Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Nope. Too tall.

2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Looks like a lot more than 22 lbs. per shelf. How are the shelves secured to the sides?

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I used the Besta as the basis of a music room I did for a friend. In addition to the larger LP sized cabinets, they also have matching cabinets that are half the the depth, which are perfectly sized for CDs. And unlike the Expedit/Kallex, they have backs! Very tidy looking, inexpensive and they come in enough sizes to make them easily configured into existing spaces. When finished they almost look like they were custom made!

5. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident

i currently have 3 2x4's with a 2x2's on top of 2 of them . over my christmas break i will be finishing my expansion with 1 more 2x4 and 2 2x2's so that i will have 4 of each. inthe back of my cubes i have wood strips held in place by 3 pieces of 3M puffy doublesided tape. i space the 3 pieces out and place them at different angles for more lateral support. none have given way or even budged. in fact this weekend i had to remove the strips from my 2 1x5's that got replaced and turned into a bar and i had to slowly slice the tape pieces with a DE razor blade and took quite a bit of cutting and then a fair amount of prying to get the strips back out.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Wood dowels, no sign of fatigue, we will see how she holds up

7. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Additionally, through many experiences there, I have gleaned that the word "IKEA" is Swedish for "out of stock."
    :rolleyes:

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I thought the word IKEA was Swedish for particle board.

9. IKEA pronounced SHAR-Day

jamesc likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, it does.

11. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Target also sells something similar to the Expedit - they call it a "6-cube organizer". I have a bunch of them and they work great. Also, unlike the Expedit, they come with backing material.
    One piece of advice though - don't install the decorative feet, as it lifts the unit off the ground and can cause the middle to sag over time. I never installed the feet to begin with, but that's what someone from another forum posted.

Vertical:
    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-6...11#prodSlot=medium_1_11&term=6-cube+organizer

Horizontal:
    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-6-cube-horizontal-organizer-avington/-/A-14161912

12. thirtycenturyman

thirtycenturyman Forum Resident

I've never owned an Expedit, but I do have a 4x4 Kallax.

Using a table saw I cut plywood to 13-3/16" square. The plywood was held in place with a screw and finish washer attached to 3/4" square cleats on the top and bottom of each opening.

This system not only really helps with the lateral strength of the cabinet, but keeps dust out and acts as a "stop" for the records, to keep things flush at the front.

I would definitely recommend some type of bracing if you're loading this thing full of vinyl. It seams well built enough for vertical forces, but even some X bracing on the back using strapping would be very beneficial. If you're pushing it up against the wall, you could probably just use a couple L brackets (there's actually one supplied with the unit).[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In the future, I think I'll cut some 1" rigid insulation or foam to adhere to the interior side of the plywood so the records have a softer material to butt up to.

Here's a link to the photos if they don't show up: https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ldk_f3n01DV21KTXFiRlY2MUE&usp=docslist_api

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    marka and mikemoon like this.
  13. thirtycenturyman

Just tried it and it fits with about 1/16" to spare, height wise.

14. paulisme

Do you have the Expidit or the Kallax? I have the Expedit and it definitely doesn't fit.

15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Could be that the Mono Boxes vary in size. My copy will fit in the Kallax or the Expedit. I have both, and it will fit in either one.

[​IMG]

16. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I get the impression the north american mono boxes are slightly taller than the EU ones. Mine doesn't fit and all the claims from those who say it does seem to be from EU.

17. paulisme

OK, I tried mine again, and wouldn't you know it, it just barely fit. If I tried to put it in at even the slightest angle it wouldn't go in.

[​IMG]

18. thirtycenturyman

I have a Kallax, purchased at Ikea in Schaumburg, IL. In September 2014. Vertical dimension of all openings is 13-1/4". My copy of the mono box was purchased from Acoustic Sounds the day it was released.

19. New from Ikea in February more money than expedit but could be cool for those who want something different I assume you could stain the pine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  20. I do like the idea of a base. Not sure if it's metal or not.

21. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

The 2x4 horizontal has the support shelf running the wrong way. I wouldn't fill that with records. The vertical one though, could be nice. I wonder if they're raw wood and stainable?

22. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Cool - many thanks for sharing this. I'm definitely not the most handy guy, but I think I can handle this w/ a trip to Home Depot and have them cut me the square backing along with the cleats. How do the square cleat's attach to the top and bottom of each opening? I see from the picture that it looks like a phillips screw.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

24. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have the 2 x 2 expedit.
    I actually have 2 of them, side by side.
    I am a looking for a third one so I went to Ikea to check out the Kallax.
    Disappointed that it's outside dimension is approximately 3/4" smaller.
    I wish they had made it dimensionally the same at least.

25. thirtycenturyman

Yep. Measure the thickness of the cleat and the thickness of the shelf itself and get a screw that is just under the sum of the two thicknesses. One hint. Remember to offset the screws on the top and bottom cleats that attach to the same shelf, otherwise the screws will be driven into the same vertical location. Hope that makes sense. Here's a graphic to visually explain. This would be a section view from the front or rear of the shelf. The vertical lines represent the position of screws; offset so they don't contact.
    ------|---------------------|---------------------|------ Top cleat
    ///////////////////////////////////////// Shelf
    --------|---------------------|----------------|--------- Bottom cleat

Remember to drill pilot holes into the MDF shelf before you drive the screw.

Make sure you measure a couple different cubby holes as I noticed there was a slight dimensional difference; ~1/16"
    Allow for a little space at the perimeter of the panels.

As for cleat material, I used 3/4" square material and there's still space at the front of the shelf.

marka and econalan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.