If a live Thick As A Brick 1 & 2 is released, would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

Would you buy it? Would it depend on what format it is released?

I would buy it no matter what, but I would prefer it on Blu-Ray.

2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I said "depends on format" but it depends on more than that. I'd have to see what the package involved, and I'd also probably wait to hear whether it was any good or not as well. Certainly not an automatic purchase.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

Very good point. Some of the packaging nowadays is very annoying and subpar to say the least.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I went with no. I don't see how a live version will top the original studio version.

GabeL likes this.
  6. Yes I would. What I've heard from unofficial recordings sounded great and I regret I haven't seen the show live.

7. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

How's this for wishy-washy! Probably not, but..........maybe.

The Hud likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sure, I'd go for it. I love THICK AS A BRICK.

9. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I personally think the format for a hypothetical live TAAB 1&2 release should be a video. There are bits already circulating; and it is an interesting stage experience.

10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

possibly yes or maybe no who knows but i would like the option

11. Yes. The show I saw in Southampton was excellent so I would love to have a good quality reminder of the tour.

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Quite possibly if it was issued on a hi-res format or vinyl.

And as blasphemous as most in this thread will find it, I'd say it would more likely get a purchase from me if Anderson overdubbed his vocals on TAAB 1 and actually friggin' SANG them like he should. Some of the off-time vocals in the live shows were just cringe inducing. Sounds like IA was trying to sing a vocal track whilst pushing a log out his back end.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Probably not, though I enjoyed the show. Ian sang fine on TAAB 2 and it worked very well, but the live version was too close to the studio for me to want a recording. On TAAB 1 I just didn't care for the other singer, plus I have a passable recording of that from '72.

14. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

Oh man....now there's a simile I could have done without....:D

15. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

No.

I love TAAB but am so hacked off over the shoddy "Mewtilation" of the 40th Ann. (I can forgive glitches, so long as they are rectified, as they have been) I would probably make a stand and refuse to pay for it. Until Steve Wilson's stereo remix is available UNADULTERATED, I'm boycotting any more Tull from EMI.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I saw that tour in Salt Lake City, and it was a good show. If it was released on blu-ray (both audio and video) I would buy it.

Did Ian actually have any of the shows filmed?

17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

If on video...YES. The show I saw in Houston was incredible. Well worth the drive.

18. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

I will be really disapointed if a video is not released, though I have it on fairly good report that it is a certainty. The shows in Iceland and Montreux were professionally filmed, I think others.
    Holding out hope for the upcoming Albert Hall performance, and that it be filmed, for Ian Anderson to cajole Jeffrey Hammond into re doing a recitation of his '72 spoken word bit, re "Ian is playing a rhythmic link sequence", altogether a signature moment in that early memory of live Tull, (luckily I have 5 or 6 of those shows, and saw the tour in May and November of 72),and the spoken word bits come thru just fine. I notice mention of guests I am presuming are above and beyond the clever Skype use of Anna Phoebe in the current performance, maybe any or all of the original cast, who at the very least are all on speaking terms with Ian, I believe Jeffrey Hammond remains a close friend, and was at the show last year, I think in Manchester, Barrie Barlow at one further south, had something positive to say about Scott Hammond the current Ian band drummer.
    Given that I refer to myself as the "Tullist", (I may change that, it was moreso for use on a Tull forum)this may not be surprising, but in the history of popular music, I can think of few greater travesties than the lack, that is zero, of quality video footage of Jethro Tull from 71 to 5, when they were at or around the most popular live act in the world, in specific of the Thick as a Brick tour, a game changer for me, arrived an avid fan, left a life long Tull prophet...or something.
    So really my greatest hope for this tour, other than Jeffrey popping up again who really did have a key role in the original performance, although, they all did, was that it be filmed this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.