SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH Forums.

I think Mal explained it here:

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  2. Thanks a lot!

qwerty likes this.
  3. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 Member

Hi guys first post here so take it easy on me... Above, Steve Hoffman says in this quote that you can place the y adapters between the turntable and the phono stage (highlighted sentence fragment). I am hoping he is correct about this, since I have been doing it for the last 30 minutes on my new tt. Anyone else with experience doing this? Should I stop immediately? Thanks.

4. qwerty

Hi Wolfboy, welcome to the forums. I hope you find it an enjoyable place to hang out.

If you post any comments about your hifi, it is expected that you list your equipment in your profile - this will put a context to your comments and help others assist you. Whilst there are participants here who have mega-expensive systems, there are many who have entry-level gear. So don't be embarrassed if your gear is nothing special at this stage. All audiophiles start with basic gear, then start the upgrading cycle!

Now to your question:

• If you plug your turntable into a phono preamp, which is then plugged into your amplifier (integrated amp or a pre-amp), then the best place for the double-Y is between the phono preamp and the amplifier.

• If you plug your turntable into a "phono" socket in the back of your amplifier (integrated amp or a pre-amp), then you have no option where the double-Y goes - it must be between your turntable and the amp. Technically, this is not the best place for it, as the leads between the turntable cartridge and phono stage need to be low capacitance (whereas line-stage RCA interconnect does not need to be low capacitance). The double-Y could increase the capacitance, which may result in a slight decrease in some high frequencies. This shouldn't be a concern given the benefits of listening to mono records with the adapter. No damage will be done using it in this way.

• Some notes:
    - If your amplifier has a mono button/switch, use this instead of the double-Y.
    - Only use the double-Y for listening to records pressed as mono - using it for stereo records won't give an accurate mono experience.
    - Hope you enjoy your new turntable and the records experience!

5. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 Member

qwerty- thanks for the informative response. I updated my profile with my system info just now. I have an integrated with a phono input and no pre at all so I guess it goes where I put it before- between the tt and the integrated. I listened to a mono pressing of Rolling Stones- Big Hits- High Tides and Green Grass- and it sounded really nice. Thanks again for your help!!

qwerty likes this.
  6. qwerty

[QUOTE="wolfyboy3, post: 17822773, member: 83165"... I listened to a mono pressing of Rolling Stones- Big Hits- High Tides and Green Grass- and it sounded really nice...[/QUOTE]
    A great album to enjoy in mono - I was given one recently. Enjoy.

wolfyboy3 likes this.