I'm listening through Judas Priest's studio discography today. Ask me anything.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

The version of "Victim of Changes" from "Unleashed in the East" is 1000x better than the studio version, no question. I feel you're truly missing out by skipping over this one. And as an aside, Every song on Kiss Alive! are better than their studio counterparts, with maybe the exception being "Nothing to Lose".

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Not at all. Raw Deal is my favorite track on Sin After Sin. It may be one of my top 10 favorite JP songs as well. I try to listen past the lyrics (though I don't mind them) and I focus on the actual music instead. Give it a try and you'll find that it's a gem of a track.

SAS in general is underrated to me and I prefer it quite a bit over Sad Wings. Sad Wings never really got to me like it did (and still does) with most Priest fans. It's a good album, but I find it to be just a tad overrated. Still a solid 8/10 effort IMHO :)

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

"Unleashed" was the first Priest album I ever heard front to back...so as a result, I think ALL the songs on this album sound better than the studio counterpart :)

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm probably in a minority here in that I don't think most of the Unleashed songs are better than their studio counterparts. The only exception to this would be Exciter. Whereas on Stained Class it sounds very fast and nimble, on Unleashed it's positively monstrous.

But I should qualify that with I've never been much of a live album guy. There are only a handful live albums that I truly like or listen to regularly.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I hope you are not listening to any remasters :)

DiabloG and warewolf95 like this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh god, (no pun intended), see my earlier post in this thread.

All I had were the remasters until just last week. Holy **** the difference.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  7. warewolf95

It's ok - I've got hundreds of KISS bootlegs and Judas Priest bootlegs. Besides, even though UITE is 95% live, KISS Alive is pretty much a studio recreation. Great album, yes, but just not needed by me.

:)

For me, live shows are about the history - the moment in time all those years ago that this concert took place on this day and these people were in the audience, etc. etc. Not bashing live albums at all - but for me personally, I'd much rather just collect shows. :)

Led Zeppelin's "How The West Was Won" is a very rare exception, though :D

8. Maidenpriest

:laugh::laugh::laugh::biglaugh: (and we really didn't, crazy but true:cheers:)

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. warewolf95

Jugulator is a borderline yes if it was more melodic and had less macho posturing. Demolition is a solid yes to me. Both are different but still just barely Priest :)

Also, I ****ing love Ripper. Iced Earth anyone? :)

alexanderino likes this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Totally true. I would have been a bit too young in 84 to see it anyway.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Maidenpriest

If your gonna be Gay, check out Hot Rockin :laugh:

alexanderino and warewolf95 like this.
  12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Good song, but what an awful video.

13. Maidenpriest

Its good looking back at it now but in a 'kitch' retro way, I don't remember but back in the day we probably thought it was cool :)

alexanderino and warewolf95 like this.
  14. warewolf95

Calls "Hot Rockin" video bad - has obviously never seen KISS "Tears Are Falling"....

:)

Maidenpriest likes this.
  15. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

My mint UK Gull Records A1/B1 press of Sad Wings of Destiny sounds amazing!

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

My top 5 Priest are the first 4 and then Hell through Defenders are tied for 5th.
    As heavy as painkiller is i don't think the songs are as good as previous albums.
    When I think of turbo and ram I think of vomit.:)
    Don't really care for much else except for a tune here and there.
    Your missing out on Unleashed its a cocaine fueled speed fest.
    Live sinner is KK's shinning moment on that record.
    They fixed it up I read don't care great album.

GodShifter and warewolf95 like this.
  17. aitor

aitor New Member

I consider most of Rob Halford's solo material to be great. Check out:

Fight - War of Words (great vocals, great drumming by Scott Travis, great lyrics... just impressive, all songs credited just to Rob Halford)
    Halford - Resurrection (there's bonus tracks on the japanese version and remastered version; also there's vinyl)
    Halford - Live Insurrection (great album; check out "Light Comes Out Of Black" -a Rob Halford featuring Pantera song, originally on Buffy The Vampire Slayer OST 1992-, "Hear Of A Killer" -a Judas Priest song only released as a demo on Metalogy-...)
    Halford - Crucible (several versions containing 4 different bonus tracks, and a remixed & remastered version, don't miss the bonus track "She")
    Halford - Made Of Metal

Ripper Owens era Priest:

Judas Priest - Jugulator
    Judas Priest - '98 Live Meltdown (I enjoy this live album, it's a different take on all the classics, don't miss "Rapid Fire" and "Diamonds and Rust")

There's lots more, but I would mention one from Ripper Owens: Winters Bane - Heart Of A Killer, I still believe this is one of Tim's best performance.

Maidenpriest, warewolf95 and DJ LX like this.
  18. aitor

aitor New Member

I meant "Heart Of A Lion" on Halford - Live Insurrection.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

KISS "Crazy Nights" Paul Stanley with what I remember being a glittery basketball jersey? The ass shakes he does in this video blow him right out of the closet. No wonder Gene bagged so many women, Paul would send them away, Ace was passed out, and Peter was with someone.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Has anyone heard the 2015 version of Essential Judas Priest? Just wondering how the sound quality is?

21. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

I've been wondering, too...
    Has Sony finally realized that John Astley's "mastering" is awful? The original Essential used said hack-jobs, so I'd definitely advise against that one...
    That recent four CD box, the one with the red cover, was mastered by Vic Anesini. I've read that it sounds great. Maybe this is, too? That'd be fantastic.
    There was some discussion of Vic Anesini vis-à-vis Priest here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ks-73-93-questions-info.426507/#post-12132714

22. warewolf95

Don't even mention the videos for Rock Hard and Let's Put The X In Sex....

23. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I've been listening to a bunch of 1980 bootlegs lately and I've got to say there was nothing wrong with Dave Holland's playing. In particular songs like The Sinner and Genocide he sounds like he was really bringing it. A while back I listened to some 1984 shows and I noted that in The Sinner he was still sounding good.

Pouchkine, Curveboy and warewolf95 like this.
  24. warewolf95

I never thought there was anything wrong with Holland's playing. He was simply their Phil Rudd. Not too flashy, keepin the beat and kickin ass.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was listening to a Judas Priest tune on XM radio and I think what struck me is that for all of their delving into faster heavy tracks ("Free Wheel Burning" was the tune that was on), with Dave Holland and Ian Hill as a rhythm section, it's just kind of not up to snuff. Holland sounds out of his element and Hill is just so basic. Even the guitars sound like they're struggling with music that doesn't match their strengths and dexterity.

I don't know if that makes much sense, but, to me, JP often musically sounds like it's a bit forced and overachieving a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.