Iggy Pop-The Idiot,Lust For Life,TV Eye Live UME Vinyl Reissues 6/2/17 !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aw, that sucks. Both mine were perfect.

e.s. likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Did you get yours from a local store or online?

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Amazon, day of release.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Party time :pineapple::pineapple:

Received my US pressings of The Idiot and Lust for Life. First up is The Idiot. Cover art is reasonable - nothing inside the cover except the vinyl. pressing is quiet.

Sounds pretty good and in another universe to what I have now. Still a little bass heavy but plenty of detail in the rest of audio spectrum. It is cut to vinyl quite low, so you have to pump the volume a little more than normal.

next up - Lust for Life.

[​IMG]

jmczaja and e.s. like this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

Well, I'm going to try one more copy, and if that doesn't work, I'm out!

patient_ot likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I completely missed the boat on the colored vinyl, assuming that this would just be a digital cut. Oh well, old fashioned black vinyl it is . . .

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What exactly did you expect to find inside the cover? A golden ticket? :wave:

But it's nice to hear that everybody thinks the sound on these is good. I looked again at the EU covers and while I still think they could have made a bit more of an effort maybe I overreacted when I wrote "There's nothing to get excited about" a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they are not that bad:angel:?

8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Unless someone's seen something somewhere else, I don't know that there's been confirmation that these are AAA. I know they were sourced from the original tapes, but as we all know, that doesn't mean there was no digital step involved. Whatever the case, these sound great.
    I think part of the problem is the paper stock, actually. I've seen some repro jobs that use hirez scans and look better than either of these albums, but generally speaking, they're also printed on better stock.

AcidPunk15 and Neonbeam like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Superdeluxeedition website reported that they confirmed these were cut from analog. I don't know how reliable their sources are.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  10. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

It was announced as being pressed by URP:

From what I know it is up to the record label if they tolerate any indicators in the dead wax, e.g. I know of Optimal Media pressings which had their usual matrix scheme removed by the record label. I think UMG does it sometimes. From my experience, Universal often uses that "B00xxxxx" numbering in the dead wax for U.S. pressings which then also have been pressed by URP.

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

LOL. Perhaps a lyric sheet :D

Also gave side 1 of Lust For Life a spin. This sounds good as well, brighter and leaner than Idiot. That is the recording , not the pressing.
    I could hear surface noise more thou. I will need to give it a closer listen over the weekend to see if I need to request a replacement.

Nobody will confuse these US pressings with nice Euro pressings - but they seem adequate and are cheap.

I guess nobody has the US and Euro pressings to compare as mastering might be differenton the Euro?
    Safe bet is to buy the US pressings with return rights if needed.

jmczaja and e.s. like this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think the surface noise is due to these being cut so low. It's not so apparent until the volume is turned up.

13. Neonbeam

As reliable as "the best available sources":uhhuh:

14. Neonbeam

A lyric sheet with Gerrrrman trrrrranslation perhaps? "Lusssst fürrrr Läbän"?

I'd like to know this as well because I don't trust Universal EU. Hence my instant negative reaction when I saw the new "Lust" and "Idiot". It wouldn't be the first time that a nice - possibly even all analogue - new US cut would be replaced by a cheap and anonymous in-house mastering. Ideally at GZ:angel:

The standalone Kinks reissues come to mind. And that horrible RSD "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me"(The Cure) (EU!!!!) release on red vinyl. If the EU Iggys are indeed the same mastering as the US I'd be interested. But with Universal you never know.

Turntable likes this.
  15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Nup. The Idiot is cut lower than Lust for Life.
    Anyway, in the middle of Died Pretty and Radio Birdman concert.

This comparison will need to wait :D

16. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

According to Discogs submissions the European HMV exlusive colors silver (The Idiot) and red (Lust for Life) were pressed by Optimal Media and Lacquers were cut by Greg Moore at Finyl Tweek.
    I would guess the lacquers and pressing plant are the same for the complete Euro batch/other colors as well. I cannot confirm this though, I will stick to my early RCA UK & Euro copies.
    If that's really case, I find it quite surprising the U.S. copies were pressed by United Record Pressing while the Euro copies at Optimal Media. I would have expected UMG uses equivalent pressing plants in the same "quality tier", e.g. URP and GZ.

17. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I just got notice that my coloured vinyl copies have shipped. I will update with my impressions soon. Hopefully very soon!

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, despite United's bad rep, they've done a really nice job with these.

19. Pavol Stromcek

Ahem... unfortunately, not in my experience (warped, off center). Admittedly, the warped copy may not be United's fault, as that could've happened after the record left the plant. But when a record is off center, I just can't agree that it's a nice job, even if it's otherwise flawless.

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That's definitely a drag, but I can only speak to my own experience. I bought all three albums, and they're all flat, clean, and centered. I know @Ben Adams said his were pretty much perfect, too. Surely, we're not the only ones?

21. Pavol Stromcek

Oh, I know. I just can't believe that I'm the only one to encounter defective copies, particularly since with off-center pressings, it's usually the entire batch that's affected, or the batch starts out fine but becomes increasingly off center as the stamper gradually goes out of alignment over the course of the pressing process. And since you and Ben Adams have centered copies, with this case it's probably the latter.

22. Pavol Stromcek

So I tried a third copy of The Idiot... and this one has a mild warp, but doesn't appear to be off center on side one, while being a bit off center on side two.

I suppose this one is the most acceptable, despite the mild I-can-live-with-it warp, since it's not egregiously off center like the previous copy. But now I'm surprised to hear that perfect copies of this reissue exist at all!

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Where are you getting these?

24. Pavol Stromcek

I got 'em at - in this order - Amoeba (Berkeley), Amazon.com, and Mad Monk/Rasputin (Berkeley). :shrug:

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I've got the best mastering of these. No need to look further. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.