If The White album was a single disc Then ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Something more 'edible' than Apple Jam (known in the Wugged household as 'mindless noodling'), I hope............. :D

2. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

put long long long long long long and black bird on side 4 put revolution 9 on side 3 which is a side I don't listen to . maybe yer blues on side 4 too.

3. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I *strongly* suggest you my version of it :D

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

...........Then a lot of good music would have to be omitted (Honey Pie on side 4 would not qualify however. It should not have been included even on the double album!).

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

I *strongly* suggest you my version of it :D

Very good!

6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It’s got a few good ones IMO. As opposed to Revolver,Rubber Soul and A Hard Day’s Night where all the songs are great IMO.

7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

It's certainly ok you have that opinion, about the quality of the material on Sgt Peppers. You're opinion being Sgt Pepper "has a few good ones" ( songs). But that is in no way a factual or objective observation. IMO. I think nearly all the Sgt Pepper songs are very good to great. I think the non LP double A single Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields are probably the 2 best. But I think among fans, critics, historians, the following
    1 SPLHCB
    2 Help From My Friends
    3 Getting Better
    4. Lucy In The Sky
    5 Mr. Kite
    6 Within You Without
    7 A Day In The Life

All 7 of those + the PL/SFF are generally considered classics. By fans, Historians, critics. That's a rather conservative view. Because quite a few fans & critics would add a couple more. I'm not being scientific, but based on 40+ years discussing it with other fans, everything I've read about the album, or heard/seen through media. I think a decisive majority would ( & have ) vote those 7 + SFF/PL as great, historic, classic songs. A total of 9 out of 15 tracks conservatively. Obviously I'm generalizing, obviously people that don't like the Beatles, or classic rock, or like you exist in droves. But in the main, any poll or vote of Beatles fans, classic rock fans, critics, or pop historians, would vote well over 50% that at the least those 9 tunes are classics. Some people love Fixing A Hole, When I'm 64, Rita, or Good Morning & She's Leaving Home..

You're opinion is totally cool, but yours is the outside, quirky, odd man out opinion.

But I do agree, there are better Beatles albums, & some with an even higher ratio & percentage of Classic songs. Maybe Revolver. It's subjective in a way, but with songs that well known & studied by so many, I think you can get some kind of consensus. Look how many people think Something & Here Comes The Sun are the best songs on Abbey Road. Perhaps the Medley & or Come Together would give them a run For the money.

It's all good, I'm a little touchy about defending my Pepper today ! Must be out of coffee !

bherbert likes this.
  8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

There are just as many good songs on pepper as there are on revolver.

johnny moondog 909 and bhazen like this.
  9. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

The sheer nerve of some people, eh? Thinking outside the box n all...

10. BurtThomasWard

Yeah, I kinda agree with your point there. Revolver is also rather overrated.

a customer likes this.
  11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

What ?

Well naturally to people that aren't into Beatles albums, or only into one segment, early Beatles or psychedelic Beatles or The White album. But to most fans & critics Revolver is a highlight.

12. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I assumed we are all Beatle fans here. I hear people knocking entire classic Beatle albums and it's ok....When I mentioned that I thought The White Album had to much filler on it I got a Web beating on here like no other. But that is just my opinion. That doesn't mean it isn't one of the great Rock albums. What annoys me is the wierd belief that some on here have that: I don't like Album D therefore album D must sucks.

Just my nickel....

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  13. john morris

No argument sir.

14. john morris

I would really like to argue against your point but then I would have to lie and state that, "Within You And Without You" is a great song. Not gonna do that.

Pepper is an album that must be listened to from beginning to end. It is not a "60's teen girl's single album."

I agree. And I will add that Magical Mystery Tour (either EP or album) is worse.

bherbert likes this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I'd keep it the way it was, but my 15 song single disc 8 on side 1, 7 on side 2 would be this:
    1. Back In The USSR
    2. Dear Prudence
    3. Glass Onion
    4. Obi-La-Di, Oba-La-Dah
    5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    6. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    7. I'm So Tired
    8. Blackbirds

9. Rocky Raccoon
    10. Don't Pass Me By
    11. Julia
    12. Savoy Truffle
    13. Yer Blues
    14. Sexy Sadie
    15. Helter Skelter

16. BurtThomasWard

Most of us, sure.

It isn't really that strange if you've heard every Beatles album been slagged off, even by other fans. Taste is a personal thing, like. My least favorite era of the Beatles is from Help up to and including Pepper. The Beatles aka the White Album is probably my favorite of them all but I also love AR and the first four.

Not to say I actively dislike everything about the mid-period, I just don't like it as much as the rest (Help and Pepper being the two I enjoy the least).

john morris likes this.
  17. john morris

Mmmm...interesting....Workable.....Just might do the trick. I am going to listen to this as playlist and see how it sets.

18. john morris

O.k. someone please tell me because I feel so alone but.....Am I the only one that likes "Honey Pie" on Side 4? Funny how John Lennon yelling out of tune, "Honey Pie! Honey Pie! Honey Pie!....I love you, Honey Pie..." on Side 1 is o.k...That waste of groove space can stay though I notice. The Side 4 version is no different in style from, "When I'm 64..." (All I hear is silence...)

When I did my single disk (25 minute per side) White Album (still working on song order, etc) I basically wanted a condensed version of the double. Same thing but better. Not my "favourite White Album tracks." Maybe I misunderstood the post but I am pretty sure that wasn't the suggestion. Neither was to add songs from Anthology (If the Beatles didn't release them how good could they be?) or take already released singles and pop them on. It's nice to play the Devil's advocate but.....

George Martin put the best stuff (most of it) on side one. Expect for that horrible out of tune wailing, "HONEY PIE! HONEY PIE!" Side One is perfect. But with the deletion of some noise that should never have been on The White Album in the first place we now have room for one more song.

Side A
    Back In The C.C.C.P.
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Obi-La-Di Oba-La-Dah (loved by millions!)
    Piggies
    Bungalow Bill
    Weeping Claptin's Guitar
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Side B
    Birthday (Gets a LOAD of airplay on FM radio.)
    Martha My Dear (???? )
    Savory Truffle
    Don't Pass Me By (Ringo needs a song.)
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide......
    I Will (Nice song but pedestrian. Well liked so...)
    Sexy Sadie (Dropped Honey Pie, S4V)
    Rocky Raccoon (hate the song but a classic. )
    I'm So Tired

Note: I like Helter Skelter but most Beatle fans hate it. According to Beatle polls. And at 4:15 it's too long. I was thinking of fading the stereo version out at 2:15 and then edit Ringo's Blister line at the end but....That would be crossing the line.

That comes to just under 50 minutes. Roughly 24 1/2 minutes per side. The important thing with The White Album is to keep the same selection of varied songs. Too many hard rock songs or to many folky-Paul-acoutic numbers and it changes the whole character of the album. Again, this is not my "favourite White Album song list." My thinking is - It's December 1968 and the Beatles have come to me with all the songs and asked me to choose the best songs for a 50 minute Long Player. this is the new Beatle album. As for the other songs....They were ALL SHELVED.

Oh, Baby Giles had told me that if you don't stop knocking his Super-perfect-still-needs-work Sgt. Pepper remix that he is gonna remix The White Album Hard Left and Hard Right with lots of primitive 80's digital reverb.

19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Wild Honey Pie is Paul. I would disagree that most Beatle fans hate Helter Skelter. And yes...you are probably one of a handful that like Honey Pie.

Bern

20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Anyone who thinks the white album should be shorter is missing the point, and also missing what makes the Beatles truly great in the long run, in my opinion. There isn’t a moment of wasted space on this album, and the outtakes I’ve heard would add nothing. One of the best (double) LP’s I’ve heard. I never tire of any of it.

Folknik and Big Pasi like this.
  21. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I think George would have had more than enough to have an album counting unreleased songs and songs written in 1968

While My Guitar
    Savoy Truffle
    Long Long Long
    Piggies
    Sour Milk Sea
    Dehra Dun
    Not Guilty
    Circles
    the Inner Light
    Let It down

linclink likes this.
  22. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Not Guilty would work (at least for me). I'd drop Piggies in favor of it.

Other than that....agree with your assessment. The fact that it's a double allows for some experimentation.

Bern

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Agree. They may have had the bad taste to write and record it, but at least they had the good taste not to release it. It works on Anthology 3 as a curio and an example of why some things were left on the cutting room floor.

Big Pasi and qwerty like this.
  24. john morris

You would be surprised at how many Beatle fans do hate Helter Skelter. There was a Beatle song poll taken in the U.S. back in the seventies (Beatles Official Fan Club. U.S. chapter) and Helter Skelter came up seriously unpopular. Again, not my opinion. Actually when I first came upon The Hoffman site years ago I was shocked at how many Beatle fans loved the supposedly hated song. Maybe the poll was rigged. Who knows?

Helter Skelter is just too long. At 4 minutes and 17 seconds it takes up the much groove space of two shorter songs.

Exactly....You hit it hard on the head....And that's why Honey Pie was left off. It is really off the cuff and a prime example of the diversity of music that comprises The White Album. But not liked...

25. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

News to me. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.