If you could only listen to a 10 year span of music, and nothing else, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack Flash, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami Mono still rules

This pretty much covers it for me as well.

I hate giving up the '77-'83 period, but the great music from 57-66 in so many different genres wins the day.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I guess we get a bonus year...

I'll stretch mine to 67-77 to get those first two Cheap Trick albums. :righton:

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

1978 to 1987.

Lots of punk rock, all the vital post-punk bands, the Smiths, Pixies, early hip hop, Prince

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

5. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

I would listen exclusively to recordings from the Never Ending Tour form 2002 - 2012 or 1992 - 2002, not sure which.

Might still have some time to toss in some great albums done by Cohen, Beck, Cake, Reed & Dylan during these periods.

third choice might be w/ Sid Hartha, but I couldn't imagine a Dylanless playlist. it would just be too sad.

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

'65 - '75
    Works for me too; cause "Sixties Psychedelic DistortED Electric Guitar" is my thing!
    And then i'd get early "KrautRock" as well!!
    +
    "Pop", "Soul", & "R&B" of course!!!
    [even "Early Disco" yea :D ]

mds likes this.
  7. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Tough call but I would have to go with a lot of fellow members for the 1965 - 1975 period. This way I get the Bob Dylan 65-66 period and Blood on the Tracks, The Who in their prime, The Beatles at their most innovative, Queen's early years, Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen and so on an so on...
    It does mean missing out on things like The Wall, some classic Springsteen, U2, AC/DC (No Highway to Hell or Back in Black :() which would be sad. However that 10 / 11 year period is just so strong and has so many classic rock albums in there, IMHO, that it would be the one which I would be the most happy with. And to be honest is pretty much the period I listen to now anyway, much to my Wife's amusement!!

mds likes this.
  8. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Just read the book, 1965: The Most Revolutionary Year In Music by Andrew Grant Jackson. He confirms what I have always considered to be true.
    I would have to choose 1965 - 1974.

9. longaway

longaway Senior Member

85-95

Probably rivals 66 - 75 in terms of objectively quality.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Jack Flash likes this.
  11. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

1967 - 1977: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER - "HEROES"

12. kailung

kailung Forum Resident

1965 to 1974
    a love supreme by coltrane, my funny valentine live by miles, maiden voyage by herbie hancock, rubber soul by the beatles, electric dylan, the byrds, the beginning of psychedelic....all the way to court and spark by joni mitchell, starless and bible black, red, by king crimson, and big fun, get up with it by miles davis.

what a depth of variety.

13. kailung

kailung Forum Resident

By the way, please don't make me do math here.

Stan likes this.
  14. I love it so much I got the year wrong :o

The cassette was 1981, the condensed vinyl version was 1983 - it's OK though, I took an average.

15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

1900-1910.

16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have to agree. I think the best single years were 69 and 77, and 70, 71, and 72 were pretty good too. I would marginally take 67 and 68 over 78 and 79 (tho 79 really good), so on balance 67 - 77, but it's close. I think the best rock and soul came from late 60s, early 70s and couldn't miss that...

Monosterio likes this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

1966-1975 (or 1976 with the 11 year option)

It's the only was I can get a lot of the classic garage rock and Horses and other very early CBGB albums.

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

1989 ~ 1998.

Covers so many of my favorite albums from NIN, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Verve, DMB, Jesus Jones, King Cobb Steelie, Chapterhouse, Ride, Oasis, Charlatans, Tool, Rage ATM, The Cure, Faith No More, CHili Peppers, Soundgarden, Satriani, Pearl Jam, James, Live, The Farm, Brad, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Catherine Wheel, a little Peter Gabriel, Smashing Pumpkins, Jeff Buckley, Portishead, Toad the Wet Sprocket, The Ocean Blue, Temple of the Dog, PWEI, The Prodigy, Mother Love Bone, Radiohead, Ned's, The La's, many more.

19. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

1955-65.
    Includes my favorite jazz (i.e. Ella Fitzgerald songbooks, Miles Davis best stuff), first 6 Beatles albums, best Dylan albums (minus Blonde On Blonde), and also other best rock albums (best albums by Chuck Berry, Elvis, Johnny Cash).
    If I could extend it 5 years I would go to 1970 to include Blonde On Blonde, Hendrix Experience period, best Stones albums, and at least Neil Young's Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (toughest thing for me is to exclude most other Neil Young albums).

20. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

1961-1970

21. GRC

GRC Senior Member

hard choice - 1963 - 1973 (would miss some good stuff though)

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The '60's. Top to bottom.

23. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

For me, it'd be 1976-1986. In this span, I get nearly all of the best albums from my favorite bands. I don't know why, but I'm more sentimental and intrigued about the music of the 80's instead of the more well-loved music from the 60's and 70's. It can't be an age thing since I grew up in the 2000's.

24. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

7B1 to 7C1 covers it quite nicely. (1969 to 1985 in decimal years :))

25. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Gotta go with 1965-1975, purely because I need my 1965 Brian Wilson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.