Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirtycenturyman

thirtycenturyman Forum Resident

I don't think those are available in the US yet, but the bases look pretty slick. Looks like it's wood if you zoom in on the Ikea website.
    I agree with the post above; the horizontal shelf should be continuous; however, if you have access to a saw, a thin piece of plywood could be cut for either side to support shelf ends. It would be pretty invisible if it didn't project past the front of the records.
    Also, it looks like there's a back panel which may help with lateral stability.

2. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks for follow up. Think I got it.

3. there are coming to the US in February

Dino likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have 2 Kallax units. The 2x4 is a little over a year old. The 2x2 (stacked on top) is about 2 months old. No sagging, no issues at all actually.
    I modified my 2x4 to hold my TT. The shelf it sits on actually slides out, then I can lift the dust cover and place the LP. The shelf slides back in on the self closing drawer tracks. Nice and gentle.
    In the pics, the bottom Kallax unit is slid out from the wall a little bit. I wasnt done installing it yet, so the 2 units dont look like they line up right but trust me it looks perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

c-eling, superstar19 and econalan like this.
  5. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The Nornäs is made of untreated solid pine. One could stain it to the color they like.

It is not offered in the US, though. It is also more than twice the price of the Kallax. The UK website lists a 2X4 Nornäs for £130, versus a 2X4 Kallax for £55.

black sheriff likes this.
  6. It's coming to the U.S. in February. But I'm always surprised that sone spend so much money on their gear and music but investing in good storage is unimportant

Dino likes this.
  7. thirtycenturyman

thirtycenturyman Forum Resident

Good is subjective. I think the Kallax is an elegant solution to address the record storage problem. It offers plenty of space and is sturdy enough to be stable under the weight of vinyl. With a little modification it is a great solution. It fits my decor as well. With regard to support and protection for the vinyl itself, the Kallax is just as adequate as any open shelf system. I don't think there will be an issue with deflection as the shelf spans are short enough that they can take the weight. True, there's always something better out there though

Mazzy likes this.
  8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I got 3 Kallax units 2x4 a couple of weeks ago. One is almost full. The other two should be good for hopefully 10 years before they are full.
    Just the outside panels are thinner so it doesn't look as nice but other than that seems to be the same.

-- Sanjay

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Hey Mazzy, where did you hear this? Not that I doubt it, but I can't find anything elsewhere on the web mentioning it.

I was about to buy at least one Kallax unit but may wait if indeed the Nornas shelving will soon be available here..

10. costbuilin

costbuilin New Member

it caused communal dismay when a record collector learned thatIKEA was discontinuing the Expeditin his home country of Germany, the first to lose the line; upon posting his concerns to IKEA Deutschland's Facebook page,he received confirmationthat come April, the Expedit will be kaput.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  11. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Digging up an old thread a bit, but I finally managed to purchase a 4x4 Kallax unit (57 7/8x57 7/8 ") this weekend. I've read a lot on the Expedit and Kallax as vinyl shelf solutions, stories and issues. I'm an eternal worrier, LOL, so I'm so afraid the thing is just gonna crack in half or something after seeing some of the worst occurrences out there (mind you there have only been two or so documented so far.) I did try to take safety an extra step and place screwed in metal "L" brackets on the back four corners of the shelf, to stabilize the top and bottom edges more. I'm really not planning on attaching it to the wall at this point. I'm not sure there are studs where they would need to be for true stability, and so I'm hoping the L brackets will help things out. I have no real concern with it falling forward, more so just with it falling to the side. So my question is, how many people out there use their Expedit/Kallax shelves (the large ones, 4x4 or so) WITHOUT attaching it to the wall. Had any issues? Working fine so far? It seems pretty stable, but the constant worrier in me is afraid to fill that thing full with vinyl now (which was the entire point of the whole thing! Ha!)

[​IMG]

12. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

13. Vinyl Addict

I have a 2x2 stacked on top of a 4x2. Both are anchored to the wall. I leveled it from the bottom using plastic spacers where needed, then attached it to the wall

14. Johnny Vinyl and tmtomh like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Does that top row hold 7s?

16. Kind of; You'll have to tip the 45 about 30 degress to slide it in.
    [​IMG]

black sheriff and Vinyl Addict like this.
  17. Vinyl Addict

Boooo...it doesnt stand straight up in there?

18. Picky picky! :laugh: Yes they will once inside :D
    [​IMG]

black sheriff and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Hahaha great, but yeah OCD when it comes to my vinyl.

morinix likes this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I really don't think you should have any concerns with a 4x4 if it is oriented correct and you don't put a lot of very heavy items on top. I have two 2x4s and they stand alone without bracing. I did brace my 5x5 into a stud on one side and an molly bolt on the other. It is just about full, but very solid. Biggest mistake I think people make with these is trying to move them when they are loaded or orienting them wrong.

21. OCD in audiophiledom? Never heard of that before. You just be the only one! ;):nyah::shtiphat:

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Yeah exactly

morinix likes this.
  23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I did a similar thing to keep the records from pushing too far back, but I used those "noodles" that they sell as pool toys. They are much cheaper and are easy to cut up. A 4 ft. noodle goes for about a buck fifty at "Big Lots". Problem is that they are seasonal and not easy to find a good part of the year. They are also brightly colored, so if the cube isn't close to full, you can see them. I don't have that issue.:)

mikemoon likes this.
  24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

If there any Swedish members reading this thread I would love to know how Swedes feel about Ikea, and is old vintage Ikea furniture better quality than today's product and is it collectible?

25. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

My 'local' IKEA has plenty of Expedit in the warehouse.

jerol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.