I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Must admit to not having heard the album in such a long time. But as a subscriber my copy will shortly be winging it's merrily way to me

2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I'd say... down to $16.40 now!

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

With a June 21 release date. Hmmmm.... maybe I'll pay the big bucks and get it sooner.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Again....

Steve never really mentioned how he mastered this or what it sounds like compared to the versions we are used to hearing.

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I remember an interesting quote from someone in TYA where they described a flaw in the original record where someone literally leaned up against the tape real, and slowed it down momentarily. I can't remember the specific song. No one caught the errror until after the record was released. This is related in an interview reprinted in What's That Sound, Rolling Stone Press. Did you come across that error?

6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Now Amazon is saying July 5.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

With the extra time maybe AF can get a Chrysalis logo printed on the disk. They sure look cheesy without it.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In another thread it was mentioned that the announcement of Carly's No Secrets being released, would push back TYA.

9. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Audio Fidelity's Space in Time

I am surprised that not much has been said about this release (I did search, but maybe just didn't get it right). I see that as of this moment, it is all the way up to 276 on Amazon, which means it has to be getting some good pre-orders. I have the Japanese release from about 8 years ago, and I am wondering if this is going to be a major upgrade. Any thoughts?

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It hasn't been released yet. Next week according to Amazon.

The original plain-Jane US CD sounds good. I can't remember if I ever heard your Japan pressing.

11. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Yes, I know, it comes out on the 5th, I believe the import was released in 2004.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. It should be good.

13. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

This is a nice release. Hope it will sell good so we can have some more Ten Years After in the future. :cool:

14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Would be nice to hear more TYA in that quality. I had a ball once again last night listening to RECORDED LIVE in 73-what a great live recording that is and the band is sizzling hot..

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

:agree:

I don't know about the rest of you but I really dig WATT.

16. nbakid2000

Steve still hasn't really mentioned why we should pick this version over the other versions that are floating around....

Can you go further in depth about the process you did, Steve?

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You've asked me that many times in this thread. Read the first post in this thread out loud. Report back.

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I didn't know Faulkner said that! :D

19. nbakid2000

I read the first post in the thread - you sweetened the midband and "polished the diamond."

I was hoping for some more detail on your mastering vs the other masterings we're used to. Did you have to correct anything that the other versions had? Were there any unique problems that you encountered that you had to solve? Besides midband and a more "polished" version, what sets your mastering apart?

I'm curious to know, as this is a great album and I'd love to hear your version and kind of know more about the process you went through to make this audiophile version.

20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Don't Poke The Bear! :shh: :laugh:

21. peter

peter Senior Member

This CD is going to sell out lightning fast. And it should.

Nice one, boss.

22. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Amazon has this listed as out of stock, and I noticed that on 3 other retailers, I get 3 different release dates. What gives??

23. The answers to all these questions are "trade secrets".

:)

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

release date end of July.

25. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this, one of my alltime favorite lps. And it's likely it'll be the first cd version coming directly from the orginal 2-track masters, cool!