In '67, what song(s) off Sgt. Peppers got heavy radio rotation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

In Los Angeles the summer of 1967 AM Radio played Lovely Rita, A Day In The Life, Lucy In The Sky, With a Little Help From My Friends constantly really saturated is the word.

ParloFax, notesfrom and LoveYourLife like this.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I was only 9 years old and I certainly remember hearing "With A Little Help From My Friends" on the radio. I also remember the easy listening station my grandparents listened to playing "When I'm 64".

Fullbug and ParloFax like this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I completely agree with you. I was addressing the fact that, regardless of whether it was or was not a concept album, many pop concept albums existed before it.

colgems1966 likes this.
  4. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Right, and AM stations played the hell out of 'Headquarters'. Mostly 'Shades of Gray', 'Forget That Girl', 'Randy Scouse Git', and 'You Just May Be The One'. There is an aircheck of WKLO from 5-67 where the announcer is touting YJMBTO as the next 45 rpm single, "available in record stores next week!". I wonder if RCA pressed up some acetates?

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

6. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

"A Day In The Life" may have gotten the lion's share of airplay, as it appears there was a 'leaked' acetate (with a 'cold' intro) from EMI that made the rounds.
    Mr. Hoffman weighed in on this in 11/2015:

I once read about the "leaked" A DAY IN THE LIFE" with the cold opening and how it made its way across America, one dub at a time. Can't remember much except that it was an "EMI DISK" (acetate dub) that was duplicated onto 7 1/2 ips tape.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

9. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

10. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

This KJR chart shows 4 of the Sgt. Pepper cuts charting:
    : T40
    KJR - CHANNEL 95 - SEATTLE/TACOMA
    FABULOUS FIFTY
    JUNE 16, 1967

1. Windy – Association 7
    2. San Francisco – Scott McKenzie 10
    3. Come On Down To My Boat – Every Mother’s Son 1
    4. Little Bit O’ Soul – Music Explosion 2
    5. Let’s Live For Today – Grass Roots 4
    6. A Day In The Life – Beatles LP 11
    7. Groovin’ – Young Rascals 3
    8. She’d Rather Be With Me – Turtles 8
    9. Mirage – Tommy James And Shondells 16
    10. I Think We’re Alone Now – Tommy James And The Shondells 5
    11. Tracks Of My Tears – Johnny Rivers 23
    12. Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead – Fifth Estate 22
    13. Don’t Sleep In The Subway – Petula Clark 21
    14. I’ll Spend My Life With You – Monkees LP 15
    15. Somebody To Love – Jefferson Airplane 6
    16. Up, Up And Away – Fifth Dimension 24
    17. Sounds Of Love – Five Americans 25
    18. My World Fell Down – Sagitarius 27
    19. Hip Hug Her – Booker T And M.G.’S 9
    20. New York Mining Disaster-1941 – The Bee Gees 14
    21. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – Beatles --
    22. Come To The Sunshine – Harpers Bazaar 30
    23. White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane 47
    24. I Got Rhythm – Happenings 17
    25. Do It Again A Little Bit Slower – Jon And Robin 18
    26. Him Or Me-What’s It Gonna Be – Paul Revere & Raiders 19
    27. Here We Go Again – Ray Charles 28
    28. Girl, You’ll Be A Woman – Neil Diamond 12
    29. Sunday Will Never Be The Same – Spanky And Our Gang 26
    30. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli 32
    31. Release Me – Englebert Humperdinck 13
    32. She’s Leaving Home – Beatles LP 31
    33. Respect – Aretha Franklin 20
    34. Light My Fire – The Doors 46
    35. When I’m 64 – Beatles LP 41
    36. Carrie Anne – Hollies --
    37. Look Of Love – Dusty Springfield --
    38. Come On, Marianne – The Four Seasons 39
    39. Don’t Blame It On The Children – Sammy Davis Jr. 29
    40. Jackson – Nancy Sinatra 50
    41. Day Light Savings Time – Keith 40
    42. I Take It Back – Sandy Posey --
    43. The River Is Wide – The Forum 33
    44. Bowling Green – Everly Brothers 35
    45. A Whiter Shade Of Pale – Procol Harum 43
    46. Alfie – Dionne Warwick 49
    47. Lonely Drifter – Pieces Of Eight 34
    48. Society’s Child – Janis Ian --
    49. Back Sheep – Sam The Sham 36
    50. Step Out Of Your Mind – American Breed --

PICK ALBUM
    The Motown Sound: A Collection Of Hits

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

NO 45 singles serviced in that period! LP! Take it or leave it. Want to play something off it, album cut. NO singles from the LP until "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends" in 1978. Facts!!!

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not reality! NO 45 RPM singles. No Jukebox 7" 33 1/3 EP released. How could the jukebox play Sgt. Pepper's?. The closest thing to a coin operated jukebox which could would have been a Seeburg Home Console which used the Select-O-Matic mechanism which played 33 1/3 RPM normal LP discs, one side at a time. Some restaurants, night clubs, and some adult establishments did use them.

ParloFax likes this.
  13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Just now jumped into this thread, and allow me to make this observation:

It is folly to make a universal statement with utter confidence as to "what Top 40 stations did" when Sgt. Pepper came out based on one's own personal experience in June of 1967. That's because one's experience of "what Top 40 stations did" will be limited to what the stations in one's own market did, possibly supplemented by a very small sample of a few additional clear channel Top 40 stations one could pull in late at night.

Beyond this, no listener in 1967 would have been able to accurately give a broad answer to this question, since no listener would have been able to listen to a large enough sample of stations to do so.

That being said, it is a reality that the vast majority of Top 40 stations in the US played singles, and it was rare for them to play album cuts.

A few stations might have featured one album cut on their airwaves each week (you can find some surveys that reference this).

A few others might have taken an educated guess as to what an artist's next single from an album might be, and try to get a jump on the competition by playing it early. (For example, a Top 40 station I listened to played The Mamas and Papas' "Creeque Alley" — the album version — well in advance of it being released as a single. Therefore, when the song was remixed for the single with added horns, etc., it came as a great surprise to hear it, as we had been used to hearing the LP cut.)

But I believe these were likely exceptions to the rule.

So all I can do is to state what the Top 40 stations *I* listened to the most did. One of them played the Sgt. Pepper album in its entirety, I believe most likely on the first Sunday evening after it was released. I know this because I wrote down the title of each track as it was played on an index card, which I still have to this day. (I entered the last track on side one as "Beamed for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"!)

After this, I never heard this station play another cut from Sgt. Pepper. And I never heard the other Top 40 station I listened to play a track from the LP — not once.

McLover and ParloFax like this.
  14. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

As far as my memory serves A.M. radio played no songs from Pepper because there weren't any singles taken from the LP...

Underground radio on the other hand played it all....continuously

Pepper was the album that everybody owned & I do mean everybody....

Not unlike Pink Floyd DSOTM in the 1970s...

Ashes to ashes...

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm certain that James Hendricks was engaging in a bit of wishful thinking/misremembering/hyperbole when he wrote that line in "Summer Rain."

However, I'm also fairly certain that many years ago I did see a 7" Jukebox LP version of the Sgt. Pepper album (not in real life, but online). I cannot find any reference to such an animal now, but I don't think I made it up either.

Still, as you imply and others have stated (including myself, in the form of a trivia question that asks what impossible event is described in the lyrics of "Summer Rain"), the likelihood that anyone spent any time in 1967 "groovin' in the sand" to the strains of Sgt. Pepper emanating from a jukebox is extremely small.

McLover likes this.
  16. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Your lack of understanding is correct. ;)

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No heavy rotation of any Pepper tracks in the UK at the time. Occasionally one heard Lucy In The Sky, With A Little Help, She's Leaving Home or A Day In The Life but not on the regular pop chart programmes.

18. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Yes Agree. Mainstream radio concentrated on the singles market. Wasn't Lucy in the Sky banned by the BBC anyway. When I'm 64 was played a lot but not much in '67 I doubt. Just can't remember what Radio Caroline or Luxembourg was playing.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The radio stations were spinning nearly everything that is on the MMT album (which grouped all the 1967 singles). Later, the "Yellow Submarine" movie brought more attention to Pepper tracks that were featured.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

What we seem to have established so far in this thread:

(1) The top 40 stations that some people could hear at the time played all or most of Sgt pepper in moderate to heavy rotation.
    (2) The top 40 stations that other people listened to did not.
    (3) There has been a sufficient number of replies from members geographically scattered to conclude that many tracks from the album WERE played in many places.
    (4) Sgt Pepper's was groundbreaking, if only because of point (3), but was a themed album rather than a concept album. (We knew this already didn't we?)
    (5) "Summer Rain", written by James Hendricks and sung by Johnny Rivers, mentions a jukebox playing the album. When we have finally figured out the significance of this seemingly impossible event (I think there is no significance at all, just a bit of writer's licence, but let it pass), we can return to dissecting the deep meaning behind "Jet" by Paul McCartney, and perhaps get started on "Bip Bop".

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

And don't forget how Elvis Double Trouble soundtrack took away from some of the initial buzz from Sgt. Pepper LOL

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

within a certain very specific demographic, possibly. :D

I never heard of this album; I didn't think Elvis was recording anything at that early stage. Unless you are referring to the other Elvis.

23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I’m curious to hear how the DJs back in the day transitioned to the Sgt. Pepper’s album. After all, most stations were designed to play 45 RPM singles so I can only imagine how they were able to play tracks from an album that was 33 1/3 not to mention which songs to choose when there was no word from EMI how to do so.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Again, this illustrates the differences in radio between different countries, and possibly different places within countries. In Australia it was not particularly unusual for a DJ to play the occasional album track, though I think Sgt Pepper made it become a lot more common. I can't imagine it being too much of a technological challenge to set the station up for playing 33 RPM.

25. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

As a 9 year old kid in the UK, I couldn't afford the album (break out the violins!) so listening to the radio was my only window to hearing the album.

I recall that the only songs I'd quite often hear, were She's Leaving Home (probably more than any other), and also With A Little Help and When I'm 64.

When I finally purchased the album, somewhere around 1972, most of the other songs (apart from Lucy and Sgt Pepper, which I'd heard in the Yellow Sub film) were unfamiliar to me.

chrisblower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.