
    Murat Theatre at Old National Centre Indianapolis, IN
    07:30 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson Plays Thick as a Brick I & II - Find Tickets »on Live Nation

Sep 21 Sat
    NRGi Arena – Aarhus C, Denmark

Oct 13 Sun
    State Theatre Portland, ME
    07:30 PM Ian Anderson More Info » on sale: Fri, 02/22/13 10:00 AM

Oct 15 Tue
    Doors 6:30 pm - Show: 7:30 pm -Ian Anderson
    Place des Arts – Montreal, Canada

Oct 17 Thu
    Hamilton Place Theatre Hamilton, ON, CANADA
    08:00 PM Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson plays Thick As A Brick 1 & 2
    Details: Ian Anderson More Info » on sale: Fri, 02/22/13 10:00 AM

Oct 18 Fri
    Massey Hall Toronto, ON
    08:00 PM
    Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson plays Thick As A Brick 1 & 2
    on sale: Fri, 02/22/13 10:00 AM

[​IMG]

And those with no sandwiches please get off the bus.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Ok, even if I don't care for his vocals these days, since I missed him the first time and he's coming to Philly which I am an hour away from, I think I'm going to have to see this.

17. tootull

18. tootull

http://www.j-tull.com/tourdates/index.html
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tour&thread=2132&page=9#35486

Latin America
    MAR
    6 Santiago, Chile Teatro Caopolican get tickets
    8 Cordoba, Argentina Espacio Quality get tickets
    9 Rosario, Argentina Teatro El Circulo get tickets
    10 Buenos Aires, Argentina Teatro Gran Rex get tickets
    12 Porto Alegre, Brazil Araujo Vianna get tickets
    13 Sao Paulo, Brazil Teatro Bradesco get tickets
    15 Belo Horizonte, Brazil Teatro de las Artes get tickets
    16 Recife, Brazil Teatro Guararapes get tickets

Japan
    APR
    15 Osaka, Japan Sankei Hall Breeze get tickets
    16 Tokyo, Japan Dome City Hall get tickets

Europe
    APR
    30 Paderborn, Germany Schützenhof get tickets
    MAY
    1 Bremen, Germany Glocke get tickets
    2 Gronau, Germany Stadthalle get tickets
    3 Chemnitz, Germany Stadthalle get tickets
    5 Ulm, Germany CCU get tickets
    6 Leipzig, Germany Arena get tickets
    7 Berlin, Germany Tempodrom get tickets
    8 Rostock, Germany Stadthalle get tickets
    10 Zurich, Switzerland Knogresshaus get tickets
    11 Basel, Switzerland Musical Theatre get tickets
    12 Heilbronn, Germany Harmonie get tickets
    13 Bonn, Germany Beethovenhalle get tickets
    14 Mainz, Germany Phonixhalle get tickets
    15 München, Germany Circus Krone get tickets
    17 Zweilbrücken, Germany Westpfalzhalle get tickets
    18 Freiburg, Germany Konzerthaus get tickets
    24 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle 3 get tickets
    25 Braunschweig, Germany Stadthalle get tickets
    26 Kiel, Germany Sparkassenarena get tickets

JUNE
    20 Rome, Italy Foro Italico
    30 London, UK Royal Albert Hall get tickets 0844 888 9991
    AUG
    10 Spalt, Germany Leider Am See Festival get tickets

SEP
    14 Helsinki, Finland House of Culture
    15 Lahit, Finland Sibelius Hall
    16 Turku, Finland Logomo
    17 Tampere, Finland Tampere Concert Hall
    20 Copenhagen, Denmark TBC
    21 Aarhus, Denmark TBC

NOV
    6 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle F
    7 Graz, Austria Stephaniesalle
    8 Linz, Austria Bruckerhaus
    20 Brno, Czech Republic Vodovo Sports Hall get tickets
    21 Prague, Czech Republic Lucerna Hall get tickets

Canada / USA
    JULY
    5 Las Vegas The Smith Center for the Performing Arts - Reynolds Hall on sale Mar 1st
    8 San Francisco War Memorial Opera get tickets
    10 Phoenix Symphony Hall on sale Mar 1st
    13 Kansas City, MO Kauffman Center for the Perfoming Arts - Muriel Kauffman Theatre on sale Mar 15th
    16 Vienna, VA The Filene Center at Wolf Trap on sale Mar 16th
    17 Philadelphia Kimmel Center - Verizon Hall get tickets
    21 Indianapolis Old National Centre - Murat Theatre get tickets
    OCT
    12 Boston Citi Performing Arts Center - Wang Theatre on sale Mar 2nd
    13 Portland, ME State Theatre get tickets
    15 Montreal Place Des Arts - Wilfrid Pelletier Theatre get tickets
    17 Hamilton, ON Hamilton Place Theatre get tickets
    18 Toronto Massey Hall get tickets

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I just bought a front row ticket for the show in Vegas. A lot of the seats were gone already.

20. tootull

3/8/13 "Lots more Anderson dates announced for Fall some sans venues TBA tour dates"
    http://www.j-tull.com/tourdates/index.html#USA
    Canada / USA

JULY
    5 Las Vegas The Smith Center for the Performing Arts - Reynolds Hall
    get tickets
    6 Los Angeles The Greek Theatre
    8 San Francisco War Memorial Opera get tickets
    10 Phoenix Symphony Hall get tickets
    12 Salina, KS
    13 Kansas City, MO Kauffman Center for the Perfoming Arts - Muriel Kauffman Theatre
    on sale Mar 15th
    14 St. Louis
    16 Vienna, VA The Filene Center at Wolf Trap
    on sale Mar 16th
    17 Philadelphia Kimmel Center - Verizon Hall
    get tickets
    19 Cleveland Heights, OH
    20 Cincinnati, OH
    21 Indianapolis
    Old National Centre - Murat Theatre
    get tickets
    22 Highland Park, IL Ravina Pavilion on sale Apr 25th

OCT
    9 Westbury, NY Theatre at Westbury
    get tickets
    11 New York City Beacon Theatre get tickets
    12 Boston Citi Performing Arts Center - Wang Theatre
    on sale Mar 2nd
    13 Portland, ME State Theatre get tickets
    15 Montreal Place Des Arts - Wilfrid Pelletier Theatre get tickets
    17 Hamilton, ON Hamilton Place Theatre
    get tickets
    18 Toronto Massey Hall get tickets
    19 Windsor, ON
    22 Winnipeg
    24 Edmonton
    25 Calgary
    27 Tacoma, WA

no way to slow down

21. tootull

Great Hall/Hamilton Place - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - Oct. 17, 2013
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/thread/2314/ian-anderson-tour-2013?page=16
    The attentive audience was a big part of the story. Hamilton reinforced my love for Ian Anderson's music. The crowd was loyal & for the most part everyone was there at the end, standing for Locomotive Breath. I was very impressed with TAAB2 live. Impressed by all. Locomotive Breath left a few misty-eyed. Might be the loudest Anderson has been in a small venue. Loud bass with a muddy start, cleared as the show progressed. The band seemed more hard rock (can I say metal) at this volume. I was impressed by the unity. Ryan O’Donnell's performance was the surprise for me, a must see as YouTube does not do justice that's for sure. I thought I would not be comfortable with a substitute for Ian's singing, but of course I was pleasantly surprised. Ian Anderson's vocal was the best I've heard live since 1989. Florian Opahle, man that guy is ice-cool replacing Martin Barre. Played his role perfectly as a backing band member for one of the greatest songwriters in the history of ROCK. For my Tull tours since 1972 - this Ian Anderson tour has to rate as one of the most enjoyable productions ever.

-tootull

ParloFax and Pete Puma like this.
  22. tootull

23. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.