I'm sick of NYC shops attitude towards customers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

A friend and I were recently in New York City for couple days and decided to audition speakers. We went to a local dealer and asked if we could demo Shindo speakers. Without looking up from his desk, the salesman first asked if we had an appointment. Their web site mentions nothing about making an appointment. He tells us that he would need advance notice so that he can set them up. During this exchange he never looks up to make eye contact and continues to play with his phone.
    As we head into his demo room he follows and when we ask about the Devore O/96 which he has connected, he walks out so we figure that he might be getting something for demo. However he returns with a duster and proceeds to dust the room. He then asks what we would be using with the speakers, after telling him, he basically tells us that our gear is mass produced and these require more refined equipment. Really? We both have systems at the $100k level. I guess that we were not suitable customers for him.
    Same goes with almost every record shop that we went in, if you are older they simply don't want to bother with you, they are so cool. I'm a NYC native but the treatment I get there has always been crap. You are simply not sophisticated enough for them to help you. I've never experienced this treatment in other cities.
    My friend and I laughingly said that we should open a record store called "you're not good enough", with a no browsing sign.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Don't get so riled up. An upscale furniture store will do the same thing sans an appointment or decorator. They're acclimated to wannabes like most of us wasting their time and energy with no chance of an actual sale. I'm not excusing rude behavior, but in a place like New York or (or Tokyo or London, etc.) I would think the sheer number of non-customers who want an hour's attention would wither the patience of even the most polite salesmen.

As for record stores and older customers (like me), the clerks have probably learned they have little to nothing to offer us in the way of advice or recommendations. We already know more than they do and often aren't shy about telling them that. Just read some of the threads here!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    kannibal, Scott222C, Murph and 3 others like this.
  3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I no longer deal with "audio shops" here in NY. They failed to earn my business a long time ago.

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I think your experience is pretty typical of any high and audio shop, and is not typical of your average NYC shop, so your title is very misleading.

PhantomStranger and kevinsinnott like this.
  5. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I probably would have spat on him.

motorcitydave, Karnak, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  6. Sort of related, went record shopping in NYC recently and the prices were nuts. 50$ bucks for a beat up copy of McCartney I

Drifter and EasterEverywhere like this.
  7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

One might guess this shop’s customers generally have systems comprised of gear sold only at this particular shop.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

What better way to showcase your refinement...

Dino, Sneaky Pete, Coricama and 5 others like this.
  9. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

It would have been a loogie fit for a queen.

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

That actually would be refreshing to witness... I totally understand what the OP described. The elitism in many hifi shops is a real drag. I only ever found one truly great (and non-judgmental) dealer. But he is now deceased...

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

...wtf

2xUeL, 24voltsdc and Atmospheric like this.
  12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

UNFOUNDED PERSONAL GENERALIZATION WARNING

I’ve found cultural differences (duh) between NYS and TX. One location requires the consumer to come on to the sales associate and prequalify by bragging and poncing about, like some weird mating ritual. The other location typically presents a theatrical over-eagerness to please by the sales associate—essentially a seduction of the buyer. Don’t know why or how, but it seems to apply all the way up from a cup of coffee or car repair to buying a house.

13. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I say, get upset.

These sales folks are the reason many people don't want to bother with records or cds or stereo systems. Expensive and rude? I'm walking away.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I wonder which State has experienced more growth? Hummmm...

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm over there in March. I must keep an eye out for this! :D

16. TommyTunes

Not really, I've been in stores in a number of cities and I'm never treated like in NYC and I've bought from stores not in my area when a brand is not available locally. Yes, high end tends to have a snobbish attitude but NYC stores take it to new levels. I'm more or less used to the typical attitude of record stores, the scenes in the High Fidelity movie with Jack Black is the closest Hollywood ever got to getting it right.

ShawnX likes this.
  17. TommyTunes

The customer is not always right but don't assume they are wrong without first talking to them.

Karnak and jupiterboy like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

It is strange going into high end shops with the feeling I know more than the sales people do. And knowing full well anything they show me won't impress me all that much.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Canadians eh? Bang goes the wholesome image. Best not try that if you ever go to Glasgow mind...just sayin'!

20. Raylinds

I'll take your word for it as I haven't been in a Hi Fi shop outside of NYC in decades. But I have had some great experiences in non-hifi shops in NYC. As far as record shops, I've had good experiences at Academy Records on E. 12th Street.
    I'm sorry your experience wasn't better- I hate when people give NYC a bad rep like that guy in the Hi Fi shop.

jupiterboy likes this.
  21. TommyTunes

Please see my profile, perhaps if they first were to talk with me BEFORE they make an assumption they might change their attitude. Also I'm a native New Yorker even though I haven't lived there in 20 years and still have a heavy accent.

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Honestly, I try and establish a relationship with the person/shop who designs the gear I buy. I find they tend to be proud of their work and engaged in making me happy. Sales culture just blows. It thinks of everything as product and puts an inflated importance on the sales negotiation, and often fosters a false perception that they are coercing the consumer into buying instead of leading the consumer to the best option.

ShawnX likes this.
  23. TommyTunes

I'm sorry to say both my friend and I left NYC after our 40th birthdays and while the average New Yorker is still a great person, more and more stereotypical NYC attitude permeating sales staff in stores.

24. Raylinds

I guess it is 'tis the season to be grumpy for retail staff.

The FRiNgE and c-eling like this.
  25. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

You nailed it.

I had a boss who came from this sales culture. She was successful but it came at a high price. Always selling. Consumers, co-workers, her family. Every relationship was a "I win, you lose relationship".

I also think she was a sociopath. So....:)

Billy Infinity and jupiterboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.