I'll never buy another NAD.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

close- it was lou rawls.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have never held audio magazines accountable for the not-so-great quality of the gears they reviewed. Perhaps some other folks do.

3. coopmv

BTW, I continue to listen to my Tandberg 3003 amp almost daily. The amp is thirty year old

[​IMG]

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

With apologies to Bacharach and David...

"What did he get when he bought a NAD?
    An amp that have him nothin' but trouble,
    He switched it on, it burst his bubble,
    He'll never buy another NAD again
    Hell never buy another NAD..."

PROG U.K. and The FRiNgE like this.
  5. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

FWIW, I have a NAD C326BEE amp and a C546BEE CD player in a second system - work perfectly, sound amazing. Especially for the money.

6. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

FWIW, I have a NAD C326BEE amp and a C546BEE CD player in a second system - work perfectly, sound amazing. Especially for the money.

7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yep but I seem to recall the Rawls master was eaten by an NAD ADAT.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

But is that a widespread problem? I've read good things about the C 272. NAD makes good amps. I've had the preceding C 270 paired with a C 370 integrated amp since 2000 or 2001 and have experienced no performance issues with either of them. The same is true for the C 350 integrated amp in my other system, which I also bought in 2000 or 2001.

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Apparently it was.
    I got mine "Hardly Used" second hand. Went up in a sheet of flame first time I turned it on. Then I found out there had been a recall on them due to aforementioned factory shortcuts. Turns out it really was "Hardly Used". Problem would have appeared if it had been used or fixed if sent back with the recall. Got mine upgraded by an Ex NASA tech so it goes well now !
    Since it's a power amp I have it paired with the pre side of a venerable old 3240 Integrated I've had since new in the early 1980s.

I like the "nothing to see here" styling and how they've kept it the same for years.

10. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I guess my experience would be the opposite of the original post.

I have never had a problem with a NAD component. I used a 906 multi channel amp literally every day for more than 5yrs- rock solid. I own and use from time to time a 3020 (first version) 7020 receiver, 7060 receiver, 7220 receiver, 7240 receiver. All work as they should, but I do have to brush out the dust and clean level pots from time to time. In fact, I used the 7020 receiver 2 days ago to provide background music for a Xmass party- connected an iPod and a pair of RatShack Min7 speakers. Great sound non stop for 6 hours ! It had sat unused on my shelf for several years prior- and before that it was used by my daughter as her bedroom "stereo", connected to an old pair of Celestion speakers, a Technics TT and her iPod.

11. coopmv

I have NAD equipments from the late 80's and 90's and they are all working fine. I think the problem is more with the equipments that were made over the past few years ...

12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I was really flirting with buying a 326 or 356 but I am scared now.... still seems like amazing amps from what everyone says. I have an AS-500 that I like but I want more !!

13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I've had little trouble from NAD stuff I have purchased over the years. CD player upchucked its LED front display one time but that's about it. I don't see them any worse than anybody else unless you have Chineseitis.

14. everton

everton Forum Resident

I have had a 720BEE receiver (same amp section as the 320BEE) for 6 years. It was well built with good parts inside. I've never had a problem with it.

You have the A-S500. I don't know whether the 326 or 356 will represent a significant improvement.

15. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. So many posts here from happy NAD owners of older equipment that are completely irrelevant. Gary also hit the nail on the head in post three. Hope I don't sound like I'm trolling or throwing a tantrum!

16. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your amp. I would be pissed to get only a couple years out of any electronic product. What exactly was the problem with the AV receiver? I'm curious as I just purchased a NAD T758, a lesser model than what you had.

The power amp board on my twelve year old Rotel RSX-1055 started failing which prompted me to get the NAD.

Regards,
    John

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

In Larry I Trust.

18. Larry Naramore

It just died, stopped working. I just pitched it as I was fed up. It might have been something real simple. I did have my Master Series NAD M55 CD SACD Player serviced and am quite pleased with it again. Time will tell. I did a shout out for Alan here but didn't get much response.

BigE likes this.
  19. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Hope it wasn't just a blown fuse inside the unit. Was it well ventilated, looks like it was a monster sized amp. I'll be disappointed if I don't get at least a dozen years from mine.

20. Larry Naramore

I will never know. Now I wish I would have taken it to Alan over at Henry Radio. If it had a fuse it wasn't the old fashioned ones that I am used to. :)

21. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I found this bit from a NAD page which leads me to believe there's an internal fuse on most of their gear.

http://www.customavsolutions.com.au/nad

The T 977 is cooled and controlled by a uniquely designed forced air system originally introduced in our top-of-theline Masters Series M25. The circuit measures not only the temperature of the heat sinks, but also the level of the input signals, to automatically silence the fans so as not to spoil quiet music passages. A combination of fuse and electronic nonintrusive protection safeguards each of the seven channels against excess temperature, DC fault, and loudspeaker short-circuit.

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

with the 272 amp the issue was poor capacitor supplier quality. they switched suppliers very early in production and the problem disappeared. the caps that overheated were white. the ones that replaced them are blue. i have a c272 with blue caps and it is a powehouse and works flawlessly .
    lots of hifi stores in this area demo the nad range and i have no5 heard any problems in countless hours. i would not rec0mmend to avoid them. cd players maybe but the amps are really nice sounding units.

John76 likes this.
  23. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I would think that NAD would have sorted out any such problem by now. The best hi-fi dealers in my area all carry the line and I'm sure they would have dropped the product if there were huge QC problems. Not good for their hi-end custom install businesses.

The OP has not even made it clear what the problem was with his unit and had not even had the unit evaluated by a technician. For all I know, it could have been a blown protection fuse, especially if there were no early intermittent faults.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yeah, praise for NAD from satisfied customers in the context of this discussion is pure thread crapping! Cut it out people!

25. coopmv

I would have preferred fuses that are accessible without having to open up the amp. I replaced fuses on my Conrad Johnson MF2500A twice. The replacement fuses were readily available at Radio Shack. The CJ amp replaced my NAD 218 THX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.