Ian Hunter box set in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whizz Kid, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Well . . . no (decent) Barnstorm videos are available yet. Rats. :mad:

2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I saw that a week or two back. I'm a little mixed in my feelings on this, but I suppose if it sells more boxes and they're not jettisoning copies at fire sale prices, it's all a net good.

3. I love This an but did kind of questions n whether they would sell out at that price/number. I have no idea how they are doing with the set but let's hope it sells out. I'd love to see other vintage artists get the same love as Ian. There are 72 Left at Pledgemusic. Not sure how many the other website has left if not many, than it did sell pretty well.

I'm going to see him tonight at the Fillmore in San Francisco and sure hope it sold out.

I'm assuming this tour is called Barnstorm? I ask only because Ian has played with Joe Walsh before...and. Air storm was HIS band. ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Runicen likes this.
  4. Well it has always been popular. Ian stated at one time he didn't think it was that great of a song so perhaps his opinion has changed.

It's a nice set my only nitpicking is that the mastering for You're Never Alone seems louder and less dynamic than the original and Inglot remaster.

5. Did Ian stick around afterwards to sign stuff? Did Steve Holly?

6. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I've seen them about four times in a small club (300 seats) and no one ever came to sign. :mad:

Whizz Kid and wayneklein like this.
  7. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen them in all sorts / sizes of clubs and venues since I became one of the IH "travellers" in 2004... meeting him and getting stuff signed is a hit and miss thing. It depends on his mood on the day... he can be a cantankerous old dude sometimes. In general, he's quite approachable... he tells people on his website blog "if I'm around, stop and say hello"... but it's never that easy. He's very opposed to organized or paid meet n' greets... that won't ever happen... but he'll usually stop at the back door or by the van afterwards. His wife / manager Trudi is very protective of him and there are also usually local industry-types waiting to meet / pay homage to the great man. Also, he has often said how he's "a gentleman of a certain age" (he's 78!) and is usually tucked up in bed an hour after the show ends.

The band, on the other hand, are always extremely approachable... especially James Mastro and Mark Bosch... they'll come to the pre-gig meet-ups in the pub. And Steve Holley is just about the friendliest rock musician I've ever talked to... very patient with the endless / repetitive questions about his ten minutes with Paul McCartney.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Bananas&blow, alexpop, TeddyB and 2 others like this.
  8. I'm more interested in asking Holley about working with a Chuck Berry, Ben E. King, Joe Cocker and Elton John rather than Macca.

I can understand why Ian and Trudi try and reserve his strength--he is 78! I'd rather see him perform than do a meet and greet. What would I say beyond I've loved your music since 1972?

Whizz Kid and Runicen like this.
  9. I have mixed feelings about the arrangement for "Alien Boy" that he performed. The band's timing seemed a bit off for "Just Another Night" performing it a tad bit too slow

10. Whizz Kid

The "new" arrangement of AAAB is usually a highlight of the show these days... but I agree, they were a bit off at the Fillmore last week. The whole night seemed looser and a bit too "jammy" in places... maybe that was intentional (?).
    They certainly set a heavier tone for the evening by opening with 'The Moon Upstairs'.

The encore was a clusterbuck... totally unrehearsed with their guests... and delayed by some tech issues (Ian's glass of champers had poured down inside Chuck Prophet's amp and fried the thing).

The Fillmore is one of those larger venues where the layout and heavy security make meeting the band way less likely.

11. I imagine Chuck must have been ticked. I had to leave after the last song and couldn't stick around for the encore.would have loved too but work called.

I was really surprised (pleasantly) that they opened with Moon.

TeddyB likes this.
  12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I loved AAAB in Los Angeles.

Trudy does watch out for Ian’s stamina, especially without a day off before the next gig. He’s “cantankerous,” as Whizz Kid affectionately says; he’s also so incisive and funny. He told me a story the other night about Pete’s funeral, which he said made him miss Pete (Overend) more than when he was still around. Apparently, under strict orders from Pete, his nurse brought round a box of the book Pete wrote and was selling them for fifteen bucks a pop to his mourners.

Backstage in L.A. the air was being sucked up by the presence of Johnny Depp, who had joined in on guitar for five numbers (to his credit he did learn Ronno’s descending lead riff in “Bastard.”) He was acting okay, it just made the security types nervous. For you McCartney types, Steve Holley’s guest was Denny Seiwell.

Champagne is Ian’s time-honored tipple.

13. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I saw Ian this past Friday night and, man, that band rocked! I've seen Ian about 12 times (including the first trip to America) and this was his best performance so far. It was the second-to-last night of the tour. Mark Bosch is Mick Ronson reincarnated. Seriously. That guy tore his guitar apart.

Glenn coates, slipkid, TeddyB and 3 others like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ronson was a genius arranger and studio musician, but I think Bosch is a better (or at least more exciting) guitar player, especially live. Probably sacrilege to most people, but just my opinion, and I've seen them both live.

Glenn coates likes this.
  15. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Well, I'm about half-way through this monster box set. And i got it the day it was released! I forgot how great dirty Laundry was. Phew....

strummer101 likes this.
  16. I've worked my way through but I also ripped all of the albums to my iPhone to listen to in the car and while working. I'm still a little miffed that the sampler didn't have the demo included on it as part of the box. I mean you pay a boatload for the set (although it is a very generous set).

17. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Which demo?

18. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

So, I open up Rant, hit "play," and the song line-up is different from the commercially released album. Rant (Ian Hunter album) - Wikipedia

How bizarre. A mistake? (Or a collector's delight? :pineapple:)

Even the front cover has a different photo of Ian.

Any one else notice these two changes on their disc from the box set?

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Probably just the UK version. The releases in the US and UK were a little different.

eelkiller likes this.
  20. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Ah, thank you! :righton: Didn't know/think about different releases.

21. Whizz Kid

I think it's been stated by Hunter that the UK version of 'Rant' is the original / intended running order of the album.

It makes sense that version would be included in the box set retrospective... given the fact that Proper Records in the UK did the curating of the box. The all-white UK cover art for 'All American Alien Boy' was used as well.

If I recall, the story on 'Rant' went that the American label (Fuel 2000) were insistent that the running order be changed to open with 'Still Love Rock n' Roll'... which they saw as a potential single... and as more upbeat than the UK opening track 'Rip Off', which sets out the political theme of the record. Hunter said the sentiment of SLRNR (i.e. "despite it all, I still love rock n' roll") was more properly meant to close the album... after his "rant". As for the different cover art, the American label felt that Ian looked too dour on the UK cover.

I'm trying to find where I read all this... not coming up with it. It must have been on the Horse's Mouth back in the day.

slipkid and curbach like this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I actually prefer the UK running order meself btw.

23. I agree.

24. If you buy it at Amazon in the U.S. it's priced at around $450!